Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 08:14 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,694,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
That's ok. Texas is a job creating utopia, right? There are 3900 brand new jobs waiting on those folks as soon as they leave work today.
Whatever snarky liberal response it takes to protect Barack "The Wrecking Ball" Obama, eh.

This same scenario is being repeated all over the country. Good, hard working people losing their jobs, and the lib'tards could care less, because it's all about partisan politics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2013, 08:14 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,265,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawg82 View Post
It may not be doing what they were doing, but - yes, they will jobs waiting for them (if they willing and hired). It is a myth that only minimum wage jobs are being created in Texas. They consistently rank in the top 3 states for higher income growth.
Only a few years ago, i saw some evidence that the only state that lead Texas in minimum wage job creation was Mississippi.

That said, sure they may not be all minimum wage jobs, but how much MORE than minimum wage are they paying? .10 cents? 1 dollar?

Even in the oilfields, they really aren't making that much money. To take home those big paydays, you've gotta work a ton of hours. I checked into that a few years back, and i was astounded at how many hours you have to work to take home what i'd consider to be "good money."

Old 01-28-2013, 08:16 AM

13,703 posts, read 9,036,333 times
Interesting. Here is a link to an article about some of the other reasons the company is withdrawing:

Las Brisas Power Plant Is Gone With the Wind | David Doniger's Blog | Switchboard, from NRDC

From the local newspaper:

EDITORIAL: To blame EPA for Las Brisas' failure ignores the market » Corpus Christi Caller-Times

From the latter link:

"Speaking of industrial expansion, the local outlook has changed considerably since 2008. The game-changers include a major Chinese specialty steel pipe plant at Gregory and two Italian-owned plastics plants pending along the ship channel. Investment-wise, those plants plus two retooled, reopened gas-fueled power plants offset Las Brisas' $3 billion. And they represent hundreds of permanent jobs. The generously best-case permanent employment outlook for Las Brisas was maybe 100 jobs."

The 'truth' is probably somewhere in the middle, as is often the case. It does appear a lot of the local people were against the proposed plant, citing dangers from mercury, etc., which apparently is created by the burning of petroleum coke. I find persuasive the articles noting that the cheap natural gas boom is a factor.

Old 01-28-2013, 08:16 AM

25,858 posts, read 16,569,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Whatever snarky liberal response it takes to protect Barack "The Wrecking Ball" Obama, eh.

This same scenario is being repeated all over the country. Good, hard working people losing their jobs, and the lib'tards could care less, because it's all about partisan politics.
There's a good chance there were a significant amount of union workers in those 3900 so there's a bright side for the right wingers.

Old 01-28-2013, 08:17 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,694,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
This is the problem, wind power, or solar are not “reliable base load power.” Obama's EPA is destroying baseload power, with nothing to replace it with.

Old 01-28-2013, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post

Please. The jobs hadn't even existed yet. Go have some breakfast or something.

Old 01-28-2013, 08:18 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,490,771 times
If a power plant is killing people,it needs to be killed.

Old 01-28-2013, 08:19 AM

4,301 posts, read 4,416,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Only a few years ago, i saw some evidence that the only state that lead Texas in minimum wage job creation was Mississippi.

That said, sure they may not be all minimum wage jobs, but how much MORE than minimum wage are they paying? .10 cents? 1 dollar?

Even in the oilfields, they really aren't making that much money. To take home those big paydays, you've gotta work a ton of hours. I checked into that a few years back, and i was astounded at how many hours you have to work to take home what i'd consider to be "good money."
Texas does have an incredible jump in wage brackets across the board. They have recently surpassed NY as the 2nd most populace state so the need for all the lower earning jobs (the Walmart and fast food type of jobs) are going to reflect that. But the I-35 stretch from DFW to San Antonio has become a major IT corredor in the US a major player in International business. It really is growing across all the pay brackets, but the lower ones will always be the greatest in growth as long as the population continues to grow due to the very nature of those jobs.

Old 01-28-2013, 08:24 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,601,142 times
Take NRDC articles with a grain of salt.
They have connections to Greenpeace, Gore and are big on the climate change bandwagon and have a revolving door with the EPA and Environmental Working Group and all those connections lead back to Fenton Communications.

Old 01-28-2013, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawg82 View Post
Texas does have an incredible jump in wage brackets across the board. They have recently surpassed NY as the 2nd most populace state so the need for all the lower earning jobs (the Walmart and fast food type of jobs) are going to reflect that. But the I-35 stretch from DFW to San Antonio has become a major IT corredor in the US a major player in International business. It really is growing across all the pay brackets, but the lower ones will always be the greatest in growth as long as the population continues to grow due to the very nature of those jobs.
I don't doubt it. Still though, i'll look again in 10 years to see what all the hulaballoo was all about. If the wage growth is spread pretty well around the middle classes, then i'll give props. But please, accept my apology for my current skepticism.

I'm in Texas a lot these days (Dallas, Killeen, Permian Basin, and S.A. areas) going TDY for my current employer, and things look fine. But again, i'm not fully buying it. I wanna see what things look like after the oil boom goes bust or at least levels off (as they inevitably always do)....to me, that'll tell the real truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies