Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 10:43 AM

25,962 posts, read 22,138,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
Nobody deserves a certain wage. If what you're doing requires no skill whatsoever, then why should you get a high wage for it? If you're providing a service that only a handful of people can do, such as bain surgery, then you will get paid a lot of money for your time and energy. If you're providing a service that five billion other people can do, such as punching keys on a cash register, then you aren't going to paid a lot of money for doing it. Supply and demand. It is not an employer's responsibility to see to it that an employee has a decent home, food, and utilities. An employer has a job that needs to be done, and is willing to pay a certain amount of money to get it done. If you're willing to perform that job for the offered wage, then you do it. If you're not, then you don't accept employment there. If nobody is willing to do it for the offered compensation, then the employer will be forced to raise the offer until someone is willing to do it. That's how an economy does and should work.
Yeah, and when the sewer backs up or the trash people quit picking up, you might value their services just a little bite more when you are knee deep in.................. Everyone knows the deal. We need a certain percentage of the population trapped in poverty so that someone will do the jobs that others feel they are too good to do. Actually, a lot of people don't have a choice due to education and/or location, a lot more location than education anymore. Don't even say they should just move. It is so simple for someone not in their situation. Plus, we, the taxpayers, probably paid for the education of the brain surgeon who is probably in default on his/her student loan. Don't forget the illegal work force since they work for much less than others do, live packed and layered in rundown housing to do it while we foot the bill for their medical care, etc. And, by the way, our economy is not "working".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2013, 11:22 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
This is America for you. Job opportunities are at the bottom scale. Expenses increased faster than min wage.
Now people need government assistance to just live their lives.

Food, energy, housing have all gone up more than the CPI over the years.
Those of us not on government assistance know that and budget to account for increased prices.
Those making min wage have no wiggle room and there's not much for them to cut back on either.

So the government steps in to close the gap.

This seems to be the future with those needing government help increasing, not decreasing.
Government programs now include those not even in poverty anymore with eligibility now stating 100-200-300-400% of poverty level. That's pulling in the working class now which are these min wage workers.

Old 01-14-2013, 12:03 PM

106 posts, read 159,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Yeah, and when the sewer backs up or the trash people quit picking up, you might value their services just a little bite more when you are knee deep in..................
The average trash collector makes $43000 per year. Most are unionized and have cadillac benefit plans to go with.

"Generally there's plenty of overtime and a person can easily make over $60,000 year. Im a driver in Chicago for a private company.We drive and load garbage we make from 25 to 30 hr and make 75-100k a year and it's union"

How much money does a garbage collector earn

Old 01-14-2013, 12:09 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,060,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
I had a very successful contracting business and I paid my employees at least double what all my competitors were paying their employees. It's a funny thing but I was the most successful contractor in my field in the entire region. I had this attitude that if my guys could not afford a home and a decent car, save a few bucks for a rainy day and generally get ahead working for me then I didn't want to be in that business. Ny workforce was stable and no one elses was. My guys performed better than anyone elses because they knew I respected them and their needs. They would always go the extra mile for me, like getting called out on an emergency job on Christmas eve. I had no problem getting funding from the bank. They looked at the balance sheet and gave me what I needed. Now in contrast to that my competition who paid lousy wages. They had terrible equipment, drove old broken down trucks, had unsatisfied customers chasing them all the time, were sued on a regular basis and usually went broke every couple of years. If they ever got a really good employee he was soon working for me once he found out I paid double what he was getting working for Fly by night Joe.

So, about your dare! Been there done that. I have been retired for ten years and I'm enjoying myself too much to start a new business. My wife is opening a new venture though. I hope it does well enough so er can go to Cuba more often.
Double! Really!?

People were willing to pay that much more for your business?

Me thinks I smell a rat.

Old 01-15-2013, 10:20 AM

106 posts, read 159,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Double! Really!?

People were willing to pay that much more for your business?

Me thinks I smell a rat.
People can say anything on the internet, and many will say whatever they feel will "prove" their position.

Without data that can be substantiated, there's no reason to believe or invest in this kind of claim.

Anyone who has ever run a successful business knows that price point is a vital component. The story doesn't add up.

Old 01-15-2013, 10:24 AM

Goals in America have morphed and we've set the bar so low it's underground.

Hope to get a job with the US #1 Employer now.
Wallymart, the king of part time, min wage workers.

What aspirations that gives our youth in school.

Then once you have that prestigious Wallymart job, sign up for food stamps and medicaid.
It's been de-stigmatized and expanded and advertised that being on the dole is not bad at all and even middle class folks can apply.

Yes Virginia, the US is becoming a welfare state.

Old 01-15-2013, 11:27 AM

10,553 posts, read 9,654,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Goals in America have morphed and we've set the bar so low it's underground.

Hope to get a job with the US #1 Employer now.
Wallymart, the king of part time, min wage workers.

What aspirations that gives our youth in school.

Then once you have that prestigious Wallymart job, sign up for food stamps and medicaid.
It's been de-stigmatized and expanded and advertised that being on the dole is not bad at all and even middle class folks can apply.

Yes Virginia, the US is becoming a welfare state.
And now Walmart will give veterans a chance at those high-paying jobs. I know veterans need and deserve jobs but I don't trust Walmart's display of patriotism:

"Wal-Mart Stores said today that, over the next five years, it will hire every veteran who honorably left the military in the last year. More than 100,000 people are expected to find work through the program, making it one of the largest hiring commitments for veterans on record, the nation's largest retailer said."

Wal-Mart to hire 100,000 veterans - Jan. 15, 2013

Old 01-15-2013, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
And now Walmart will give veterans a chance at those high-paying jobs. I know veterans need and deserve jobs but I don't trust Walmart's display of patriotism:

"Wal-Mart Stores said today that, over the next five years, it will hire every veteran who honorably left the military in the last year. More than 100,000 people are expected to find work through the program, making it one of the largest hiring commitments for veterans on record, the nation's largest retailer said."

Wal-Mart to hire 100,000 veterans - Jan. 15, 2013
LOL..the government gives a kickback for hiring veterans
About $10K from Uncle Sam to hire a vet.

20K veterans a year for 5 years @ $10K a pop is $200 million "free" money to Walmart courtesy of Uncle Sam.

Old 01-15-2013, 11:46 AM

491 posts, read 749,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
This is America for you. Job opportunities are at the bottom scale. Expenses increased faster than min wage.
Now people need government assistance to just live their lives.

Food, energy, housing have all gone up more than the CPI over the years.
Those of us not on government assistance know that and budget to account for increased prices.
Those making min wage have no wiggle room and there's not much for them to cut back on either.

So the government steps in to close the gap.

This seems to be the future with those needing government help increasing, not decreasing.
Government programs now include those not even in poverty anymore with eligibility now stating 100-200-300-400% of poverty level. That's pulling in the working class now which are these min wage workers.
That is why we need to not focus on changing the min wage so much as the cost of food, shelter, gas if all those went down we would not need to change the min wage.

Old 01-15-2013, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerPlayer84 View Post
That is why we need to not focus on changing the min wage so much as the cost of food, shelter, gas if all those went down we would not need to change the min wage.
All that is already being subsidized by the government to keep costs down.

LOL..try again. If not you'd be paying $7/gal for milk today and who knows what for gas (corn subsidy).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies