Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2012, 08:43 AM

4,877 posts, read 4,513,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Don't forget married men......no married men unless they or their wives have been sterlized.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2012, 08:44 AM

4,877 posts, read 4,513,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itlltickleurinnerds View Post
This line of thinking works only in a good moving economy where there is a job waiting down the street if you don't like the one your at. Right now your idea will fall flat on its face. People will stay with a job even if its dangerous if there is nothing else. Look at the those working in Coal mines, its dangerous and causes health problems but people do it because its all thats available at a living wage. I doubt that anyone would work in a coal mine if they could don a white shirt and tie and sit around a water cooler all day. LMAO Really? Thats your answer let them eat cake?
Get the government out of the way and you almost always have a good economy.

There is always work to be done. Always. And there is always someone willing to do the work. And there is always someone willing to pay someone to do the work. No need for the government to interfere. Or unions.

Old 12-31-2012, 08:47 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,568,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Before you get too upset, no one is telling these stores that they must be open on Sundays.
No, just how they must do business. Can you say loss of freedom?

Old 12-31-2012, 08:51 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,824,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cap1717 View Post
No, of course not! business (with the exception of emergency services) Should be able to control their own hours of operation, as they now do. I would be delighted to see more business closed on Sunday. I would be fine with the German System that closes retail business early on Saturdays and do not re-open until Monday. I would be DELIGHTED to see retail stores closed on ALL commonly celebrated holiday, both secular and religious, in the U.S. These adjustments are easily adapted to (I lived my entire childhood and youth in such a system), and will even, most likely, promote "neighborliness". . . .Can I borrow a cup of sugar? an egg? These things happened frequently in the 40's and 50's, and we lived in both harmony and interdependence with our neighbors.
The U.S. manufactured most of what it consumbed back then. Now the economy is dominated by what we consume, regardless of where the stuff was made. Unemployment would soar if we followed the German System.

BTW, the average federal income tax rate paid in Germany is 42%. Sales tax/VAT is 19%.

Old 12-31-2012, 09:07 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,103,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
Please someone tell me what gives the federal Govt the right to tell an employer and employee what their voluntary private contract should include in the first place?
If you or your employer wish to enter into a employment contract, or you are covered by a collective bargaining agreement go right a head. The federal government isn't going to say a word.

But just being hired by a company does not a contract make as a result to provide the bare minimum protection for workers the Congress has passed a series of laws to provide the most minimum protections for workers under the power granted to it under the Commerce Clause. This is why you can't be coerced into bargaining away your minimum wage, workmen's compensation, or work place safety.

Old 12-31-2012, 09:15 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,863,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
So religion in this case is OK. The Greens can come right out and say that for religious purposes we take a day of rest - enjoy the day off. That's fine.

Religion with respect to abortion is not OK. The Greens can say we believe in the right to not provide the means to kill a baby for religious purposes - we would support the means for adoption services. They will be fined $1.3 mil a day.

Why is one OK and not the other? Aren't both pushing a religion?

Or is it just people choosing sides because they favor one side of the issue and religion is really meaningless?
The difference is: Being open or not on Sundays is a business decision; whether on not one can use birth control is a person's private issue and has nothing to do with the business.

Mr. Hobby Lobby cannot dictate his religious practices on his employees private life.

Old 12-31-2012, 09:18 AM

1,469 posts, read 1,803,753 times
Default NOT Sunday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I belive they should be open if they want especially since most people who work M-F have only Sat and Sun to shop and do all that other stuff.

I want businesses to be closed, (with the exception of bars, clubs, and other fun events, oh and stores and other places like schools and such), on Fridays and Saturdays; I think I would get more done and have more fun too. Don't mind working on Sundays.

Old 12-31-2012, 09:39 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,338,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seekingcreativity View Post
Couldn't agree more. If we run out of liquor Saturday night we have to barter with neighbors for more or go to the bar instead of staying at the house party smh
I know, right? I don't even drink alcohol but I think it's stupid that the state is telling adults when they can and can't buy alcohol. It's ridiculous. It's perfectly legal to buy it every other day of the week, but not on Sundays? Who decided that? It's stupid. You can't buy beer or wine before noon on Sundays either and with all the transplants in Texas who don't realize that, you see people throwing fits in supermarkets on Sunday mornings on a pretty regular basis. "Whaddya mean I have to wait till NOON?"

They have a point! Why should they have to wait? What's so magical about noon? What's so magical about Sundays?

Old 12-31-2012, 10:11 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,575,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post
Or close its doors and all those employees lose their job.

Just another case of this government meddling in businesses where they have no right to be. All because of those busy body types who insist that they know what is right for everyone but themselves.
IF Hobby Lobby closes it's doors and people lose their jobs - it WILL be the fault of Hobby Lobby and NO ONE else.

I'm tired of companies doing a pi$$ poor job of running their business or whining about Obamacare and trying to put the blame somewhere else.

Hobby Lobby will either stay in business OR not - it will be ALL on them either way. They hold all the cards and they and only they will decide to keep their doors open OR not.

Old 12-31-2012, 10:13 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,857,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Based on the administration's anti-religious stance regarding Hobby Lobby covering abortion on its insurance coverage...

should the administration tell them when they can and can't be open - since it's for "religious" reasons that they are closed on Sunday?
Well, as BigDGeek pointed out, states like Texas do just that. They dictate businesses per religious whims (can't sell liquor on Sundays).

As for the administration's stance, it ought to be secular and in this case, it rightfully is. In fact, certain people shouldn't enjoy special protections under the name of religion. ALL people should be subject to same laws, much less a business entity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies