Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 10:22 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,659,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I don't know, haven't read enough about it.

I've spent more time in the auto biz and well remember all the griping about EPA standards and how they couldn't be met and at the time there really wasn't any great technology available. But today you'd have a hard time convincing me that today's cars aren't more fuel efficient, cleaner, and longer lived than those of 30-40 years ago, due largely to emissions standards, and that they aren't a better value for the consumer. Given the industry used to seem more concerned about making neater looking tail-fins than making any serious engineering improvements, I doubt we'd have gotten to where we are as quckly without standards being imposed.

Makes me prone to asking whether the power companies can't do it or just don't want to.
Well the EPA has been known to set mandates for stuff not invented yet in the hopes that they will be invented and accessible by the time the mandate comes into force. And the companies end up paying penalties even if they cannot meet the mandate.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/10/bu...e-biofuel.html
When the companies that supply motor fuel close the books on 2011, they will pay about $6.8 million in penalties to the Treasury because they failed to mix a special type of biofuel into their gasoline and diesel as required by law.

But there was none to be had. Outside a handful of laboratories and workshops, the ingredient, cellulosic biofuel, does not exist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2013, 10:26 AM

31,295 posts, read 20,797,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.XXX View Post
With the blessing of our Dear Marxist Leader...Better get used to the idea of EPA draconian energy polices!!!

Obama EPA kills power plant, 3,900 jobs in Texas | WashingtonExaminer.com
He doesn't care about jobs. They are not important to Obama.

If he would only get out of the way the economy would fully recover.

Old 01-28-2013, 10:28 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,226,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Just don't drink the water or breathe the air there!
Don't believe everything Michael Moore tells you.

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 01-28-2013 at 10:37 AM..

Old 01-28-2013, 10:33 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,226,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
You're not gonna make even 60 grand a year in straight time unless you're a highly skilled guy, and i've asked around. No way. And sure, a lot of guys make 100k a year...i've met them, but you're not gonna have any free time doing it if you're labor. That's gonna require at least 12 hours a day and you're gonna work 6 days a week if not 7.

So i don't know what sense it makes to knock down 100k a year and never see your sofa for more than a few hours a day.
LOL, you've "asked around" and "met" these guys? Hell, I'm married to one and live in an oilfield-dominated area in Texas. Most of my banking customers (whose financial situations I knew inside and out) were oilfield workers.

Also, prior to banking, I worked in the staffing industry and many of my clients were oilfield services companies. I recruited personnel for them. I know the hours required.

A very common schedule for entry level work is 14 days on and 7 days off - I mean completely off.

My husband works 14 days on and 14 days off. That's another common schedule, but less common for entry level. It's a FANTASTIC schedule.

No one is claiming that oilfield work isn't very physical and can require some long hours. And clearly it's not for you. But many, many people are providing very well for their families working in the oilfields in Texas (and other states).

It's an industry that definitely separates the boys from the men.

Old 01-28-2013, 10:36 AM

1,167 posts, read 1,125,094 times
Quote:
It's an industry that definitely separates the boys from the men.
So I guess my buddy(Burdell) doesn't have a chance!!!

Old 01-28-2013, 10:41 AM

68,360 posts, read 54,566,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Well the EPA has been known to set mandates for stuff not invented yet in the hopes that they will be invented and accessible by the time the mandate comes into force. And the companies end up paying penalties even if they cannot meet the mandate.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/10/bu...e-biofuel.html
When the companies that supply motor fuel close the books on 2011, they will pay about $6.8 million in penalties to the Treasury because they failed to mix a special type of biofuel into their gasoline and diesel as required by law.

But there was none to be had. Outside a handful of laboratories and workshops, the ingredient, cellulosic biofuel, does not exist.
We have met the enemy and he is us, eh?

If I had THE solution, I'd be enjoying my house in La Jolla right now

This is ludicrous and the type of thing that needs to end.

But I also remember when I was in HS, a car with 100,000 miles on it was scarpyard material, now that's not even considered high mileage. We do make progress, granted it's often of the two steps forward-one step back and sometimes the one step forward-two steps back variety but we do make progress.

I have no doubt the government goes overboard with regulations at times, but it can also be said at times private-industry acts with total disregard of the environment/public good when the bottom line is at stake, i.e. Love Canal, etc. I doubt we'll ever reach a point where the two peacefully co-exist without ill-thought actions from both sides.

Old 01-28-2013, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.XXX View Post
So I guess my buddy(Burdell) doesn't have a chance!!!
If I'm missing a chance to work with people like you I guess I just have another blessing to count, eh?

Old 01-28-2013, 10:48 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,659,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
We have met the enemy and he is us, eh?

If I had THE solution, I'd be enjoying my house in La Jolla right now

This is ludicrous and the type of thing that needs to end.

But I also remember when I was in HS, a car with 100,000 miles on it was scarpyard material, now that's not even considered high mileage. We do make progress, granted it's often of the two steps forward-one step back and sometimes the one step forward-two steps back variety but we do make progress.

I have no doubt the government goes overboard with regulations at times, but it can also be said at times private-industry acts with total disregard of the environment/public good when the bottom line is at stake, i.e. Love Canal, etc. I doubt we'll ever reach a point where the two peacefully co-exist without ill-thought actions from both sides.
Pretty much. IMHO I think the EPA needs to back off some because the wind/solar are not coming up to speed quick enough to take over.

Power plants cannot be built overnight and our population is growing.
While the EPA may have good intentions to move to green energy they also need to consider that the industry may not be where they want it today and make modifications to their grand plan.

While energy efficient engines have occurred, older vehicles did not get outlawed or fined heavily.
Not every American can be forced to buy a new car because newer engines are better for the environment.

Old 01-28-2013, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Pretty much. IMHO I think the EPA needs to back off some because the wind/solar are not coming up to speed quick enough to take over.

Power plants cannot be built overnight and our population is growing.
While the EPA may have good intentions to move to green energy they also need to consider that the industry may not be where they want it today and make modifications to their grand plan.
I agree, perhaps instead of imposing standards we need something like incentives
to encourage the development cleaner methods? I can't see giving up on coal, we have too much of it, but I wouldn't want to see air like some of the recent pictures we've seen of China either. Without setting the bar higher it just seems too easy to get complacent and accept the current technology as the 'ultimate'. Just lookm a something simple like spark plugs. The norm used to be 8 per vehicle, replaced every 6-12K miles, now it's 4-6 per vehicle replaced perhaps every 60K miles, not good if you manufacture sparkm plugs but a good deal for the consumer.

Quote:
While energy efficient engines have occurred, older vehicles did not get outlawed or fined heavily. Not every American can be forced to buy a new car because newer engines are better for the environment.
A bit easier with vehicles, natural attrition of the older ones as well as the efficiency of newer models makes the repair/replace question a little easier to answer as time passes. I do believe government standards hastened the process and the people I know who've left the repair business because things just don't break like they used to leaves no doubt in my mind the improvements are real and not just marketing hype.

Old 01-28-2013, 11:38 AM

61,286 posts, read 87,582,718 times
EPA has become a weapon which is wielded by big government to extract fine revenue and discourage domestic industry.
another leech on an a tired blood drained host.
when the host dies the parasites die too.
45% of americans work the rest wait to be fed.
EPA is against any more americans going to work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies