Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2013, 02:53 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,934,401 times

Advertisements

When I was young, I worked two and sometimes three jobs to take care of my family. I see help wanted signs everywhere I look. We don't have a poverty problem in this country, we have a lazyness problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2013, 12:35 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,575,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
Then they shouldn't be child care workers. That's about all I can say. It sounds callous, but I don't mean it that way. What we can't do is set minimum wage laws so high that small businesses cannot afford to employ people. Some people will fall through the cracks. That's unavoidable, and there should be a safety net for them. But supermarkets, for example, simply couldn't function if they had to pay the bagboys $40k salaries.
The biggest supermarket chain in Canada is and alway has been a union shop. My second son worked there all through high school and he was very well paid. So your assertion is just wrong. Loblaws is profitable and has fantastic stores. The prices are a little higher than the discount grocery stores but it seems not too many people care. Comparing a Loblaws store to a Walmart food store is like comparing a roach motel to the Waldorf Astoria. There are so many ways companies can save money without it effecting products and service that they don't take advantage of there is NO EXCUSE for paying their workers badly. I see manycases where if a big store doubled their pay scale they could pay for it completely just in energy savings if they refitted the building for energy efficiency. Companies could save tens of millions of dollars per year if they maintained their propeties better but they DON"T. They would like to blame their lackluster returns on their WORKERS. It's such crap. If they did not have the workers they would have nothing.

Old 01-08-2013, 12:38 PM

6,391 posts, read 5,166,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
The biggest supermarket chain in Canada is and alway has been a union shop. My second son worked there all through high school and he was very well paid. So your assertion is just wrong. Loblaws is profitable and has fantastic stores. The prices are a little higher than the discount grocery stores but it seems not too many people care. Comparing a Loblaws store to a Walmart food store is like comparing a roach motel to the Waldorf Astoria. There are so many ways companies can save money without it effecting products and service that they don't take advantage of there is NO EXCUSE for paying their workers badly. I see manycases where if a big store doubled their pay scale they could pay for it completely just in energy savings if they refitted the building for energy efficiency. Companies could save tens of millions of dollars per year if they maintained their propeties better but they DON"T. They would like to blame their lackluster returns on their WORKERS. It's such crap. If they did not have the workers they would have nothing.
You said,
Quote:
The prices are a little higher than the discount grocery stores but it seems not too many people care.
Obviously someone cares, or the other stores would not have any business.

Old 01-08-2013, 12:56 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,575,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
You said,

Obviously someone cares, or the other stores would not have any business.
Well not enough people care for Loblaws to become a slave driving exploitation machine. They have their millions of customers and I guess that's good enough for them.

Old 01-08-2013, 01:01 PM

19,615 posts, read 12,215,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
When I was young, I worked two and sometimes three jobs to take care of my family. I see help wanted signs everywhere I look. We don't have a poverty problem in this country, we have a lazyness problem.
Isn't that the truth. We have a grocery store chain that pays great wages for low skill jobs. The pay is even better for second/third shift and there are always openings because spoiled people cannot deal with it. They complain they aren't with their families enough. Yeah, it's called working, when you leave your house, go to another place and stay there for eight hours or so, so that you can provide for yourself and your family. So, you are actually not home but at work during those hours. Unless you work at home, and even still you have to spend time working.

Old 01-08-2013, 01:07 PM

17,400 posts, read 11,971,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Pentagon Paid $998,798 to Ship Two 19-Cent Washers (Update3) - Bloomberg
A small South Carolina parts supplier collected about $20.5 million over six years from the Pentagon for fraudulent shipping costs, including $998,798 for sending two 19-cent washers to an Army base in Texas, U.S. officials said.
That's not waste, that fraud. The criminals that did this were fined and convicted. You're making it seem like it's OK to pay that kind of money to ship a small part, when in fact it's NOT.

Old 01-08-2013, 01:10 PM

17,400 posts, read 11,971,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Think..someone OK'd that $998K to ship the washers.

Just imagine the fraud that is not getting caught ?

Of course they got caught. How else would we even know of this ?
One small fish in the sea of defense contractors.

That's like catching Bernie Madoff and saying "Wall Street's problems are all solved now. We caught the guy."
It's still fraud, not waste. They OK'd the shipment because someone lied. Should the govt be more aware of these kinds of things? Absolutely. But to equate fraud with waste is wrong.

Old 01-08-2013, 01:11 PM

4,738 posts, read 4,433,531 times
The purpose of a wage isn't to allow you to live in a manner you (or someone observing you) sees fit. You just have it wrong. . .

The purpose of a wage is to reimburse you for services performed for another. That is an agreement you have with that other company or individual.

If the wage is very low, and can not support you, than most likely you are competing against dependents (i.e. teens) or other supported individuals. They can accept salaries lower than what a person of working age can accept.

Based on what I'm reading on-line less than 14% of employees at wal-mart fall into the bucket your defining below. You want to raise prices to pay for 100% of employees, when only 14% fall into that bucket.

The reason these employees accept these low wages is simple:
1) they don't need the wage (teenager) to live on
2) food stamps

Seems like we could achieve the same result as above, and raise the wage, by removing food stamps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
Here's a question I've been asking 100 times on another current thread.

Now, if wages are so low at places like Macdonald's and WallMart that workers there need food stamps, then isn't this one big problem?

why should the taxpayer foot the wage bill?
why should the companies be allowed to pay so low?
what is the purpose of this system?

how about just a decent wage but no food stamps, make coming off welfare pay, surely this is the right solution?

Old 01-08-2013, 01:20 PM

50,255 posts, read 47,017,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
You know, it's not just people flipping burgers who are making minimum wage or close to it.

The median hourly wage of childcare workers was $9.28 in 2010 (meaning half make less than that). Some of them have associates degrees in early childhood education. Maybe that is their chosen profession, not just something they want to do as a stepping-stone to something else. Shouldn't they be able to support themselves doing the very valuable work of caring for other people's children?

Childcare Workers : Occupational Outlook Handbook : U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
Why?

Entry-Level Education High school diploma or equivalent
Work Experience in a Related Occupation None

I have a degree in BIO but I can't find anything in my field so I switched to computers. I'm not entitled to chase my passion AND make a bunch of coin.

Old 01-08-2013, 01:54 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,235,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Maybe people are just living too large and need to scale back to live within their means. IE: if the best you can do is working the drive thru at McDonalds then don't move out of your parents house until you can do better.
What is your opinion about it when the family bread winners can only find work at Mac donald wages?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies