Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2013, 04:46 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,655,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
you're right they do have equal rights they can marry a human of the opposite sex, not a problem.
Then if you are heterosexual and unmarried, go see if it's no problem to find a homosexual who wants to marry you.

Old 01-06-2013, 04:50 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,986,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosie_hair View Post
If you're talking about polygamy, I'm all for it. It's got nothing to do with me, and I'm sure it will make the mormons pretty pleased.
I don't think most Mormons would be at all pleased by the legalization of polygamy. They're pretty much as opposed to it as everybody else.

Old 01-06-2013, 04:51 PM

18,420 posts, read 19,036,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Then if you are straight and unmarried go see if you can find a homosexual who wants to marry you.

this quote was in reply to a question asked of me to reconsider if "aglams" people who love statues have equal rights. the answer is tongue in cheek and answered like most homophobic do. I am in 100% support gay marriage

Old 01-06-2013, 04:58 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,260,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
For all those who dont support gay marriage than you support the opposite which is?? that gays should reject the idea of having a life partner to share and support one another in good times and bad.. that we should just be relegated to a single lonely life or one of promiscuity and filling in the void through negative behaviours of which you will inevitably judge! Talk about setting people up for failure... I see a common thread amongst those that deny equal rights and that is a lack of humanity and empathy for fellow man. Hitler exuded similar traits...
^^This^^

I don't think anyone is saying that heterosexuals don't have the right to their own feelings and opinions and that they shouldn't feel, let's say, squeamish about certain sexual behaviors.

That's fine. No one can really help how they feel.

But where I draw the line is their attitude that just because they don't like it, or they don't understand it, that that gives them the right to deny equal rights to same sex couples.

To use that stupid analogy that gays do have the same rights to marry as everyone else - they just have to marry someone of the opposite sex - is a perfect example of their lack of compassion.

Lack of compassion and empathy seem to go hand in hand with conservatism. To want to deny people the right to love and to marry the person of their choice for no reason other than that they "disapprove" proves it.

Oh, well.......I fully expect it to all be moot soon. The homophobes and bigots can scream and stamp their feet and throw their stupid little temper tantrums until they're blue in the face, the fact is is that marriage equality is legal in nine states (voted on and approved by the VOTERS in at least some - all? - of those states) and they are not going to be able to take that away from those states.......nor will they be able to stop it from becoming legal in the remaining states.

Old 01-06-2013, 05:01 PM

25,776 posts, read 18,840,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
I don't think a specific word exists that describes such a person.

You've basically described me but in reverse. I do not fear heterosexuality, but I do experience distaste for heterosexual sex acts, yet I do not support laws that discriminate against heterosexuals.

If I had to categorize such a person, I'd probably go with run of the mill non-bisexual.

You seem to be changing gears here, but I'll try and address the comments. Somebody who supports equal rights for gay people but doesn't want to be "a cheerleader...about the sexuality of others" I would describe as apathetic.

I don't really understand your characterizations here. What does it mean to parade you sexuality around and to make others hear about your sexuality? I contend that as a group heterosexuals are much more public and open and vocal and show off their sexuality than homosexuals. A very sizable portion of homosexuals do everything possible to hid their sexuality at every waking moment.
Okay, responding to this post...

Actually, I think some things I said in other posts since this one catch most of what you've said here, but I'd comment on the bold part in defense of my "apathy":

Do you eat spelt? I do. I love it. Use it to make bread. I cook it similarly to Cream of Wheat. Etc. Now, I'm pretty gung-ho about my spelt. Good stuff. But I'll just bet that you are not so gung-ho about it. In fact, there is a good chance that you don't even know what it is. Well, now you do, if you didn't before: it's a grain.

Chances are that you don't consume it and have no feeling one way or the other whether I consume it or not (that's the way I feel about homosexuality). You are then quite apathetic on the matter. But let's say you've never tried it and have no desire to try it. And let's say that I, because I'm so fired up about it, decided that I'm going to go on a crusade for spelt. I hold parades, I advertise, and I make sure that everyone in the country knows the joys of spelt whether they agree or not. I then declare that everyone should accept (like) spelt. I make sure that not a day goes by that you and everyone else hears about my spelt.

Now tell me, you not being a fan of spelt, if you heard about spelt everywhere, every day of your life, the news, the blogs, the forums, etc, what would your opinion of spelt soon become? It's called burn-out. And it happened a long, long time ago. And you know what happens after that? What happens is, even if you held no bad feelings toward spelt before, you may find yourself developing a bit of resentment toward spelt simply because you are sick of hearing about spelt. At that point, it's not the spelt, per se, it's the "parading" that I was referring to. And we're not talking about parading as being a guy sitting on a park bench eating a bowl of spelt for breakfast. We're talking about the same sort of overblow that has turned our favorite Kim Kardashian into a person that nobody wants to hear about any more because they are sick of hearing about her. It's nothing personal against her. It's just that she has been overdone. Just as the BeeGees were overdone in the 70's. They were very good at what they did. But, at some point... everyone was sick of the hype. It wasn't Barry, Maurice, and Robin that everyone hated personally... it was the overblow... the parading.

Old 01-06-2013, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I think the comparing members of the LGBT community to "agalmatophiliacs" is just a variation of the tired old "slippery slope" arguments used by homophobes and anti-gay bigots. It's like "if we let them Homoseckshuals marry, why, we hafta let people marry their pet dogs or fathers marry their underage daughters." Sheesh
Underage daughters are not of consenting age to make legal choices. At least not under our current laws. Once they are of age, it should be their choice to make between the two of them. And as far as someone marrying their dog, why not? Who is it hurting? The dog?

I am not anti-gay. I'm simply pointing out the hypocrisy that exists in elements of the movement. It's really just human nature that I'm attacking: the attitude of "freedom for all as long as what you're doing is on my list of acceptability." I don't care who marries whom. None of my business. I just thing the "LGBT community" is as bigoted as any other "community." And I don't even care about that--it's their right to feel any way they want. But those living in glass houses shouldn't be throwing stones. Just like you did with marrying the pet dog thing. Who are you to condemn that?

Last edited by ChrisC; 01-06-2013 at 05:32 PM..

Old 01-06-2013, 05:12 PM

Quote:
the rights of the majority is called democracy
And we are a republic, not a democracy. That is, the rights to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness of the minority shall not be infringed upon by the majority.

Old 01-06-2013, 05:16 PM

Quote:
so sincere, you should change your orientation on your profile
Does it say what kind of woman I'm attracted to? Your statement is an, unintentional I assume, belittlement of the Agalmatophiliac community. You are implying that my wife, Rui, is somehow an inferior wife as compared to a "realie"? She's very loving, I assure you, and no less a soulmate than your partner.

Old 01-06-2013, 05:17 PM

18,420 posts, read 19,036,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Does it say what kind of woman I'm attracted to? Your statement is an, unintentional I assume, belittlement of the Agalmatophiliac community. You are implying that my wife, Rui, is somehow an inferior wife as compared to a "realie"? She's very loving, I assure you, and no less a soulmate than your partner.

to each his own

Old 01-06-2013, 05:28 PM

Quote:
to each his own
Sheesh, and it took all those posts for me to convert you to a stance for liberty. Your philosophy is no different from mine, other than yours is restricted to your personal moral code. That's simply another degree of the bigotry you decry on another level.

Anyway, welcome to the ranks of the list of Agalmatophiliac Rights Community friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies