Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What guns would you ban
All guns, No one needs a gun at all 5 11.63%
Ban all semi auto guns hand gun and rifle keep your revolver and shotgun 4 9.30%
Only the guns that look like modern military guns 2 4.65%
No gun ban. Its not the guns its the culture. 32 74.42%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 10:21 AM

59,106 posts, read 27,340,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I would repeal the 1934 Firearms Act and allow citizens to own and openly carry whatever guns and magazines they pleased. However I would require background checks to prevent the violent criminals and irresponsibly insane from purchasing or owning any guns at all. I would also make concealed carry permits effective all over the nation like drivers licenses.

I would also make certain that the person that pulled the trigger was financially and legally responsible for any damage done by the bullet(s). Most importantly I would punish violent criminals that used guns very harshly.
I agree with most of what you proposes except, " I would require background checks to prevent the violent criminals and irresponsibly insane from purchasing or owning any guns at all."

We already have background checks that LAWFUL citizens comply with.

IMO. If you cause a death by commuting an unlawful act, you should lose your life.

The violent criminals are by definition law breakers. NOTHING will stop them from getting guns.

It is almost IMPOSSIBLE to determine who qualifies as "
irresponsibly insane" BEFORE they act.

Many jailed crimonals have been released by "expert" physiologists only to have them commit crime again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2013, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itlltickleurinnerds View Post
Hey Einstein, I know more about the term assault weapon than you do. It was not even coined until the German STG44 in the mid 40s was created. An automatic weapon is not an assault weapon no more than a semi is one. So if you want to nit pick and you seem like you do, you are wrong. I used the term because people are using it synonymously with semi auto military style guns. The full autos of the 30s were BARs full sized battle rifles in full auto or M1928A1 a sub machine gun. The Sturmgewehr 44 (StG44) or Strum assault grewehr rifle or gun is the origins of the term. It was new in that it did not use a pistol cartridge as the Thompson or MP44 used in the sub machine guns, and it did not use a full battle cartridge like the MG34 or M1919 used. It was a new intermediate cartridge that had a select semi full auto capability. So if you want to nit pick I can show just how much you DON'T KNOW.

Now the next way you are WRONG, no they have not been banned since 1934. They have been restricted under NFA rules. I can buy a full auto if legal in my state. I can if I have the money to pay for the cost plus the 200 dollar tax stamp and go through the back ground check and wait up to 7 month or more. No they have not been banned. How much more do you want to be shown that you don't have a clue?
"I used the term because people are using it synonymously with semi auto military style guns".
Which is exactly the point. We should/can not allow the antis to change the meaning of words.

They use the term "assault" to create a fear emotion among those who don't know the difference.

Would you call a toy poodle a pit bull?

They are both dogs and can bite. People paint a specific picture when you mention either one.

Old 01-23-2013, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy.Rivers View Post
I'd choose banning all except one gun per household, either a handgun or rifle if one chooses to have one, and increase the safety measures on them (locks, etc). And make parents accountable to keeping it away from their kids.
An unreasonable suggestion, IMO.

What do you do when 3 bad guys on drugs break into your house? Why would you limit only 1 person in your house with the ability to try to defend your family?

Locks defeat the purpose of having a gun for self/home defense.

Imagine in the middle of the night you hear glass breaking downstairs. Do you think you could find the keys, hidden away so the kids won't find them, in the dark, to your locked gun box which is stashed out of sight hidden from your children on the top shelf of your closet?

You have successfully found the locked gun box. Now you have to open it, in the dark as you hear someone coming up the steps. you wouldn't panic would you/

let's say you get the gun out of the locked box. Now you have to unlock the trigger lock, another law in some places. another key you have to find in the dark.

You are successful again. The steps are getting closer. Of course the gun is NOT loaded. By law you have to keep the ammo locked separately from the gun. Another key to find in the dark.

You are successful again, miraculously. Now you have to load the gun, in the dark. You have to put the bullets in the magazine then insert the magazine into the gun, release the bolt, without making any noise, and take the gun off "safety".

Do you really think you are most anyone could do all this before the druggies make up the steps and enter your or your kids rooms?

I doubt it.

Not to pick on you but, most people don't think scenarios all the way through before making forming an opinion.

They come up with ideas/laws without really knowing the subject or the ramifications of the ideas/laws.

Old 01-23-2013, 10:55 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,243,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
I am not sure why you find this funny.

You would also lose the right if anti gun fanatics have their way. You may not see you or anybody else have any need for this right but what happens one day when you need it?

Regardless where you stand, you should fight against losing more rights even you don't care about the Constitution or that.
I think yours, and everyone else's fears of losing your gunz to da gubmint is like over reaction knee jerkin' at best.

Besides, if da gubmint want's yer guns, and day come to git 'em, they will anyways, and what do you have to stop an armored personnel carrier or a tank to stop it with???!!! Nothing.

But I have to admit, the lefties are sure making you righties squirm a lot, and that is oh too funny!

Just goes to show how right wing passes the fear mongering along to those who suck it up, they follow the nutty people like sheep, then become nutty themselves.

watch the video, this is what they'll do when people resist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tXp2y2i3K8

Old 01-23-2013, 11:00 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,572,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
I think yours, and everyone else's fears of losing your gunz to da gubmint is like over reaction knee jerkin' at best.

Besides, if da gubmint want's yer guns, and day come to git 'em, they will anyways, and what do you have to stop an armored personnel carrier or a tank to stop it with???!!! Nothing.

But I have to admit, the lefties are sure making you righties squirm a lot, and that is oh too funny!

Just goes to show how right wing passes the fear mongering along to those who suck it up, they follow the nutty people like sheep, then become nutty themselves.
I bet if we want put restriction on the freedom of speech, you would scream bloody genocide.

Old 01-23-2013, 11:05 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,554,711 times
Quote:
I am not sure why you find this funny.
I'll gladly explain, then.

I'm old enough to have seen this entire circus repeatedly in the past.

And I'm VERY confident that no one's guns will confiscated.

Of course, young 'uns are free to sweat and fret about it as much as they'd like.

It's amusing.

Quote:
You would also lose the right if anti gun fanatics have their way. You may not see you or anybody else have any need for this right but what happens one day when you need it?
My guns and I are safe from the clutches of the jackboooted UN thugs in their black helicopters.

Quote:
Regardless where you stand, you should fight against losing more rights even you don't care about the Constitution or that.
I'm not fearful of anyone's gun rights being compromised in any meaninglful way. But I am enjoying the spectacle.

Old 01-23-2013, 11:10 AM

Quote:
I bet if we want put restriction on the freedom of speech, you would scream bloody genocide.
I find this discussion a little ironic.

I'd bet if a search was done we would find some of the same posters who vehemently oppose voter ID are the same ones who want registration for gun ownership.

Voting is one of our most precious rights and SHOULD be protected yet, there are many who don't believe we should guarantee ONLY those who do qualify to vote can.

Gun ownership is ALSO a right yet, some of the same people want to put restrictions on that right.

Old 01-23-2013, 11:10 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,243,959 times
Quote:
And who pre-tell might do that? Is this more fear mongering? It doesn't scare me in the least.

Watch the video at this website.

TacArm at Trexpo East 2007 | BLUtube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
I'll gladly explain, then.

I'm old enough to have seen this entire circus repeatedly in the past.

And I'm VERY confident that no one's guns will confiscated.

Of course, young 'uns are free to sweat and fret about it as much as they'd like.

It's amusing.

My guns and I are safe from the clutches of the jackboooted UN thugs in their black helicopters.

I'm not fearful of anyone's gun rights being compromised in any meaninglful way. But I am enjoying the spectacle.
Me too.

Old 01-23-2013, 11:14 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,690,945 times
I would ban everything down to bubble guns in the possession of 5 year old terrorists.

I'm not a gun-banner, but this kind of mentality shows you exactly how far people have taken the issue.

Old 01-23-2013, 11:15 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,572,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
And who pre-tell might do that? Is this more fear mongering? It doesn't scare me in the least.

Watch the video at this website.

TacArm at Trexpo East 2007 | BLUtube

Me too.
I can't imagine what kind of person would enjoy watching our rights under threat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies