Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2012, 11:22 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,943,387 times

Advertisements

I wanted to underscore the fact that the concept of Marriage Equality - legalizing the marriage of same sex couples is not just an American issue. This struggle is going on in many countries around the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2012, 12:20 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,198,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Post on brotha! I also read that Minnesota is gearing up to introduce marriage equality next year as well.

the reason from friends I know of in Minnesota, they have told me that the law banning gay marriage was not voted in favor of was because it would have costed the state millions to fix. money is something the state doesnt have at the moment. expect a future bill to be put up for a vote banning gay marriage in Minnesota.

do I think it is right nope, just telling you how it is.

just so you know, marriage equality will also be voted down in Minnesota too.

Old 01-03-2013, 11:41 AM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,767,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Because being able to deal with multiple issues at the same time is so tough.
Thank you, Fiyero! I was about to say the same!

Old 01-03-2013, 12:19 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
The advance of Marriage Equality is happening all over the world. In just the past couple weeks the legalization of same sex marriage advancing in countries on different continents. On top of that former Republican House Leader Newt Gingrich has predicted the triumph of legalized same sex marriage, and Conservative author and commentator George Will has declared on ABC This Week news program hosted by George Stephanopoulos that "opposition to same sex marriage is literally dying."

• Same sex marriage was just legalized in Brazil's Sao Paulo State, most populous in the nation of Brazil, and the courts have ordered the status of all same sex couples who are registered in civil unions to be switched to legally married status. Home of Brazil's ( and the Western Hemisphere's) most populous city, Sao Paulo State has a population of 41 million people.
  • Meanwhile, the national government in Brazil is debating and considering legalizing same sex marriage throughout that nation.
  • The lower house of the government of Uruguay has passed a law legalizing same sex marriage in that country. It now goes to the upper house for ratification.
  • The government of Thailand has just passed a kingdom-wide civil union law for same sex couples. It will be implemented in two months. Although not an official recognition of marriage it is considered a progressive step in recognizing gay and lesbian couples.
  • In the United Kingdom and in France, Marriage Equality is a hotly debated topic. Government leaders in both those countries are promising to pass laws legalizing same sex marriage in the very near future. The president of France is hoping it will be law in the next 2 or 3 months.
  • On the heels of the victories in the 2012 elections in Maine, Maryland, Washington and Minnesota, the following states are putting into high gear the passage of Marriage Equality: Illinois, Hawai'i, Delaware, Rhode Island, and New Jersey.
  • Legal scholars are predicting that one or more sections of California's "Prop 8" will fall when the US Supreme Court makes a ruling in early 2013, thus restoring the right of same sex California couples to marry. Although it is unlikely SCOTUS will make a broad ruling and invalidate all anti-Marriage Equality laws throughout the US (something that is in their power), even a narrow ruling applying only to California, the nation's most populous state, will have an impact on the entire nation.
That's good news for gays, because now they have more places to move to, to have a big fat gay wedding.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 01-03-2013 at 12:58 PM..

Old 01-03-2013, 12:30 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,692,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
And the dominoes of evil conservatism are falling all over the world.

The only pathetic thing is how many countries are passing it before the "Greatest Nation on Earth".
It's funny, a lot of South American countries are full of deeply religious people and yet they still seem more tolerant of homosexuality than the US, where religious fundies aren't a gigantic part of the population (they just have really loud voices)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cw30000 View Post
Yea, gay marriage is much more important than everything else this country is facing. Fvck the national debt. Only 16 trillions and counting. Gay marriage is more important because it doesn't hurt anyone.
You act as if Congress can only do one thing at a time, which is patently false.

Old 01-03-2013, 12:50 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
This is good news, it is about time for this to become an accepted non-issue, then hopefully we can have equality for woman and give them full rights of their own bodies.

Old 01-03-2013, 01:27 PM

753 posts, read 728,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cw30000 View Post
Yea, gay marriage is much more important than everything else this country is facing. Fvck the national debt. Only 16 trillions and counting. Gay marriage is more important because it doesn't hurt anyone.
Yeah, because it's impossible to be both concerned about the debt and to be concerned about other things at the same time.

Why, it's as hard as walking and chewing gum simultaneously...

Got any more idiotic strawmen to knock down?

Old 01-03-2013, 01:30 PM

753 posts, read 728,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
the reason from friends I know of in Minnesota, they have told me that the law banning gay marriage was not voted in favor of was because it would have costed the state millions to fix. money is something the state doesnt have at the moment. expect a future bill to be put up for a vote banning gay marriage in Minnesota.
This is simply idiotic. It was a proposed constitutional amendment that would have changed precisely nothing. It was voted down because the people by and large were opposed to the bigotry that you pretend not to support.

Quote:
do I think it is right nope, just telling you how it is.

just so you know, marriage equality will also be voted down in Minnesota too.
Following your demonstration of complete ignorance of what went on in Minnesota last year, you proclaim to know what will happen in Minnesota this year.

You're a joke.

Old 01-10-2013, 05:00 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,461,491 times
I was not sure where to post this but this looks as good as any place.

Colorado will have gay civil unions by May 1. While not technically gay marriage gay people will have all the state benefits that marriage would have so for me I am ok with this.

This is from Outfront Colorado:

Colorado gay and lesbian couples should be able to legally form civil unions May 1, after a bill creating them here is expected to be signed by the governor no later than mid-March.

The link: Colo. civil unions expected to begin May 1 in bill introduced today - Out Front

Old 01-10-2013, 07:03 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,259,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
The advance of Marriage Equality is happening all over the world. In just the past couple weeks the legalization of same sex marriage advancing in countries on different continents. On top of that former Republican House Leader Newt Gingrich has predicted the triumph of legalized same sex marriage, and Conservative author and commentator George Will has declared on ABC This Week news program hosted by George Stephanopoulos that "opposition to same sex marriage is literally dying."

• Same sex marriage was just legalized in Brazil's Sao Paulo State, most populous in the nation of Brazil, and the courts have ordered the status of all same sex couples who are registered in civil unions to be switched to legally married status. Home of Brazil's ( and the Western Hemisphere's) most populous city, Sao Paulo State has a population of 41 million people.

• Meanwhile, the national government in Brazil is debating and considering legalizing same sex marriage throughout that nation.

• The lower house of the government of Uruguay has passed a law legalizing same sex marriage in that country. It now goes to the upper house for ratification.

• The government of Thailand has just passed a kingdom-wide civil union law for same sex couples. It will be implemented in two months. Although not an official recognition of marriage it is considered a progressive step in recognizing gay and lesbian couples.

• In the United Kingdom and in France, Marriage Equality is a hotly debated topic. Government leaders in both those countries are promising to pass laws legalizing same sex marriage in the very near future. The president of France is hoping it will be law in the next 2 or 3 months.

• On the heels of the victories in the 2012 elections in Maine, Maryland, Washington and Minnesota, the following states are putting into high gear the passage of Marriage Equality: Illinois, Hawai'i, Delaware, Rhode Island, and New Jersey.

• Legal scholars are predicting that one or more sections of California's "Prop 8" will fall when the US Supreme Court makes a ruling in early 2013, thus restoring the right of same sex California couples to marry. Although it is unlikely SCOTUS will make a broad ruling and invalidate all anti-Marriage Equality laws throughout the US (something that is in their power), even a narrow ruling applying only to California, the nation's most populous state, will have an impact on the entire nation.
This will be a great day for a couple I know who got together the same time I met and married my husband. He'd long past history. They are the couple I most wish my marriage could have been like. They deserve to be able to call it legal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies