Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2012, 09:53 PM

2,256 posts, read 2,132,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian34 View Post
white felons are more likely to get callbacks than blacks with no record
http://travel.nytimes.com/2005/06/17...lons.html?_r=0

"black names" in job hunting
'Black' Names A Resume Burden? - CBS News

incomes by race
Distribution of Household Income by Race — Infoplease.com
1) Don't have a record...

2) Shaneyney is not a "black name." Its made up nonsense...

3) Get a better education...

Old 12-27-2012, 09:53 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,897,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian34 View Post
who mistakes aa for Africans? in America? this never happens. almost certain it happens the other way around, Africans mistaken for aa. some are not to keen on being mistaken for black Americans. i will give them this much, many of them come from cultures that are very different from aa. same with Afro Latinos. in this country, whites and blacks are the two distinct groups who have the most in common culturally.
Well it really depends on where you are. I have been mistaken for Nigerian, partially because I look vaguely Nigerian, and partially because I went to a good college. The college I went to has a huge african population, and half of them are Nigerians. This has also happened to several of my friends. But where we live in california, a good portion of the "upwardly mobile" (for lack of a better term) black people are africans, generally nigerians, ethiopians or ghanaians.

On a semi related note, this is a really interesting story about an actress being rejected for roles, because she wasn't "black enough."

I’m a Commercial Actress and I’m Constantly Being Told I’m Not “Black Enough” | Clutch Magazine

Old 12-27-2012, 09:54 PM

734 posts, read 933,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
And yet the moment they get out of Nigeria they get their money together and buy a book on engineering. Black Americans are more likely to get their money together and buy a pack of Newports.

You can't argue facts. Nigerian Americans are significantly more educated than black Americans. So, if black Americans are only less educated because of racism, why are Nigerian Americans doing so well? They are 100% black and yet they are better educated than black Americans who were born here. Why isn't racism "holding them back" too?

Answer: Yes, racism does exist, but it is not nearly as bad as some would have you believe. I lived in the ghetto and I didn't see racism holding anyone back: I saw people holding themselves back.

Trust me...you have not seen pathetic until you've seen a man with a bottle of booze in one hand, cigaret in another, crack in his front pocket and four kids by four women going on about how "the white man ruined him."
Have you ever ventured to Nigeria? The million dollar question is, why must "smart" Nigerians venture to Europe or the U.S. to study? Why are they incapable of developing their own stellar academic institutions?

Nigerian Americans flee their nation because they know that their government is vastly corrupt. I strongly urge all black Americans to visit various nations throughout Africa. One will quickly learn the truth. Again, they have an entire nation and yet they are still unable to develop it. Anyone who has any means or professional standing quickly leaves for Europe or the U.S. How then are these people in any situation to criticize black Americans, when they can't even develop their own nation?

If you don't see the irony, then well I don't really know what else to tell you...

Old 12-27-2012, 09:55 PM

3,027 posts, read 2,522,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
What I am saying is that so many of these "black names" aren't black but just absurd. Nobody in Africa names their kid "Ropesia" or "Shay'West" (both people I actually knew) Most of the Africans I've met either have English or French names, like Pierre, George or Jill, or have Arabic origin "Muslim names", like Mohammad, Aisha or Omar.

At what point did black American folks go crazy with the names anyway?
these types of naming trends have little to do with race and everything to do with class. neither of my children have made up meaningless names. nor do i or my husband or our parents. my name is not common in anglo culture, but it is a popular greek name adopted by many people in mexico. and no, i am not any of those nationalities.

Old 12-27-2012, 09:58 PM

734 posts, read 933,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Well it really depends on where you are. I have been mistaken for Nigerian, partially because I look vaguely Nigerian, and partially because I went to a good college. The college I went to has a huge african population, and half of them are Nigerians. This has also happened to several of my friends. But where we live in california, a good portion of the "upwardly mobile" (for lack of a better term) black people are africans, generally nigerians, ethiopians or ghanaians.

On a semi related note, this is a really interesting story about an actress being rejected for roles, because she wasn't "black enough."

I’m a Commercial Actress and I’m Constantly Being Told I’m Not “Black Enough” | Clutch Magazine
There's a strong history of a black middle/upper income class in the U.S. Author/attorney Lawrence Otis Graham chronicles the black American elite, in his book entitled, Our Kind of People.

Old 12-27-2012, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
What is round eyes?
Almond eyes:

Round eyes

Old 12-27-2012, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly1224 View Post
There's a strong history of a black middle/upper income class in the U.S. Author/attorney Lawrence Otis Graham chronicles the black American elite, in his book entitled, Our Kind of People.
Yes there is. Not really Northern California though. There isn't a long history of a visible black middle or upper middle class community. Most live in predominately white areas (which creates a different set of identity issues for the kids).

Old 12-27-2012, 10:02 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,667,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Uh; tell THAT to PWT: they ain't liked by "higher class" white people tho they may look the same.
Difference between "not liked" and entrenched marginalization. When poor whites continue to think they have it better than blacks of any kind, they know that they've got it pretty good despite everything.

Old 12-27-2012, 10:06 PM

3,027 posts, read 2,522,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Incredibly disrespectful of people's familial history. Weren't you just talking about family? Well my friends Regina is Guyanian-American, her parents, grandparents, cousins, etc are all from there, and have hundreds of years worth of history there.

Again, you do not get to tell them that they are or are not, or which parts of their history matter and do not. It is plain old not your business.

So what? The relatively common name "Dolores", means "pain" in its native language. There are lots of names that are common here that can have an unpleasant connotation in their native language.

Again, so what? Many Irish names are just the names of places, Kerry, Devon, etc.

So now you get to decide what race, ethnicity, etc people are, what country they come from, AND whether their names are "stupid" or not?

Really? Why?
exactly. my daughter's name in some cultures means "unfading beauty", but in others means "bitter". true to her name she is gorgeous and vengefully evil. lol.

Old 12-27-2012, 10:07 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,667,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Uh; "free people of color" before the Civil War had it better than us "Irish" in places like Boston. Our rep ws THAT bad.
How about any black south of the Mason/Dixon Line? How good did that .5% have it there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies