Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 07:02 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,288,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Remember the motto of education..
EVERYONE is a winner so change the rules to make that happen.
From the letter:

Quote:
This letter does not add requirements to applicable law, but provides information and examples to inform recipients about how OCR evaluates whether covered entities are complying with their legal
obligations.
No rules change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2013, 08:49 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,263,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Yep. The extremist rightie wing nuts get themselves in a lather over everything. What a bunch of losers! These morons are never happy unless they can exclude someone, be it for their skin color, gender, sexual preferences, nationality, language, or even disability. They have had things their exclusive way for far too long in this country. Well, grab your cheeks nutjobs and kiss your privileged butts goodbye.
Settle down, Sammy.

Who is asking for this?

Disabled students across the country or the mess in DC because they found something else to have false outrage over?

Old 01-25-2013, 09:07 PM

563 posts, read 807,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Remember the motto of education..
EVERYONE is a winner so change the rules to make that happen.
What is it with certain people and their claim that the 'everyone is a winner' movement has infiltrated schools?

Old 01-25-2013, 09:28 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,177,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sci Fi Fan View Post
I share in your pain, brother. How dare the government make society pay to help the disabled and disadvantaged.
You're free to spend your own money to start your disabled sports franchise whenever you so desire, so what's stopping you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
This is nothing.

[mountain out of a mole hill]
Wait until you get the bill in the form of higher property taxes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by never-more View Post
What is it with certain people and their claim that the 'everyone is a winner' movement has infiltrated schools?
Never taught before have you? Nope.

I had to deal with this. Students are used to getting 'A's and then they get into university and don't understand why they're getting 'C's and 'D's.

Student: It's not fair that I got a 'D.'
Me: Uh, wut? The topic was jus cogens and peremptory norms. You displayed a level of knowledge and understanding that was below average....average is a 'C'....below average is a 'D'....you couldn't define jus cogens and couldn't even cite an example of a peremptory norm, and you want an 'A'?

That's almost a verbatim conversation I had with a student, who then sicked her parents on me(she ended up dropping the course for a grade of 'WF').

Disabling...

Mircea

Old 01-25-2013, 09:36 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,170,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by never-more View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Never taught before have you? Nope.

I had to deal with this. Students are used to getting 'A's and then they get into university and don't understand why they're getting 'C's and 'D's.

Student: It's not fair that I got a 'D.'
Me: Uh, wut? The topic was jus cogens and peremptory norms. You displayed a level of knowledge and understanding that was below average....average is a 'C'....below average is a 'D'....you couldn't define jus cogens and couldn't even cite an example of a peremptory norm, and you want an 'A'?

That's almost a verbatim conversation I had with a student, who then sicked her parents on me(she ended up dropping the course for a grade of 'WF').

Disabling...

Mircea
I was getting ready to ask the same thing. Anyone in the public schools KNOWS this is how grades now operate. It isn't the teachers that want this - it is parents and administrators. Just try to fail little Johnny, whether its because he didn't do the work or isn't capable of it, and you will find yourself visiting the principal. There are multiple schools that have "no fail" policies. It is a huge disservice we do to kids.

Old 01-25-2013, 10:18 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,083,605 times
Wheel chair bound- demands to be on swim team
20/100 sight with stigmatism- demands to be on archery team.
350 lbs- demands to be on gymnastics team
Severe autism- demands to be on debate team
Lawyers smell blood in the water. Ready to pounce on legal actions for quick cash

Old 01-25-2013, 10:29 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,021,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Who's paying?
Very good question.

This should be a local decision - the federal government should butf out.

Now these districts have to cough up some cash to pay for some liberal "crusade"!

How come the schools need to do this? There are already private charities that support athletics for special needs children.

Both parents of such childen whom I know would be adamantly against this requirement.

Old 01-25-2013, 10:30 PM

37,143 posts, read 42,234,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
Wheel chair bound- demands to be on swim team
20/100 sight with stigmatism- demands to be on archery team.
350 lbs- demands to be on gymnastics team
Severe autism- demands to be on debate team
Lawyers smell blood in the water. Ready to pounce on legal actions for quick cash
And yet none of that will happen under this, not even close.

Old 01-25-2013, 10:33 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,021,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
The bigger issue is the federal government in far away DC telling the states and local school districts how to run their programs and saddling them with mandates they cannot afford.
It is most definitely is an intrusion on local school board rights, that is for sure.

Can anyone who supports this tell me who will pay for it?

Raising taxes to fund it is not acceptable - we are supposed to be stimulating economic growth - and the quickest way to stifle innovation and economic expansion is to raise taxes.

Old 01-25-2013, 10:41 PM

217 posts, read 360,989 times
Kill department of education before they literally kill your precious Corkey. Football was so important to us kids, knowing the top get most of the game time, but just those few innings where good hustle players get time makes a team. Benchwarmers that give their all and don't get game time wear moral down, and I see that happing here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies