Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 04:47 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,653,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Why?

Entry-Level Education High school diploma or equivalent
Work Experience in a Related Occupation None

I have a degree in BIO but I can't find anything in my field so I switched to computers. I'm not entitled to chase my passion AND make a bunch of coin.
You know conservatives like to pretend they are family friendly, yet workers taking care of young children, the most precious thing in the world to most parents, are regularly paid poverty-level wages. So lets imagine all the good dedicated childcare workers switch to a higher paid field. Someone still has to do that job. Do you really think that parents want childcare centers rounding up workers from the day labour pools each day? There may come a day when we realize that some occupations are simply WORTH more than they are being paid, that market forces are just that, thoughtless market forces, and that everything in the world doesn't have to be determined by market forces.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2013, 05:31 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,582,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Why are they only working at McD's when they have a family to provide for? They should figure out a way to get a better job, get another job, or delay having a family until they can adequately provide for them without sucking off the govt.
This is the standard refrain from the peanut gallery. What id you can't find a better job genius? What if they already have a family and lose their job through no fault of there own? The comments that you make are the ultimate in, "I don't care about anyone, their problems and their struggles. I've got mine and let them eat cake for all I care." Thank the Lord people who think like you are not the ones that are in charge of our governments. Your attitude towars your fellow man is just disgusting.

Old 01-08-2013, 06:52 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,228,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
I don't know. Maybe they have a spouse who also contributes to the household salary. It would also depend on the number of children one has. And cost of living in your community. A single mother supporting 2 children earning $9.86 an hour as a childcare worker is going to need assistance.
Bingo. Don't live a life you can't afford. Don't have kids you can't afford. If you are a single mother you should be getting support from the father and if the father isn't working either you have made some rediculously bad choices in life. There are VERY few people who find themselves in these predicaments who didn't walk into them with their eyes open. Those few are the ones who need assistance and we would all gladly give it. The rest are the ones...well...I have no idea how to cure that.

Quote:
This is the standard refrain from the peanut gallery. What id you can't find a better job genius? What if they already have a family and lose their job through no fault of there own? The comments that you make are the ultimate in, "I don't care about anyone, their problems and their struggles. I've got mine and let them eat cake for all I care." Thank the Lord people who think like you are not the ones that are in charge of our governments. Your attitude towars your fellow man is just disgusting
"Through no fault of their own"...then they HAD a better job and will no doubt GET another better job even if they work at a fast food place in the meantime. Also they would have to exhaust theri unemployment benefits and personal savings. It's not that people don't care, I just don't buy the idea that someone who was making enough to support a family would forever and always be stuck in the drive thru so they should get the same salary they used to get as a middle manager or whatever. IF THEY WERE DOING A BETTER JOB BEFORE LOSING IT THROUGH NO FAULT OF THEIR OWN then they will get promoted even if they start at the bottom somewhere.

You know what my parents family did during the depression? Shared a house with another family, pooled their resources.

Last edited by Ceece; 01-08-2013 at 07:02 PM..

Old 01-08-2013, 06:54 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,057,820 times
Quote:
You know conservatives like to pretend they are family friendly, yet workers taking care of young children, the most precious thing in the world to most parents, are regularly paid poverty-level wages. So lets imagine all the good dedicated childcare workers switch to a higher paid field. Someone still has to do that job. Do you really think that parents want childcare centers rounding up workers from the day labour pools each day? There may come a day when we realize that some occupations are simply WORTH more than they are being paid, that market forces are just that, thoughtless market forces, and that everything in the world doesn't have to be determined by market forces.
Feel free to pay your child care provider what you think they are worth.

Old 01-08-2013, 06:57 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,057,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
This is the standard refrain from the peanut gallery. What id you can't find a better job genius? What if they already have a family and lose their job through no fault of there own? The comments that you make are the ultimate in, "I don't care about anyone, their problems and their struggles. I've got mine and let them eat cake for all I care." Thank the Lord people who think like you are not the ones that are in charge of our governments. Your attitude towars your fellow man is just disgusting.
Start a business and pay unemployed, unskilled labor what you think they're worth.

There are enough wealthy lefties out there that I'm almost certain that you'll have no problem getting funding....until they see your business plan. But that shouldn't matter since good intentions trump common sense.

Do it....I double dog dare you!

Old 01-08-2013, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Bingo. Don't live a life you can't afford. Don't have kids you can't afford. If you are a single mother you should be getting support from the father and if the father isn't working either you have made some rediculously bad choices in life. There are VERY few people who find themselves in these predicaments who didn't walk into them with their eyes open. Those few are the ones who need assistance and we would all gladly give it. The rest are the ones...well...I have no idea how to cure that.

There are millions of Americans who have not been irresponsible and still can't manage to feed their families.

Hungry in America: Family Sometimes Must Choose Between Paying Bills, Food - ABC News

http://www.aarp.org/aarp-foundation/...to-end-hunger/

Hunger and Children in America: A Slow and Steady Starvation - ABC News

Food Insecurity Affects About 50 Million Americans - ABC News

Old 01-08-2013, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Families, families, families....that means haivng a bunch of kids and without any support network. And no, barely scraping by before popping them out isn't smart. God, I wouldn't even get a CAT until I owned a home and was comfortable with the mortgage payment!! As I said before they walk in with their eyes open. Those that don't, the ones who get sick, disabled, etc. are the ones the whole welfare system was set up to support and there would be plenty of $ available to do that if we left it there and understoond that temporary help is always and only going to be temporary.

I'm not heartless, I've struggled several times in my life but let me quote myself:
Quote:
You know what my parents family did during the depression? Shared a house with another family, pooled their resources.
That's how to do it. That's really the best and only way to do it actually. I'm also aware that we need to create jobs. Not "make up" jobs, not "artificially inflate" the paychecks of low skilled workers, but have real jobs for people who have the talent to do them.

Old 01-08-2013, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Families, families, families....that means haivng a bunch of kids and without any support network. And no, barely scraping by before popping them out isn't smart. God, I wouldn't even get a CAT until I owned a home and was comfortable with the mortgage payment!! As I said before they walk in with their eyes open. Those that don't, the ones who get sick, disabled, etc. are the ones the whole welfare system was set up to support and there would be plenty of $ available to do that if we left it there.

I'm not heartless, I've struggled several times in my life but let me quote myself:

That's how to do it. That's really the best and only way to do it actually.
Many women over age 60 did everything "right" and are still in a position where they struggle to find enough money to feed themselves. Did you read the AARP link? The face of poverty in America is women and children, especially older women.

"Women in America are more likely to be poor than men. Over half of the 37 million Americans living in poverty today are women. And women in America are further behind than women in other countries—the gap in poverty rates between men and women is wider in America than anywhere else in the Western world. " -- Are women in America just more irresponsible than anywhere else in the world, or maybe more stupid? I don't think so. There are societal factors at play.

http://www.americanprogress.org/wp-c...en_poverty.pdf

Old 01-08-2013, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Many women over age 60 did everything "right" and are still in a position where they struggle to find enough money to feed themselves. Did you read the AARP link? The face of poverty in America is women and children, especially older women.
Yes, and I also said there were people who did "through no fault of their own" need help. The elderly who can't work for whatever reason would fall into that catagory, if they had no children (grown up by then) or other relitives to help them out. The way it should be. Children are being born to people who shouldn't be having them and that's why THEY are in poverty. I don't know how to fix that because people are walking in with their eyes open then asking for help. We have the resources to help tragic and unfortunate, we don't have the resources to help stupid.

Old 01-08-2013, 07:23 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,582,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Start a business and pay unemployed, unskilled labor what you think they're worth.

There are enough wealthy lefties out there that I'm almost certain that you'll have no problem getting funding....until they see your business plan. But that shouldn't matter since good intentions trump common sense.

Do it....I double dog dare you!
I had a very successful contracting business and I paid my employees at least double what all my competitors were paying their employees. It's a funny thing but I was the most successful contractor in my field in the entire region. I had this attitude that if my guys could not afford a home and a decent car, save a few bucks for a rainy day and generally get ahead working for me then I didn't want to be in that business. Ny workforce was stable and no one elses was. My guys performed better than anyone elses because they knew I respected them and their needs. They would always go the extra mile for me, like getting called out on an emergency job on Christmas eve. I had no problem getting funding from the bank. They looked at the balance sheet and gave me what I needed. Now in contrast to that my competition who paid lousy wages. They had terrible equipment, drove old broken down trucks, had unsatisfied customers chasing them all the time, were sued on a regular basis and usually went broke every couple of years. If they ever got a really good employee he was soon working for me once he found out I paid double what he was getting working for Fly by night Joe.

So, about your dare! Been there done that. I have been retired for ten years and I'm enjoying myself too much to start a new business. My wife is opening a new venture though. I hope it does well enough so er can go to Cuba more often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies