Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 10:46 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,263,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by never-more View Post
What is it with certain people and their claim that the 'everyone is a winner' movement has infiltrated schools?

Oh I don't know...the "no cut" policy already in place in plenty of schools?

Thankfully that ends at the HS level in the school my kids are in, but it's such a waste of time for all involved before then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2013, 10:56 PM

39,875 posts, read 26,526,580 times
Then they need to open the Special Olympics to the non-disabled. Gotta treat everyone equally doncha know?

Honestly, someone pretty "special" must have come up with this ruling.

Old 01-25-2013, 11:38 PM

37,138 posts, read 42,234,436 times
My sons school had a one armed basketball player. He was good. The key word here is "qualified", it's not "change everything so everyone can play and win".

I'm a little concered with cost for some districts (there is no money coming along with new requirements...there never is) and the lawsuits that will happen because new laws always bring lawsuits, that's just a fact of life. Lawyers see $$ so will make sure to exploit this. Truth is, there probably aren't enough handicapped kids in a district to put together a team of any sort that they all want to be a part of anyway.

Old 01-26-2013, 12:47 AM

563 posts, read 807,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post

Thankfully that ends at the HS level in the school my kids are in, but it's such a waste of time for all involved before then.
And what's wrong with that?

Old 01-26-2013, 12:53 AM

37,138 posts, read 42,234,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post

"no cut" is for recreational sports/physical education in schools. It's how kids learn to play. By the time they get to high school they have to try out to play on competitive teams.

Old 01-26-2013, 06:52 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,170,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
"no cut" is for recreational sports/physical education in schools. It's how kids learn to play. By the time they get to high school they have to try out to play on competitive teams.
This will eventually lead to the end of the tryouts. All it is going to take is a couple of lawsuits that little Billy or Susie didn't get chosen because the parents decided the coach thought they couldn't compete because they were disabled. Also, I wonder how they are going to handle kicking kids off teams because of discipline problems; you just know the lawsuits are coming for that one if Junior has an emotional/behavioral disorder.

Old 01-26-2013, 07:15 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,427,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
And yet none of that will happen under this, not even close.
You didn't read the article? One kid in a wheelchair said he hopes this means he can compete against runners. How can someone on wheels compete with someone on legs. The ironic thing is that schools have already setup activities for disabled but the disabled themselves seem to prefer competing in the Special Olympics.

What liberals miss in their quest to make everyone equal is that people like to gather and socialize with people who share things in common. There is something very self reaffirming for an individual who is "different" being with other folks who are also "different".

Old 01-26-2013, 07:37 AM

23,566 posts, read 17,241,593 times
Well the disabled could easily compete on a level playing field if high schools would bring back 'rifle teams' and competetive shooting.

That would be a good start.

Old 01-26-2013, 07:42 AM

344 posts, read 427,851 times
And the Nanny State continues. As soon as a disabled Child is injured, the school will be liable. This is just stupid.

Old 01-26-2013, 08:07 AM

59,111 posts, read 27,340,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Well, it has finally come. Special education has finally met up with sports in the public schools. This is just the beginning.

Disabled students must be given sports, says Education Dept. - U.S. News

Isn't that what coaches do every time they hold tryouts? So... when does the ADA hit the pros?
With all the "everyone is equal", you know no grades, everyone gets a trophy, etc, does it make any sense for the disabled to constantly be eliminated and humiliated from making the team because they CAN'T compete with people who are NOT disabled. It seems some don't know what disabled means.

I can see it now, a student wants run in the 100 yard dash. Because he can't even walk and is confined to his wheelchair, the school HAS to let him try out. How humiliating is he going to feel when the slowest runner times in at 15 seconds and he times in at 2minutes?

And some wonder why many of us want to get rid of the Dept. of No Education.

"The President’s FY2011 budget request calls for significant increases in education spending and, as promised, the Department of Education is exempt from Obama’s so-called spending freeze."

"Since 1985, inflation-adjusted federal spending on K-12 education has increased 138 percent. Yet, indicators of educational improvement such as increases in academic achievement and graduation rates have remained flat."

" funding for the Department of Education will increase 10 percent under the president’s proposed budget, raising total discretionary spending to $50.7 billion."
Education Spending Skyrockets in 2011 U.S. Budget

And this was 2011.

How about 2012?

"Among domestic programs, education comes out a winner in the president's fiscal 2012 budget: Spending would increase 11 percent, to more than $77 billion.

44 - Budget 2012: Department of Education

So this what $77 billion gets us!

Someone PLEASE explain to me what GOOD has been done to the education of our children by the Dept of Ed!

Education is a STATE responsibility. Get the fed out and ave some money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies