Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 11:05 AM

2,075 posts, read 4,446,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelStraker View Post
You can't have it both ways. At what point does the "fertilized egg" become human?
A rose by any other name would smell as sweet... it doesn't matter what word a pregnant women uses to refer to her pregnancy. A fertilized egg is not a human life, it is a part of the mother relying on her for the necessary resources to develop into a baby... which culminates in person-hood upon birth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2013, 11:05 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,123,773 times
It's not about when life begins, it's about when love begins. A female who gets pregnant and has total disdain for the human being she is developing will likely not love it. In fact, she actually hates the being inside her and seeks to rid herself of it. It's a very gruesome and disgusting episode in selfishiness: Sex without the consequence, personal irresponsibility without the conscious.

Old 01-25-2013, 11:06 AM

6,331 posts, read 5,210,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
North Carolina just sentenced a man to two life sentences for murdering a pregnant woman and her unborn child. You need to do a little rethinking.
How many months pregant was the woman, was she in the last weeks of her pregnancy or was she in the first week? A zygote is not the same as an 8 1/2 month old fetus

Old 01-25-2013, 11:06 AM

4,300 posts, read 4,408,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
And sometimes she actually does.

She does? I can honestly say I've never heard a person talk that way.

Any such bright line is completely arbitrary. All we can say for certain is that over a course of nine months, something that is obviously not a human (i.e. a fertilized ovum) becomes something that obviously is a human (i.e. a full term fetus). During much if not most of those nine months, it is not obviously either.
What about "premies"? Plenty of children are born before full term, with many born at 8 months and some even in the 2nd trimester?

Old 01-25-2013, 11:07 AM

691 posts, read 771,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInHouston View Post
A rose by any other name would smell as sweet... it doesn't matter what word a pregnant women uses to refer to her pregnancy. A fertilized egg is not a human life, it is a part of the mother relying on her for the necessary resources to develop into a baby... which culminates in person-hood upon birth.

Tell that to the guys on death row for double murder when they kill a pregnant woman.

Old 01-25-2013, 11:07 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,585,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
The question isn't when life begins, it's when human life beings

A fertizlied egg is not a human
Since the left claims to be about science: science tells us that at conception there is a living organism of the human species with its own individual DNA distinct from both mother and father.

Old 01-25-2013, 11:12 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,880,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawg82 View Post
Oh! Ok. I thought you were going to renounce Justin Beiber and burn all of his CDs. Ok. Well, I guess this is important too . . . ;^D
I can agree to this. Tell me more

Old 01-25-2013, 11:12 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,198,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
North Carolina just sentenced a man to two life sentences for murdering a pregnant woman and her unborn child. You need to do a little rethinking.

very true, if an unborn child is not considered a human being until the child is born, then no unborn should be considered murdered as it is really not a child.

doesnt make much sense to me, but others will probably see it that way.

Old 01-25-2013, 11:13 AM

Location: Currently I physically reside on the 3rd planet from the sun
2,220 posts, read 1,877,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
The question isn't when life begins, it's when human life beings

A fertizlied egg is not a human
What other life comes from a "human" fertilized egg?

That said, I personally am with you on the idea that there is a time frame in which it is reasonable to abort a "human" during the early stages of embryonic development.

Now that said, I still respect the opinions of those who disagree with me on the conservative side.
If we are talking about human life, I believe we should err on the side of life, rather than death.

Old 01-25-2013, 11:13 AM

9,189 posts, read 7,600,003 times
The best logic is don't personally have an abortion. I didn't and I won't. Problem solved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies