Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Gun owners, would your register your firearms with the government?
I would never register my firearms regardless of a new law 91 71.09%
Of coarse I would register my firearms under a new law 26 20.31%
I'm not sure what I would do... 11 8.59%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 07:00 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,027,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
I don't understand this at all.

Responsible gun owners are always demanding that a distinction be made between themselves ("law-abiding citizens") and those who would use guns to commit crimes ("criminals"). Gun registration is one way of doing that. Someone who owns a gun for hunting, shooting, self-defense, or whatever, can make clear they own firearms for legitimate purposed by registering them. Why is that so unreasonable?
Not unreasonable, useless. So, you know who legally owns guns ok, how exactly does that stop any nefarious person who's illegally holding a gun to begin with from doing their dirty deed? It doesn't. It just tells you afterward that the dirtbag shouldn't have had it to begin with and "might" tell you where it was stolen from.
Background checks for purchasing? I get that. Enforcement of the law that makes it a crime for prohibited people to attempt to purchase? I get that as well.
As far as I can see the only reason to register a gun is so the government knows where they are so as to take some kind of action at a later date without having to search house to house to find them. Registering the guns from John Q. Public will NOT stop Big Daddy Thug-a-Licious from doing his/her day to day banging duties.
Am I missing something?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2013, 07:04 AM

5,663 posts, read 5,092,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
Gun nuts and their tough talk. Lol. If the government requires gun registration and you don't register your guns you are violating the law. This means you are not a law abiding citizen.

If the authorities find out, then you'll face the legal consequences. If you resist violently then lord help you.
Lemming.

Old 01-20-2013, 08:00 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,207,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
Gun nuts and their tough talk. Lol. If the government requires gun registration and you don't register your guns you are violating the law. This means you are not a law abiding citizen.

If the authorities find out, then you'll face the legal consequences. If you resist violently then lord help you.

if we millions resist, the USA shall not exist anymore. god help you quislings then.
the military wont help you, and we outnumber the civilian arm of the feds. bring in the UN and see the 5-10 million jump to 50-60 million.

also, we are not gun nuts, you are just gun haters and haters of the Constitution.

Old 01-20-2013, 09:10 AM

37,195 posts, read 19,232,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
how are you going to house the millions of prisoners? also dont forget that most firearms owners do have tax paying jobs. how will the feds take to losing all that tax revenue when the imprison millions of people?

I for one shall never register any of my firearms. I have 1 firearm with a 4473 attached to it, and I can turn that in very easily. how will you get me to register the rest of them?
We'll free the ones who are in for simple possession who shouldn't have been in jail in the first place. There will be plenty of room then for newcomwers.

Old 01-20-2013, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
We'll free the ones who are in for simple possession who shouldn't have been in jail in the first place. There will be plenty of room then for newcomwers.

what will you do with the other 30 million after you get done with the 1st 2 million?

oh nevermind, the feds will never do anything at all. they know they would lose in the long run.

Old 01-20-2013, 09:14 AM

37,195 posts, read 19,232,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
My neighbor has a tank..

Though he calls it a Ford Excursion.
Long as I don't have to feed it and it stays quiet after 11 it's cool...

Old 01-20-2013, 09:24 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,462,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
As a gun owner, I would personally never "register" my firearms with the federal government.. I am curious though, if it were law that you had to register your firearms with the government, would you??
Sure I'd register it. For one, if the dam thing ever gets stolen and somehow traced back to me (and it will), I don't want to seem like I was hiding anything, and for another, I don't ever expect to get in a gun battle with the Feds or ATF ('cuz I'd lose)! Of course others may envision different ''scenarios''.

Old 01-20-2013, 09:32 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,125,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_coli View Post
Guns are interstate commerce
What?! Can you explain that statement? It makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

Old 01-20-2013, 11:54 AM

3,391 posts, read 4,484,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
where in the 2nd Amendment does it say anything about registering your arms?

I am also in favor of NO laws being made against the 2nd Amendment. get rid of all 20,000+ state laws and 5000+ federal laws concerning firearms.
Where in the US Constitution does it say anything about regulating cars, airplanes, spaces heaters and electric blankets? Yet, we regulate all those thing, and for a very good reason: they are potentially dangerous. We should do the same with guns.

I don't buy the argument that any gun control laws whatsoever amount to an unconstitutional infringement of the right to bear arms. Infringement has a lot of gray area. If I say, yes, you can have a revolver, a shotgun and a bolt-action rifle, but not a submachine gun or AK-47, am I really infringing on your 2nd Amendment rights? Not really. I am not saying you cannot have guns. I am just saying you can't have certain types of guns. I don't think that really amounts to infringement.

Old 01-20-2013, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
Where in the US Constitution does it say anything about regulating cars, airplanes, spaces heaters and electric blankets? Yet, we regulate all those thing, and for a very good reason: they are potentially dangerous. We should do the same with guns.

I don't buy the argument that any gun control laws whatsoever amount to an unconstitutional infringement of the right to bear arms. Infringement has a lot of gray area. If I say, yes, you can have a revolver, a shotgun and a bolt-action rifle, but not a submachine gun or AK-47, am I really infringing on your 2nd Amendment rights? Not really. I am not saying you cannot have guns. I am just saying you can't have certain types of guns. I don't think that really amounts to infringement.

having and using those vehicles and items are not rights.
please learn what you are talking about before spewing the liberal mantra. I want my pistols, my shotguns, my bolt action rifles, my semi-automatic rifles and my maximum capacity magazines.

I dont own any sub machineguns anymore. i gave up my tax stamp a few years ago.

what you are talking about is in fact infringement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies