Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What guns would you ban
All guns, No one needs a gun at all 5 11.63%
Ban all semi auto guns hand gun and rifle keep your revolver and shotgun 4 9.30%
Only the guns that look like modern military guns 2 4.65%
No gun ban. Its not the guns its the culture. 32 74.42%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 08:12 AM

11,142 posts, read 10,714,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I think that endangers states rights, to regulate federal rights which is constitutional. Liquor may be legal, but each state and county regulates it to their needs. That, I support.

The constitution wasn't talking about fully automatic weapons. I'm not sure how repealling the ban on full auto will help, but please show the research. Legalizing marijuana, for instance, has proven both financially beneficial, doesn't increase crime or use, or hurt folks in a significant way. I'm not sure full auto weapons shows the same benefits.
On the plus side, legalizing the ownership of automatic weapons would quickly deplete the financial resources of those that purchased and fired them. They waste ammunition like my kids waste water.

Actually, I'm leaning more toward removing the restrictions (they aren't actually banned) on automatics. The older I get, the less benefit I see from government involvement in any aspect of life, and automatic firearms would still be massively expensive if the restrictions were lifted. You probably wouldn't see a flood of people going out to purchase one for their collection. It would more likely be the avid shooters that wanted to pick one up, and then more as a novelty occasional use item rather than for any nefarious purposes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2013, 08:14 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,399,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy.Rivers View Post
I'd choose banning all except one gun per household, either a handgun or rifle if one chooses to have one, and increase the safety measures on them (locks, etc). And make parents accountable to keeping it away from their kids.
I need a pistol for home and self defense, I do concealed carry. I need a shotgun for home defense, dove hunting, duck hunting, and goose hunting. Of course those should be different sizes because of the game I hunt, so at least two types of shotguns. Also, a rifle isn't always the best tool for deer hunting, depending on the terrain and the proximity of houses.

So 1 gun is really a bad idea, and most folks who hunt would disagree with you.

Old 01-23-2013, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
On the plus side, legalizing the ownership of automatic weapons would quickly deplete the financial resources of those that purchased and fired them. They waste ammunition like my kids waste water.

Actually, I'm leaning more toward removing the restrictions (they aren't actually banned) on automatics. The older I get, the less benefit I see from government involvement in any aspect of life, and automatic firearms would still be massively expensive if the restrictions were lifted. You probably wouldn't see a flood of people going out to purchase one for their collection. It would more likely be the avid shooters that wanted to pick one up, and then more as a novelty occasional use item rather than for any nefarious purposes.

You may be correct, and I'm not completely opposed of the idea of removing the ban on full auto. I am also a small government guy, I believe people who want something bad enough will find a way to get it.

But I try and make the most highly educated decision on what I support, and I'd like to know the real benefit of removing that ban or restriction on new sales.

Old 01-23-2013, 08:17 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,993,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I think if parents are tried for negligent homicide every time their little boy or girl takes unsecured weapons and kills their school mates, it'd change the culture of idiotic gun ownership and decrease the number of mass shootings rather quickly.

I wouldn't necessarily have a problem with that. I grew up with guns in my house, and had no issues. We can't solely blame violent movies, violent video games, or rap music, because while they do have an effect on the young mind, inthe end it is up to the parents to filter what their child sees or listens to, and teach them to differentiate between fiction, and reality. I constantly tell my 9 year old to never believe what he hears or sees on tv (even the news as there tends to be an agenda) because it isn't necessarily the whole truth.

Old 01-23-2013, 08:18 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,589,909 times
People are focused on "assault" rifles because they're scary and have been used in a few high profile crimes. This is just further evidence of an emotional reaction without analysis. The vast majority of gun crimes committed in the US are by handguns which most say would be okay. Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting that we ban those, what I'm suggesting is that we take a look at the facts before pretending something is a solution that will actually have very little effect.

Old 01-23-2013, 08:19 AM

29,505 posts, read 14,668,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
Really? Then why does the beloved hero of liberals want them banned?

Obama Calls for Renewal of Assault Weapons Ban - ABC News
Because they are ignorant of facts and unknowledgeable on the subject other that what the media and the politicians are telling them.

Old 01-23-2013, 08:20 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,572,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itlltickleurinnerds View Post
Hey Einstein, I know more about the term assault weapon than you do. It was not even coined until the German STG44 in the mid 40s was created. An automatic weapon is not an assault weapon no more than a semi is one. So if you want to nit pick and you seem like you do, you are wrong. I used the term because people are using it synonymously with semi auto military style guns. The full autos of the 30s were BARs full sized battle rifles in full auto or M1928A1 a sub machine gun. The Sturmgewehr 44 (StG44) or Strum assault grewehr rifle or gun is the origins of the term. It was new in that it did not use a pistol cartridge as the Thompson or MP44 used in the sub machine guns, and it did not use a full battle cartridge like the MG34 or M1919 used. It was a new intermediate cartridge that had a select semi full auto capability. So if you want to nit pick I can show just how much you DON'T KNOW.

Now the next way you are WRONG, no they have not been banned since 1934. They have been restricted under NFA rules. I can buy a full auto if legal in my state. I can if I have the money to pay for the cost plus the 200 dollar tax stamp and go through the back ground check and wait up to 7 month or more. No they have not been banned. How much more do you want to be shown that you don't have a clue?
You sir are incorrect. Assault rifles <> assault weapon.

Assault rifle is machine gun.

Assault weapon is any gun that looks scary.

Old 01-23-2013, 08:24 AM

16,956 posts, read 16,763,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Military assault rifles have already been banned!!! Ever since 1934. Can you at least get some facts straight please?
Bonnie and Clyde cache :

[LEFT]
Read more: Bonnie and Clyde's cache of guns set to fetch thousands at auction | Mail Online
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
[LEFT]
Read more: Bonnie and Clyde's cache of guns set to fetch thousands at auction | Mail Online

Bonnie and Clyde
Bonnie and Clyde in March 1933, in a photo found by police at the Joplin, Missouri hideout Bonnie Elizabeth Parker (October 1, 1910 – May 23, 1934) and Clyde Chestnut Barrow (March 24, 1909 – May 23, 1934)

Old 01-23-2013, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
Bonnie and Clyde cache :

[LEFT]
[LEFT]

Bonnie and Clyde
Bonnie and Clyde in March 1933, in a photo found by police at the Joplin, Missouri hideout Bonnie Elizabeth Parker (October 1, 1910 – May 23, 1934) and Clyde Chestnut Barrow (March 24, 1909 – May 23, 1934)

Clyde barrow and his gang broke into a national guard armory to get their bars and thompsons.

They didn't buy them, damn.

Old 01-23-2013, 08:26 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,572,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itlltickleurinnerds View Post
Hey Einstein, I know more about the term assault weapon than you do. It was not even coined until the German STG44 in the mid 40s was created. An automatic weapon is not an assault weapon no more than a semi is one. So if you want to nit pick and you seem like you do, you are wrong. I used the term because people are using it synonymously with semi auto military style guns. The full autos of the 30s were BARs full sized battle rifles in full auto or M1928A1 a sub machine gun. The Sturmgewehr 44 (StG44) or Strum assault grewehr rifle or gun is the origins of the term. It was new in that it did not use a pistol cartridge as the Thompson or MP44 used in the sub machine guns, and it did not use a full battle cartridge like the MG34 or M1919 used. It was a new intermediate cartridge that had a select semi full auto capability. So if you want to nit pick I can show just how much you DON'T KNOW.

Now the next way you are WRONG, no they have not been banned since 1934. They have been restricted under NFA rules. I can buy a full auto if legal in my state. I can if I have the money to pay for the cost plus the 200 dollar tax stamp and go through the back ground check and wait up to 7 month or more. No they have not been banned. How much more do you want to be shown that you don't have a clue?
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
Bonnie and Clyde cache :

[LEFT]
[LEFT]

Bonnie and Clyde

Sorry I was mistaken. Assault rifles have been practically banned for law abiding citizens but not for criminals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies