Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Gun owners, would your register your firearms with the government?
I would never register my firearms regardless of a new law 91 71.09%
Of coarse I would register my firearms under a new law 26 20.31%
I'm not sure what I would do... 11 8.59%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 07:33 AM

31,292 posts, read 20,756,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by e_coli View Post
I've been a gun owner, and I have no problem with registration. Yet again, I think one of the major problems with guns is the tangled web of obscure federal and state laws. Guns are interstate commerce, and they should be federally regulated. I think it's long overdue. At the same time, I would acknowledge the reality that people are going to have all kinds of reactions to it, and I can't entirely blame them. I think former Australian PM John Howard (an Aussie conservative and one of Bush's ole allies) wrote a good piece in today's NYT about how to approach it. One step could be financial incentives. Maybe rather than threatening brute force, a better approach would be voluntary registration for all arms already produced, sold, and owned, with the offer of a tax incentive to comply. While people who own guns are currently deciding what to do with them, the real force of any registration law could be applied to all new guns sold, and that would especially mean eliminating gun show loopholes.
So, what would registration accomplish?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2013, 07:35 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,062,846 times
Registration leads to confiscation.

Maybe not today, or tomorrow, but someday.

Old 01-19-2013, 07:42 AM

71 posts, read 60,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Registration leads to confiscation.

Maybe not today, or tomorrow, but someday.
This is why we won't be registering our firearms. If you register and they pass a law that prohibits private sale or transfers, when you die, you can't pass them to family. Law enforcement can demand the guns, and law abiding Americans will be disarmed over time.

Old 01-19-2013, 07:48 AM

16,759 posts, read 8,223,014 times
Registration would lead to owners taking care to secure their weapons. If a weapon was found in the hands of a bad guy the legal owner can be found. Hopefully the owner had reported the weapon missing and if not, why wasnt it reported missing.
I dont see any reason not to.

Many good reasons that are positive for registration.

Old 01-19-2013, 07:50 AM

16,759 posts, read 8,223,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlandochuck View Post
This is why we won't be registering our firearms. If you register and they pass a law that prohibits private sale or transfers, when you die, you can't pass them to family. Law enforcement can demand the guns, and law abiding Americans will be disarmed over time.
I dont think this will happen. Its a property issue in your estate, as long as you do the correct transfer paperwork.

Old 01-19-2013, 07:52 AM

8,425 posts, read 12,192,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
As a gun owner, I would personally never "register" my firearms with the federal government.. I am curious though, if it were law that you had to register your firearms with the government, would you??
Registration is required by local law. As a gun owner and hunter I follow the law.

Anyone who speculates about 'confiscation' or disarming of gun owners is paranoid, IMHO.

Old 01-19-2013, 07:53 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,663,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
Why should we have to register either? The only real reason we register a vehicle is in order for it to be taxed for it's value and use. Guns are made for defense, cars are made for convenience...

Hmmmmm, I wonder if I could classify my truck as a weapon to defend myself? MY right to bare arms, you know. It is my tank.

It is unconstitutional to tax me for owning a weapon to defend myself with. How many times has a vehicle, been used as a weapon?

Old 01-19-2013, 07:53 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,560,540 times
Not only would I refuse to register it (if it actually existed) I have decided to not obtain a concealed/carry permit because it would then alert this power grabbing government that I possibly had a weapon.

The less the government knows of ones personal life, and intrudes into it, the better off we all are.

IMO.

Old 01-19-2013, 07:57 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,560,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post
I may be wrong, but doesn't the Swiss government require to know where guns are in ones home or something along those lines? I know gun-enthusiast have said a lot about Switzerland lately.

Exactly how does such a statement apply to our laws? Last time I checked we did not live in Switzerland and their laws did not apply to us.

Old 01-19-2013, 07:58 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,457,092 times
sorry any CDF data harvest thread asking about serial number what weapons where are kept and my opinion are pretty easy to link back to my email. dont think im going to be very helpful to this thread.
btw internet posts are already used extensively for government hiring, just in case u think these post are anonymous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies