Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 04:23 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,861,562 times

Advertisements

I'm sure there are quite a few quotes that were attributed to certain people that were either not said by that person or were said by another person. They still sound good though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2013, 05:08 PM

57,297 posts, read 26,217,746 times
We have a constitution, democratically elected representatives who in turn appoint supreme court justices to interpret the constitution, but you don't like them so you want to take up arms. I could understand if this was Syria or Somalia, but this is a democratic society, time to get over your personal point of view and use some logic, thank god you are in the minority like people such as Timothy McVeigh.

Old 01-27-2013, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
We have a constitution, democratically elected representatives who in turn appoint supreme court justices to interpret the constitution, but you don't like them so you want to take up arms. I could understand if this was Syria or Somalia, but this is a democratic society, time to get over your personal point of view and use some logic, thank god you are in the minority like people such as Timothy McVeigh.
In 2008 and 2010, the Supreme Court issued two landmark decisions officially establishing this interpretation. In District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008), the Court ruled that the Second Amendment protects an individual's right to possess a firearm, unconnected to service in a militia and to use that arm for traditionally lawful purposes, such as self-defense within the home within many longstanding prohibitions and restrictions on firearms possession listed by the Court as being consistent with the Second Amendment. In McDonald v. Chicago, 561 U.S. 3025 (2010), the Court ruled that the Second Amendment limits state and local governments to the same extent that it limits the federal government.

Old 01-27-2013, 06:04 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,722,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Nice! Of course, you just described yourself in that polemic leveled at every citizen of this country. You must be very unhappy here with such poor self-esteem and so blistering a disdain for everyone else. I sincerely hope you haven't spawned.

As for me, fortuitously I like it here and I have trust in the general goodness and good sense of the people at large. I've served in the miliary both here and aroad. I've been a cop in the past and I've owned guns all my life. I fully intend to contine to.

What I don't intend to do is get excited by any of the inflammatory and finger-pointing rhetoric from either side of the argument. Life's too short for such wasted effort.
All right, Rip Van Winkle, just how many more innocents must be slaughtered by people of "general goodness and good sense" before you wake up to the fact that today's reality of American life bears no resemblance to that of 1789?

Would it take a workplace or school shooting every single day in every single American city before taking action would rise above the level of "wasted effort"?

Just don't come here expecting anyone to listen to your "inflammatory rhetoric" in the tragic event that mindless gun violence one day takes a loved one from you and you wake from your deep sleep. Because the petrified minds stuck in the 18th century with whom you resonate will respond only with "tough toenails", then go out and buy 10 more guns.

Old 01-27-2013, 06:08 PM

Quote:
How many firearms did Timothy McVeigh use in his cowardly act of terrorism?

80 million law abiding US citizens admit to owning over 300 million firearms. Notice admit, I would bet millions more law abiding citizens do not admit to owning firearms and / or the numbers of firearms they own.

Last edited by hogfamily; 01-27-2013 at 06:17 PM..

Old 01-27-2013, 06:19 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,455,656 times
Quote:
The Supreme Court does not always get it right either. Such as in Minersville School District v. Gobitis, 310 U.S. 586 (1940), where the Supreme Court held that schools could compel students to recite the Pledge of Allegiance and imprison those who refuse to comply.

It would not be for another three years before the exact same Supreme Court overturned their own 1940 decision in West Virginia State Board of Education v. Barnette, 319 U.S. 624 (1943). FYI, according to the ACLU there were 342 Jehovah Witness children in prison for refusing to comply with the Smith Act of 1939 by 1943.

The US Constitution merely acknowledges our inherent individual rights, it does not grant them. Regardless of what the Supreme Court may decide, those inherent individual rights will continue to exist whether they are acknowledged by the courts or not.

If the Supreme Court were to decide that you no longer had a right to free speech, would that inherent individual right simply disappear? Of course not. The same thing is true for our inherent individual right to bear arms.

Old 01-27-2013, 06:24 PM

2,836 posts, read 3,496,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogfamily View Post
In 2008 and 2010, the Supreme Court issued two landmark decisions officially establishing this interpretation. In District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008), the Court ruled that the Second Amendment protects an individual's right to possess a firearm, unconnected to service in a militia and to use that arm for traditionally lawful purposes, such as self-defense within the home within many longstanding prohibitions and restrictions on firearms possession listed by the Court as being consistent with the Second Amendment. In McDonald v. Chicago, 561 U.S. 3025 (2010), the Court ruled that the Second Amendment limits state and local governments to the same extent that it limits the federal government.
The decisions in District of Columbia v. Heller and McDonald v. Chicago do not alter the principle that your right to have a gun is subject to law. Indeed, these decisions left the National Firearms Acts and nearly all but one state gun law in tact and full force and effect. You will soon find out that the NRA has misrepresented you; for in insisting on making a federal case of gun ownership, they have unwittingly made the rights of all gun owners less secure. You will soon see more gun laws than ever before, and find yourself the more "well regulated".

Old 01-27-2013, 06:25 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,969,090 times
Quote:
We simply want the Govt to live by their OATH and protect the CONS, rather than tear at it.. They are tearing at it, and ignoring it. To me that's Treason.

Old 01-27-2013, 06:34 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,969,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
All right, Rip Van Winkle, just how many more innocents must be slaughtered by people of "general goodness and good sense" before you wake up to the fact that today's reality of American life bears no resemblance to that of 1789?

Would it take a workplace or school shooting every single day in every single American city before taking action would rise above the level of "wasted effort"?

Just don't come here expecting anyone to listen to your "inflammatory rhetoric" in the tragic event that mindless gun violence one day takes a loved one from you and you wake from your deep sleep. Because the petrified minds stuck in the 18th century with whom you resonate will respond only with "tough toenails", then go out and buy 10 more guns.
For a great many years now the People and the NRA have begged for harsher laws that put away violent felons once and for all.

Nut oh no we can't have that..... And these same violent offenders are parolled over and over again. The one i shot had served 6 different times for drug related violent crimes, and was wanted for 6 more at the time i shot him.

I was on the phone at the same time trying to get the police to come. Because of my remote location and the hour, the cop on the phone told me that the cops are not my personal body guards.

I will never ever again call the cops for assistance.

Topping that off, Easter 1999 my father in law, a x 30 years Army vet, 30 more classified at Kodak, and his 2nd wife a lawyer were stabbed to death in there home by a madman who was shot in the ankle the day before for stealing knives!

SWAT was only 3 city blocks away from the house, but it took them more than 3 hours to show up.

So you are going to have to excuse me, from any Draconian new laws that also can't and won't be enforced.

There is only one way to disarm me.... it's a fact you grabbers will have to learn to live with, other wise you will need a gun to stop me.

Old 01-27-2013, 06:35 PM

Gun Laws and the Fools of Chelm - Newsweek and The Daily Beast
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies