Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 05:01 PM

7,788 posts, read 8,033,284 times

Advertisements

We dont have enough able players for a football team let alone field a disabled team.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2013, 05:06 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,065,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Well state championship title is pretty important to lots of HS sports teams.

What "reasonable modifications" do you do to the rules ? Is out of bounds acceptable IF the student doing it is disabled ?
Does one NOT tackle the kid with the ball because he's in a wheelchair ?

No, I see two separate teams being formed within schools. Means hire lots more coaches.
Heck, who needs Math/Science teachers anyway ?
Ya know we've had Title IX for more than 40 years and the "reasonable": accommodation statutes that it requires hasn't stop Alabama from winning the BCS title, nor Kentucky from winning a national title.

Old 01-25-2013, 05:08 PM

7,788 posts, read 8,033,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Ya know we've had Title IX for more than 40 years and the "reasonable": accommodation statutes that it requires hasn't stop Alabama from winning the BCS title, nor Kentucky from winning a national title.
just who are you calling disabled there

Old 01-25-2013, 05:08 PM

6,512 posts, read 7,553,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
"Schools can't deny a disabled student a slot on a sports team because a coach believes he can't compete."

So the disable kid can't be cut now. Next the coach will have to listen to the parents whine and cry about why their kid isn't playing. Then the coach will bend and put em in there and they get plastered all over the field and the parents will sue for putting littly Johnny in a dangerous situation.

All kids should play when they are younger. High school sports are much more serious. The entire premise is competing. You compete with the guys on your team to start, you compete with the opponent to win. I guess that's not fair but neither is life. Not everybody was cut out for sports. Not everybody was cut out to be in the choir either.
It will be interesting how this all plays out.

Old 01-25-2013, 05:32 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,481,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Well, it has finally come. Special education has finally met up with sports in the public schools. This is just the beginning.

Disabled students must be given sports, says Education Dept. - U.S. News

Isn't that what coaches do every time they hold tryouts? So... when does the ADA hit the pros?
This is nothing.

[mountain out of a mole hill]

Old 01-25-2013, 05:48 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,017,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee squared View Post
It will be interesting how this all plays out.
It will play out like it always does. Lawyers splitting a pile of cash...........all for the children of course.

Heck our local junior high cut out the entire sports for 7th graders last year to save money. Kids have to go play AAU or USSSA or what have you or city league stuff until they get into eight grade now. Now when folks will demand that disable kids have their own teams to compete against each other, that means more coaches, bus trips, equipment etc. etc. etc. What about all the trophies after every game. I mean they're gonna have to all get a trophy for showing up. What if no other schools have enough kids to field a disabled team? I guess they take somebody's spot. Oh sorry Bob I know you've been working out your entire life and this was the year you were going to compete for the starting spot on the high school football team but we have a disable boy who is taking your spot.

Old 01-25-2013, 06:00 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,427,122 times
More nonsense due to Obama's reelection I fear more to come. A directive forbidding folks to deny felons a job will be forthcoming soon. Tests will be eliminated since certain groups don't do well taking tests.

Old 01-25-2013, 06:10 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,427,122 times
Quote:
“We already have gone to great lengths to include students with disabilities in a way that it is not detrimental to the fundamental concept of the contest,” he said, pointing to a wrestler with no legs who racked up a 36-14 record in his senior year competing on a traditional team.
He said a wheelchair division at the state track-and-field championships has been a “disappointment,” with not much interest. “A majority of our special-needs students would prefer to compete in the Special Olympics,” he said.

Well look it here left to their own schools developed special wheel chair divisions and the kids still preferred to compete in the Special Olympics. It's kind of like the women in front lines directive, there isn't much demand or big outcry for a change but golly gee Obamabots see something unequal and it must be remedied.

Well I'm sure the lawyers will figure out to make a killing, they're cleaning up with the American Disability Act in NYC.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/17/ny...pagewanted=all

Old 01-25-2013, 06:39 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,170,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
More nonsense due to Obama's reelection I fear more to come. A directive forbidding folks to deny felons a job will be forthcoming soon. Tests will be eliminated since certain groups don't do well taking tests.
If they eliminate the standardized testing I will return to teaching. I hate teaching to the test. However, I suspect the more likely scenario is that they will change the tests.

Old 01-25-2013, 06:44 PM

45,235 posts, read 26,464,208 times
The bigger issue is the federal government in far away DC telling the states and local school districts how to run their programs and saddling them with mandates they cannot afford.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies