Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Gun owners, would your register your firearms with the government?
I would never register my firearms regardless of a new law 91 71.09%
Of coarse I would register my firearms under a new law 26 20.31%
I'm not sure what I would do... 11 8.59%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 11:49 AM

37,195 posts, read 19,232,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter 1 View Post
Bought all of mine at a swap meet in Arizona , Whats a 4473 form ???? just kidding! they will get the serial numbers to mine when they try to take them away from me .
Precisely. One of the major loopholes that need to be closed.

Again, when new laws are passed, there are a lot of people on this board who will become the outlaws they fear so much.

Also - Has it ever occurred to you that by posting here, you have already told the government that you have guns at your home? You'll be targeted to go down in the first press.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2013, 12:12 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,663,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
You guys already register your cars.

You register your houses.

You register your life savings in bank accounts.

Hell, you register yourselves through social security, driver's licenses, credit cards, and passports.

...and suddenly it's such an unprecedented threat to register a gun?

They can take my cars, my house, my money in the bank, my social security, my drivers license, my credit cards and my passport, too.........

They will never take my right to defend, or even to know if I can defend myself against tyranny and oppression.

Old 01-19-2013, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Precisely. One of the major loopholes that need to be closed.

Again, when new laws are passed, there are a lot of people on this board who will become the outlaws they fear so much.

Also - Has it ever occurred to you that by posting here, you have already told the government that you have guns at your home? You'll be targeted to go down in the first press.

Hahahaha!

The real loophole is how they infringe on a god and constitutional right, then make laws that allow them to infringe farther. When it clearly states, "shall not be infringed upon"

Old 01-19-2013, 12:50 PM

37,195 posts, read 19,232,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Hahahaha!

The real loophole is how they infringe on a god and constitutional right, then make laws that allow them to infringe farther. When it clearly states, "shall not be infringed upon"
Define "arms".

Then we'll talk.

Old 01-19-2013, 12:53 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,940,850 times
Quote:
Define "arms".

Then we'll talk.
Where are arms "defined" in the constitution?

Old 01-19-2013, 01:34 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,940,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_coli View Post
I've been a gun owner, and I have no problem with registration. Yet again, I think one of the major problems with guns is the tangled web of obscure federal and state laws. Guns are interstate commerce, and they should be federally regulated. I think it's long overdue. At the same time, I would acknowledge the reality that people are going to have all kinds of reactions to it, and I can't entirely blame them. I think former Australian PM John Howard (an Aussie conservative and one of Bush's ole allies) wrote a good piece in today's NYT about how to approach it. One step could be financial incentives. Maybe rather than threatening brute force, a better approach would be voluntary registration for all arms already produced, sold, and owned, with the offer of a tax incentive to comply. While people who own guns are currently deciding what to do with them, the real force of any registration law could be applied to all new guns sold, and that would especially mean eliminating gun show loopholes.
An "Australian conservative" may as well be John Kerry with a grating British twang.

Speaking of which, it's interesting that you, a former gun owner who implies supposed sympathy for current gun owners, should indicate John Howard as a respectable authority on U.S. gun policy approaches. It's quite repulsive, in my opinion, that the former leader of a foreign country (which culturally despises the United States, by the way) is given a platform to lecture American citizens and legislators, but hey, then again, what else would you expect from the New York Times? A foreign hillbilly like Howard jives quite well with NYT politics, especially when considering Howard's own record on guns.

Also, in case you aren't aware, civilian firearms are indeed federally regualated in numerous ways. A registration database serves no other purpose than to track and record the physical private property of private citizens who are ultimately quite unlikely to use their firearm in a crime and are probably just as unlikely to have it stolen from their possession.

And please, don't tell me that a gun is like a car and should be regulated as such--I genuinely can't take it anymore.

Old 01-19-2013, 01:49 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,207,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
As a gun owner, I would personally never "register" my firearms with the federal government.. I am curious though, if it were law that you had to register your firearms with the government, would you??

nope

the vikings will win the superbowl before I register my firearms.

Old 01-19-2013, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Define "arms".

Then we'll talk.

I will define it as more than just a gun.

I will define it as what ever it takes.
A poke in the eye?
A fist to the face?
A knife across the throat?
a 1911 at 10 yards?
a 30-06 at 300 yards?
A tank?
A howitzer?

Old 01-19-2013, 02:18 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,458,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creekcat View Post
Let me guess; I bet your against voter photo ID as well?

Back to the subject, only the ones purchased from dealers, in which they already know the serial numbers, would get reported.
No, I'm fine with photo ID for voters. I don't even know why it's still controversial.

Old 01-19-2013, 02:21 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,458,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
Um... There aren't large swaths of people who want to ban cars and houses, and larger swaths of people who want to ban certain types of cars and houses.

Not complicated.
But they COULD...not today, not tomorrow...but some day.

The government could come and take your home, your money, and your right to social services that you've paid into at any time.

So why aren't you already totally paranoid about that? This is what happens when you agree to live in a society.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies