Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 09:39 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,688,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
In my eyes, 2 years isn't very long when it's a $3B project at stake.

There's no numbers in the cited article, just someone singin' the "too much money" blues. Very few companies don't sing the blues when the cost of production rises, as it inevitably does, whether due to labor costs, raw materials, regulation, etc.

Oddly enough we rarely if ever hear them crying about the rising cost of upper management

I'd need to see a lot more details before I'd feel any sympathy for his alleged plight.
I don't feel sympathy. Just pack it in and go somewhere else. The EPA has infinite money to wage court battles and plenty of publicity via the environmental activist groups.

You know the EPA will win in the end and the future, with regards to coal, looks awfully expensive.

The government wants us to move to new forms of energy. So be it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2013, 09:44 AM

20,496 posts, read 12,433,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawg82 View Post
Texas does have an incredible jump in wage brackets across the board. They have recently surpassed NY as the 2nd most populace state so the need for all the lower earning jobs (the Walmart and fast food type of jobs) are going to reflect that. But the I-35 stretch from DFW to San Antonio has become a major IT corredor in the US a major player in International business. It really is growing across all the pay brackets, but the lower ones will always be the greatest in growth as long as the population continues to grow due to the very nature of those jobs.

In every single case that I have seen where some "news" outlet talked about low wage jobs in Texas, assumed the value of a dollar in Texas was the same as in New York.

That is simply an apples and brie comparison. The fact is Texas has a vastly lower cost of living than most other parts of the nation and therefore the dollar goes far farther.

These "brilliant people" with all their S M R T s like to point out low wages in Texas but they dont admit that a person in New York making $150k a year would only need to make $66K to have the same standard of living in Dallas Texas.

but hey, they get to be snarky so its all good right?

Old 01-28-2013, 09:45 AM

1,167 posts, read 1,125,389 times
Quote:
Turbines too modern a concept for you to wrap your mind around so you resort to the horse and it's output you know so well?
i think it applies more to the left!!!

Old 01-28-2013, 09:46 AM

68,369 posts, read 54,599,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I don't feel sympathy. Just pack it in and go somewhere else. The EPA has infinite money to wage court battles and plenty of publicity via the environmental activist groups.

You know the EPA will win in the end and the future, with regards to coal, looks awfully expensive.

The government wants us to move to new forms of energy. So be it.
If you know of one I'd be interested in seeing a link to data that actually breaks down the costs of both the plant and power production and how much it's changed by EPA standards. I don't think coal is going away anytime soon but seeing the recent pictures of air in China, I don't see trying to clean it up as a bad thing. Reminded me of driving thru the pre-emission controls LA Basin, not very pleasant at all.

Old 01-28-2013, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.XXX View Post
i think it applies more to the left!!!
I think you're wrong and haven't thought about it very much/well at all.

You whine about the left wanting new-fangled stuff and then allege the left would prefer horse & buggy.

Didn't mommy ever teach you you can't have your cake and eat it too?

Old 01-28-2013, 09:48 AM

6,354 posts, read 3,666,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Well, as long as the EPA considers CO2 a climate destroying pollutant, I doubt any energy from coal would be considered clean by them.

We have plenty of coal plants around where I live, and there is no pollution, soot, etc.. as a result. We have great fishing, and the bald eagles are thriving.

These coal power plants kill 1,000's of Americans every year.

Death and Disease from Power Plants - Clean Air Task Force (CATF)

Old 01-28-2013, 09:48 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,705,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
They new wave of plant is intermediate load spark fired RICE designed to start fast enough to hold up the grid when the wond stops blowing! We're building 1 now and permiting the second. It will never replace baseload MISO and similer syetem controllers ( PJM, ERCOT etc.) are already planning for outages in the future.......
RICE!!!???? The EPA is not having any of that, they are hell bend on punishing companies, municipalities and electric coops who use those generators for peak loading offsets or for other reasons.

All the EPA has been doing is increasing the costs of energy with no regard to what it will cost, or how it harms the economy or affects jobs during "the worst economy since the Great Depression."

Old 01-28-2013, 09:49 AM

1,167 posts, read 1,125,389 times
Quote:
I think you're wrong and haven't thought about it very much/well at all
I'm surprised you haven't brought up religion yet...

BTW...I guess you don't have worry about energy costs when you live in your mother's basement..

Old 01-28-2013, 09:52 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,705,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad3 View Post
These coal power plants kill 13,000 Americans every year.

Death and Disease from Power Plants - Clean Air Task Force (CATF)
More people probably die from choking on food, or walking down stairs.

Many more people would die without electricity, and these are theoretical studies.

Old 01-28-2013, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.XXX View Post
I'm surprised you haven't brought up religion yet...

BTW...I guess you don't have worry about energy costs when you live in your mother's basement..
I'm not surprised you post yet another inane non-sequitur.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies