Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2013, 02:24 AM

41,109 posts, read 25,812,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I actually agree with you on this point (maybe because I'm not a Dem?), but we all know that wasn't this guy's issue. He didn't withhold a tip because he's "downsizing," nor did he withhold because the service was poor - he did it to make a political point, while the only person he affected was the server. Our point is that if you want to make a political statement, why not go for the TOP of the food chain? Like corporate or the government? Stiffing a minimum wage worker isn't the solution, although I have to give them credit for getting in the paper over it.
Ok he assumed she was a democrat and he was making a political point do people really think that they can attack other fellow americans and not get any fallout. I will bet if government reduced welfare payments and those recipients assumed I voted for it there would be hell to pay.

Democrats made a lot of assumptions so they are no better. Assumptions about people that were far from the truth. One example is going after people who make $200k / $250K and I've seen plenty of times dems assume these people sit back and collect dividends for a living. They don't. These are the doctors, the small business owners, the highly educated people who worked their asses off to get where they are yet the democrats cheered as Obama said make them pay "their fair share". Democrats assume that these people pay only a small amount of taxes when they pay out their asses. People in that bracket can't pay for high paid attorneys to lower their taxes so they pay through the nose yet democrats ASSUMED because Obama said so. So the guy made a political statement so what. there is a whole lot of assumption going on and both sides can be wrong. The problem is dems think they know it all and what Obama says is the gospel truth. Yep so the guy made a statement, but so did the obama followers. It goes both ways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2013, 02:29 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,797,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
And you seem to think you have the right to "dictate" how much people tip. Who are you to think that you have that right?

If I want to tip 10%, 15%, 20%, even if "I think" the service was bad and don't want to tip a penny it is my money and my decision and if you don't like it... oh well. Now as far as the guy that the OP posted about. It is his money he has the right to do what he wants with it regardless if you or I like it or not. That is the problem with you libs and dems, you want to control and dictate what others can and can't do.

It is well known that many women, low income, young people voted for Obama and yes the guy made an assumption that the waitress was an Obama voter. If she wasn't she suffered the consequences of others making this guy angry for voting for Obama and if she did he .. well kind of paid her back (or didn't pay her) for her vote.

People will have to reduce spending to pay for the higher taxes... there will be some losers because of it like it or not.
So you have "opinions", while everyone who doesn't agree with you "dictates"???

He made an assumption no different than you have been making multiple assumptions about me!!! Seems you two have something in common.

Fine, reduce spending, but not at the expense of someone else. Don't go out for the convenience of your own enjoyment, expect people to serve you and then tell them not getting a tip is their problem because they made a poor choice when they voted, or that your budget only allowed for the price of the meal and not a tip and $8 would be devastating to your financial plans. The diner is the winner because he was served, had a nice evening out, but the waitress is the loser. Yeah, I can see how that balances out - NOT.

I don't care how you spend your money or not, nor how anyone else spends their money, or not. But if you have to use some lame excuse - you voted for Obama - to screw someone, or assume that someone is making more than enough, hence no tip required....well, one is just an idiot.

Old 01-11-2013, 02:32 AM

wow softblue, you are so defensive. why do you take everything so personal? Get over yourself.

Old 01-11-2013, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Assumptions about people that were far from the truth.
You certainly would know about that. You are full of assumptions about people.

Old 01-11-2013, 02:35 AM

Quote:
wow softblue, you are so defensive. why do you take everything so personal? Get over yourself.
When someone makes completely wrong assumptions and claims about ME, yeah, I get defensive, especially when it's an idiot doing it. An idiot who thinks that the only "opinions" that count is their own and those who agree with them, and those that don't agree with them are "dictating".

Old 01-11-2013, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
So you have "opinions", while everyone who doesn't agree with you "dictates"???

He made an assumption no different than you have been making multiple assumptions about me!!! Seems you two have something in common.

Fine, reduce spending, but not at the expense of someone else. Don't go out for the convenience of your own enjoyment, expect people to serve you and then tell them not getting a tip is their problem because they made a poor choice when they voted, or that your budget only allowed for the price of the meal and not a tip and $8 would be devastating to your financial plans. The diner is the winner because he was served, had a nice evening out, but the waitress is the loser. Yeah, I can see how that balances out - NOT.

I don't care how you spend your money or not, nor how anyone else spends their money, or not. But if you have to use some lame excuse - you voted for Obama - to screw someone, or assume that someone is making more than enough, hence no tip required....well, one is just an idiot.
Hey as I said I am the first to admit the I was so pisse* at the stupidity of people cheering for higher taxes that the thought crossed my mind but when it came down to it I just couldn't do it so don't bother me about it. ANd he already said he wants more and he will come down the income ladder. Believe me, I did cut back not for payback but to cut back on expenses and to stay ahead of his tax and spend mentality unfortunately the result is someone did lose work and pay.

And again, if I want to tip $5 instead of $8 that is my choice not yours. Hell if I want to tip $10 instead of $8 it is MY CHOICE.. NOT YOURS TO DICTATE ----> that is my point. Dems... they love big government and love to dictate pc.

Last edited by petch751; 01-11-2013 at 02:54 AM..

Old 01-11-2013, 02:46 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,335,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Not everyone pays payroll taxes nor will they necessarily in their lifetime... But let's be realistic. Someone in their 20s and 30s probably pays more in payroll taxes than they do in capital gains. But as you get into your later years you are more likely to pay more capital gains. Not everyone, but generally, yes. Especially if you live in CA or the Northeast.

Taxes went up in CA... which is the state in question.
And what do state taxes have to do with Obama?
Besides absolutely nothing, I mean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Their take-home wage is $7.25/hr (unless higher by state). Most wait staff make more than that hourly, however. We have people in my hotel restaurants that make over $100k waiting tables. That's more than I pay the day manager.
I guess you missed the numerous links where restaurants are exempt from the minimum wage rules.
They do not have to pay minimum wage; and they usually don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
So, what you're advocating is that the employer take on greater costs? You do realize that absent these tips, employers will be forced to raise wages for these workers, correct? Hardly anyone will work for 3 or 4 dollars per hour. Since I've been told so many times before by right-wingers that business owners simply transfer these types of costs to consumers, what would be your first guess as to where you will ultimately end up paying that tip, regardless if you realize it or not?
Yes, I'm advocating that employers take on greater costs.
Why not?
I'm expected to pay for my meal and another 15-20% for the cost of that meal.
It's false advertising.
Throughout the rest of the world, it seems that restaurant owners pay a liveable wage and tipping is not "required."
I don't see what the issue is in the US, except for owners to make more money on the backs of their employees.

Last edited by chielgirl; 01-11-2013 at 03:34 AM..

Old 01-11-2013, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
I don't see what the issue is in the US, except for owners to make more money on the backs of their employees.
On the back of employees? Aren't you making money on the backs of employers?... Why don't you start your own business. Why work for someone else if having your own business is so easy?

You think you know it all... SO why don't you open your own restaurant or business and pay your employees the wages you think they should be paid ... what is stopping you?

Last edited by petch751; 01-11-2013 at 03:05 AM..

Old 01-11-2013, 03:05 AM

38,650 posts, read 26,453,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Yet he had the discretionary income to eat out.
What happened to the "personal responsibility" meme?

I don't think that the patron should be required to pay for salary, it's not done that way anywhere else that I know of.
I mean, servers make what, about $2.50 and hour plus tips.

Another way the US is behind the world.

Oh look, Ms. Ihateamerica wants to argue two sides of the same post to bust on the US!

What a shocker.

Back in the 1990s, I typically took home over $200/day from waiting tables.

That's more than $291.50 in today's money.

Show me where ordinary low-skilled workers can take home $300/day besides the US.

Old 01-11-2013, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Oh look, Ms. Ihateamerica wants to argue two sides of the same post to bust on the US! What a shocker.

Back in the 1990s, I typically took home over $200/day from waiting tables.

That's more than $291.50 in today's money.

Show me where ordinary low-skilled workers can take home $300/day besides the US.
lol, yep and then they complain about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies