Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 09:54 AM

68,333 posts, read 54,445,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.XXX View Post

BTW...I guess you don't have worry about energy costs when you live in your mother's basement..
I'm sure you are expert in that field and have no need to guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2013, 09:54 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,548,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
If you know of one I'd be interested in seeing a link to data that actually breaks down the costs of both the plant and power production and how much it's changed by EPA standards. I don't think coal is going away anytime soon but seeing the recent pictures of air in China, I don't see trying to clean it up as a bad thing. Reminded me of driving thru the pre-emission controls LA Basin, not very pleasant at all.
Burdell, I couldn't do it justice. There's a poster here (coalman I think is his screen name) who is in the industry and knows all about it. The comment in my post came from reading his posts about the new regulations and their effects on the industry.

Coal-Fired Power Plant Enforcement Initiative | Compliance and Enforcement | US EPA

There's currently no accessible technology to bring coal fired plants in line with the new EPA limits on greenhouse gases. Gas fired plants can meet them, but not coal fired plants. This new plant would probably fall under the new EPA mandates if the EPA won even though the permit was issued in Jan 2011.
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/28/sc...ants.html?_r=0

Old 01-28-2013, 09:55 AM

1,167 posts, read 1,123,586 times
Quote:
I'm not surprised you post yet another inane non-sequitur.
truth always hurts...huh...

Old 01-28-2013, 09:57 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,077,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
More people probably die from choking on food, or walking down stairs.
We shouldn't abate deaths in one area because... well, death occurs in others. Well that's a brilliant argument that I wish I had come up with.

...Yes Sheldon, that's sarcasm.

Old 01-28-2013, 09:58 AM

Quote:
truth always hurts...huh...
Well, I have no aches or pains when I read your blather so I guess you're correct!

Old 01-28-2013, 09:59 AM

3,091 posts, read 3,969,964 times
To quote another listmate, oh those painful facts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
A tad bit biased since this group works with governments to fight global warming and are big backers of the new EPA guidelines.

And if you follow the dots..the connection goes back to Fenton Communications.
Fenton Communications is not the poster child for liberal social issues..they design and distribute those posters.

Old 01-28-2013, 10:07 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,687,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
We shouldn't abate deaths in one area because... well, death occurs in others. Well that's a brilliant argument that I wish I had come up with.

...Yes Sheldon, that's sarcasm.
Liberals use that idiotic argument to justify destroying coal power.

Nothing in this world is ever 100% safe, you are living in a Utopian fantasy land if you think that is possible.

Old 01-28-2013, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Burdell, I couldn't do it justice. There's a poster here (coalman I think is his screen name) who is in the industry and knows all about it. The comment in my post came from reading his posts about the new regulations and their effects on the industry.

Coal-Fired Power Plant Enforcement Initiative | Compliance and Enforcement | US EPA

There's currently no accessible technology to bring coal fired plants in line with the new EPA limits on greenhouse gases. Gas fired plants can meet them, but not coal fired plants. This new plant would probably fall under the new EPA mandates if the EPA won even though the permit was issued in Jan 2011.
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/28/sc...ants.html?_r=0

I don't know, haven't read enough about it.

I've spent more time in the auto biz and well remember all the griping about EPA standards and how they couldn't be met and at the time there really wasn't any great technology available. But today you'd have a hard time convincing me that today's cars aren't more fuel efficient, cleaner, and longer lived than those of 30-40 years ago, due largely to emissions standards, and that they aren't a better value for the consumer. Given the industry used to seem more concerned about making neater looking tail-fins than making any serious engineering improvements, I doubt we'd have gotten to where we are as quckly without standards being imposed.

Makes me prone to asking whether the power companies can't do it or just don't want to.

Old 01-28-2013, 10:15 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,300,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawg82 View Post
Texas does have an incredible jump in wage brackets across the board. They have recently surpassed NY as the 2nd most populace state so the need for all the lower earning jobs (the Walmart and fast food type of jobs) are going to reflect that. But the I-35 stretch from DFW to San Antonio has become a major IT corredor in the US a major player in International business. It really is growing across all the pay brackets, but the lower ones will always be the greatest in growth as long as the population continues to grow due to the very nature of those jobs.
Isn't a lot of that from DoD and defense contractors?

Old 01-28-2013, 10:17 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,962,372 times
Quote:
The left wing won't be happy until we have only windmills...

Attachment 106743
That darn Texas Marxist, T. Boone Pickens, who wants windmill farms!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies