Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2013, 11:55 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,950,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Some_Random_Guy View Post
These home invasions will fall sharply once the criminals realize they may be starring down the barrel of a gun each time they invade a home.
You mean they don't already know that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2013, 11:57 AM

14,888 posts, read 10,057,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Many people here claim they don't already know this.

Old 01-07-2013, 11:57 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,950,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
When you find or develop a taser or like device that is as accurate and dependable as a firearm for self defense get back with me with your moral high ground. In the meantime, I and my family will depend on firearms for our protection....
Your post was completely necessary and just made my point actually.

Old 01-07-2013, 12:08 PM

20,495 posts, read 12,416,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Did the man threaten her and with what weapon? I read nothing about him not backing off when he saw the gun. Why would she shoot him 5 times though?
Did the man threaten her? Its called walking into a house uninvited... everything that happened after that is entirely in the hands of the homeowner.

Why shoot him 5 times? because the gun only holds 6 bullets and she missed once? reloading would just be a waste of good lead. Kudos to the homeowner!

have the criminal picked up and taken to the nearest creamotory and the ashes tossed in the trash.

move on.

Old 01-07-2013, 12:14 PM

20,495 posts, read 12,416,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Some_Random_Guy View Post
Why does he need a weapon drawn at all? He's an intruder, and historically, many homes invasions are violent in nature.

Weapon or no weapon [visible] to me, I am shooting. Not taking any chances, I have two small children and I am neutralizing the threat to my home as soon as humanly possible.

If you choose to negotiate with, or sit their in hopes some magic fairy comes along and sprinkles the intruder with "please leave my home and Jesus loves you" dust, then that is your choice.

Let me simply add to this, that I don’t intend to leave a person capable of taking vengeance on me at some later point because I wounded them when they invaded my home...

I pray I never have to make the decision. I pray I never face an invader in my home. But if I do, I certainly pray I have the fortitude to end the invasion with all the force necessary to insure those I am responsible for are protected permanently.

Old 01-07-2013, 12:15 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,883,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
No, I think by and large homeowners do not have an available/loaded firearm capable of reacting to a home invasion, and I think think your average dirtbag intruder knows that, too.

Old 01-07-2013, 12:15 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,805,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Did the man threaten her and with what weapon? I read nothing about him not backing off when he saw the gun. Why would she shoot him 5 times though?
He broke in and ransacked the home. If it were you, would you have calmly asked him to leave?

Excuse me... Mr. Bad Guy, could you stop and leave please?

If a someone breaks into your home, tears it apart, and searches until he locates you and your children (the occupants), it qualifies as a use of deadly force incident. There isn't time to ponder if the guy is armed, or what his intent might be. Protect first, sort it out later. If she hadn't been armed, we'd probably be reading about a woman and two children murdered by this guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
Let me simply add to this, that I don’t intend to leave a person capable of taking vengeance on me at some later point because I wounded them when they invaded my home...

I pray I never have to make the decision. I pray I never face an invader in my home. But if I do, I certainly pray I have the fortitude to end the invasion with all the force necessary to insure those I am responsible for are protected permanently.
HERE! HERE!

Exactly right! I pray I never have to use deadly force, but if/when the time comes to make such a decision, the intruder won't be walking back out of my home.

Old 01-07-2013, 12:16 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,947,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
Did the man threaten her? Its called walking into a house uninvited... everything that happened after that is entirely in the hands of the homeowner.

Why shoot him 5 times? because the gun only holds 6 bullets and she missed once? reloading would just be a waste of good lead. Kudos to the homeowner!

have the criminal picked up and taken to the nearest creamotory and the ashes tossed in the trash.

move on.
This story is why I encourage women to purchase a .357 instead of a .38. They can practice with .38 rounds but for defense, use the .357 round.. (They should at least fire some .357 rounds at the range to be aware of the difference though) The 357 round is more lethal and in most instances will do the job with fewer rounds being fired....

Old 01-07-2013, 12:26 PM

19,718 posts, read 12,289,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymouseX View Post
I already posted a video of a man defending against his house with an AR15 against 4 armed robbers.

That DOES help the debate...
Right, it isn't always one guy breaking in, what if there are three +? And you just have the one handgun that doesn't even kill one? You need something to take down multiple perps quickly or you're dead.

It's awful to consider the thrill killings that have happened to random innocents, home invasions by multiple sick young men with knives who just want to know how it feels to kill someone. You need to be able to defend yourself against more than one attacker at a time.

Old 01-07-2013, 02:12 PM

3,046 posts, read 2,388,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
Baffoon, really? Well, your post indicates you know nothing of home security. Shatter resistant glass is not impossible to get through, in fact it makes less noise to get through than ordinary glass, heck, even bullet resistant glass is not made to withstand repeated blows, the only thing I know that will resist repeated blow, but eventually will give way is, 2 inch thick lexan, but would be too expensive at $125 a sq ft, last time I looked. I would not however be against bars on the windows. Nothing is impenetrable and most people want the freedom to come and go without enabling and disabling an alarm system. I would also say most people could not afford to completely secure their home, let alone pay a monthly fee for an alarm system which can be disabled by a pro, nothing like a false sense of security. Having a gun on your hip or at quick access is the best way to defeat these monsters.
I never meant to imply the glass was impenetrable, just highly unlikely to be smashed through with a small hammer or small tool that most burglars use to get into through windows or even doors. The fact remains that no burglar is going to spend 5 minutes trying to smash and then get through your window while an alarm has gone off, and especially NOT while you're at home, same goes for the door. If you want to carry a gun in a holster while you're walking around your home and sleep with one under your pillow be my guest. Most break ins happen while you're at work anyway. No one is going through all this imaginary trouble and risk, you've conjured up, when doors can be opened with one foot kick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies