Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 05:07 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,918,398 times

Advertisements

one other thing,

we aren't going to be a country that is capable of fixing the problem if we don't acknowledge it.

here is another mind-numbing statistic for you:

In 2010, 28 percent of participants reported having an outstanding loan against their retirement accounts, an all-time high, according to a survey of 110 large employers by Aon Hewitt, a human resources consultancy. And nearly 7 percent of employees took hardship withdrawals that year — roughly a 40 percent increase since the recession, while 42 percent of workers cashed out their plans rather than rolling them over when they changed jobs.

Read more at Mish's Global Economic Trend Analysis

people are borrowing against their retirement accounts just to live-and this is not a country in recovery, or a country with any leaders with a plan to fix anything.

i can tell you that my neighbor got 2 mortgages against his house, one in 2010 and one in 2012, each for over 205k. he is now putting his house on the market-THIS IS A COUNTRY FULL OF FRAUD AND RUNNING ON FRAUD.

the fraud bubble never popped.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2013, 05:08 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,918,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Would you make bankers take drug tests who received bailout money? Hat about CEOs who get corp welfare? We have a complete double-standard.
what you should do is make bankers who took bailout money (and didn't pay it back-some did) REPAY IT. matt taibbi had a good piece on the FRAUD of the bailout. i would make the government leaders who gave the bailout money take a drug test!

and it is up to the government to stop the corporate welfare-but i wouldn't hold my breath on this administration doing it-still waiting for the corzine prosecution.

Old 01-16-2013, 05:12 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,475,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
the problem is this left-right paradigm.

i am conservative and not for most of the things the OP posted that "the right wants".

the problem in this country WITH BOTH PARTIES is that they focus on the wrong things and spend all their free time attacking each other. (because they were brought up with a particular mindset and are locked into it).

the left needs to stop running scared that cutting government spending means "that old ladies will be pushed off the cliff" and the right needs to focus on the highest levels of fraud-which are in the government and government-connected entities, instead of the lower level welfare fraud. the right pushes the mindset that the liberals have, as well as the left, even if they do it inadvertently.

when the government literally loses billions of dollars on pallets in foreign countries, that is what we should be focused on. do people have any idea how much fraud there is out there?

you have to start fixing it at the top, not at the bottom.

instead,we will keep fighting and the fed will keep controlling and degrading our money, pushing bubbles, and sinking the middle class standard of living. americans will keep telling each other who needs to do without, who needs to pay more, who needs to get less-instead of stopping the federal reserve from controlling and degrading our currency, and forcing inflation on people whose AVERAGE PER CAPITA INCOME IS 26K.

europe is a disaster and now america is expected to become a disaster as well.

maybe the first thing that BOTH sides can agree on is that a government out of control is a dangerous government-and history has proven that again and again.
I`m sure most of the 27 member states of the EU would disagree with your calling their countries a disaster.

Old 01-16-2013, 05:13 AM

28,899 posts, read 30,279,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatis View Post
I was thinking about the controversy on drug testing government assistance recipients. After realizing just how big of an undertaking this would really be I came to what I think is the bigger question behind this.

I don't understand how the right, the poster children of "we need less government interference in our lives" could advocate what would possibly be one of the biggest happenings of big brother "interference" in American history.

The right wing is generally all for things like the Patriot Act, Homeland Security, owning 25% of the planet's incarcerated population, constitutional amendments that define marriage etc. How on earth can the right wing claim to be so viciously against government interference in our lives, yet continuously support more and more government authority over everyone?
I don't support more government authority over everyone??? Where did you get that idea? Right wings generally are extremely conservative, and while I'm registered independent, I will tell you truthfully, I am against any government authority over Americans. The more control they have, the more corrupt this nation becomes. The American Government for years, and years, have been pompus arses, caring nothing about the American people....only they're personal agendas. The easiest way to control people is when people are jobless, starving for work, loosing everything, which is happening...and the more control the government has, the more our country will decline. I don't believe a whole lot of people actually realize, how bad our country is....how insanely corrupt it is. And as Florida Sandy said, which is so true, yet this country insists on ignoring, is that both parties are corrupt....and until the American Public comes to terms with this, and demands a full cleaning of Washington, nothing will change.

For instance...back when gas went sky high, all delivery companies raised they're prices, saying it was a surcharge b/c gas is so high...well, do those prices go down, when gas goes down? No, and that is raping the American public. There is a wholesome concern for others lost...it is not like years ago, where companies were honest, forthright and did what was best for the whole body, instead of for them...they also were able to consider long term effects. Not today, most people are not even raising they're kids with an awareness of honesty, respect for the property and personal space of others.

I've been on childrens forums where mothers actually argue, that it is perfectly ok, to go into a doctors office with their kids and allow them to run around, yelling and screaming????????? No concern for sicker old folks...I mean, I cannot tell you how many people are even loosing the awareness of which door is the in door and which is the out door.

This country IS the most corrupt nation in the world....take a look at this last election...I forget how many districts near Philly, well, there was not ONE vote for Romney out of those districts????????

I wasn't for Romney or Obama, both of them are corrupt....and look what they did to Herman Cain????? And I wouldn't be surprised if it was his own party who slandered him to get Romney in. And ask yourself, why did they slander him? Because he was extremely vocal about what he wanted to do, and the Powers that Be, feared him getting in.

So, it is not one side, it's both and as I've stated for years, we need more strength in other parties, to actually clean this mess up....

Last edited by cremebrulee; 01-16-2013 at 05:23 AM..

Old 01-16-2013, 05:23 AM

Quote:
one other thing,

we aren't going to be a country that is capable of fixing the problem if we don't acknowledge it.

Here is another mind-numbing statistic for you:

In 2010, 28 percent of participants reported having an outstanding loan against their retirement accounts, an all-time high, according to a survey of 110 large employers by aon hewitt, a human resources consultancy. And nearly 7 percent of employees took hardship withdrawals that year — roughly a 40 percent increase since the recession, while 42 percent of workers cashed out their plans rather than rolling them over when they changed jobs.

Read more at mish's global economic trend analysis

people are borrowing against their retirement accounts just to live-and this is not a country in recovery, or a country with any leaders with a plan to fix anything.

I can tell you that my neighbor got 2 mortgages against his house, one in 2010 and one in 2012, each for over 205k. He is now putting his house on the market-this is a country full of fraud and running on fraud.

The fraud bubble never popped.
you rock!!!! I so wish american's would wake the heck up...

Old 01-16-2013, 05:27 AM

Quote:
what you should do is make bankers who took bailout money (and didn't pay it back-some did) REPAY IT. matt taibbi had a good piece on the FRAUD of the bailout. i would make the government leaders who gave the bailout money take a drug test!

and it is up to the government to stop the corporate welfare-but i wouldn't hold my breath on this administration doing it-still waiting for the corzine prosecution.
Remeber Vince Foster?

And what was that guys name who was found wandering around a hotel, they had video of him, without his shoes on, and was later found in a dumpster. He worked Intelligence for the government? I mean I cannot believe people don't question all this stuff...and as much as people love to watch this stuff on TV and believe it is fantasy? We all live in a protective plastic bubble we've created for ourselves, unaware of What IS REALLY GOING ON OUT THERE.

Old 01-16-2013, 05:31 AM

520 posts, read 597,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Would you make bankers take drug tests who received bailout money? Hat about CEOs who get corp welfare? We have a complete double-standard.
I'm with you on that!

Old 01-16-2013, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Fingers View Post
I'm with you on that!
Me to, count me in....
They took over 30.00 out of my pay because of the hikes, plus the other taxes they are imposing...if those fat old men who run this country, had to live on what we live on, maybe it would be a different story...I mean seriously....farming all our work overseas....
They call Ford an American made car, when in fact all the parts are made overseas???????

I mean it, all those senetors and congressmen, the President, etc...why don't they cut back, why don't they take a pay cut....how much does a president get a year upon retiring? American company CEO's rape people so they can maintain their life styles, but that is ok? I mean, what this country is doing presently is criminal....criminal to say the least.....the corruption is running rampid, and no one seems to care...and it's both sides, not just the GOP, and to believe otherwise is shallow and extremely unaware.

Old 01-16-2013, 05:50 AM

10,553 posts, read 9,653,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
Reasonable scrutiny. Urinalysis before every payment was never suggested as far as I'm aware. That would serve no legitimate purpose.

Any particular isolated and self sustaining program like UE that you pay into is not an unearned benefit.

Any type of corporate subsidization or welfare payment is an unearned benefit.
Actually if you have been paying payroll, state and federal taxes for years and then fall on hard times and need to go on welfare, you have paid into the system for years.

Old 01-16-2013, 05:56 AM

7,168 posts, read 5,367,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
Right is against government interference with big business, but supports nanny state big gubiment telling individuals how to run their lives.
I disagree, the {R} right is all for gvt interference in big business to protect them. Favorable regulations to protect them from competitors, subsidies, and bail outs. I see no evidence what so ever that the {R} right supports the idea of a free market or freedom or state rights. Except for their obnoxious rhetoric that their duped followers eat up like a good Philly steak sandwich. The left is just as bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies