Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 09:13 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,195,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I understand your point but it's likely going to take blocking a major bill to get any sort of reform here.
Providing funds to get hospitals back up and running was not the bill the play chicken with. There's both democrats and republicans in those hospitals...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2013, 09:13 PM

22,216 posts, read 19,516,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
So you are upset about the nickels and dimes that went to other things. Do you even know the percentage of the bill that will be going directly to the aid of those effected by Sandy?

As for the VA, their hospital in NYC was severely damaged and there is need for massive repairs if not a better location.
Exactly, fact of the matter is the bill is not perfect, but there is no perfect bill, there never will be. The VAST MAJORITY of the bill is for badly needed aid. Not to mention storm aid has always been paid by emergency spending, hell we even paid for wars with emergency spending, yet all of a sudden we can't use emergency spending to pay for aid to one of the costliest hurricanes in the history of the country??

Old 01-28-2013, 09:15 PM

14,887 posts, read 10,060,493 times
The people of NJ were warned about the possibility of this happening for decades and millions of people ignored the warnings. There's no reason why the American people should be burdened with obnoxious pieces of pork in a spending bill which should only be aimed at helping people recover from a disaster.

If the idiots in NJ don't understand why some intelligent people voted against this wasteful bill they can just fix their flooded or destroyed homes on their own, move to higher ground or buy proper insurance morons.

Old 01-28-2013, 09:17 PM

14,887 posts, read 10,060,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Providing funds to get hospitals back up and running was not the bill the play chicken with. There's both democrats and republicans in those hospitals...
That's exactly why they stuff pork into bills like this, because they know most people won't have the balls to vote against them even though they should. This thread is a perfect example of why this crap always happens and the tax paying public always gets screwed. Create an emergency aid bill and vote on it, leave all the crap out. If you stuff it with pork it should get voted down until it's fixed.

Old 01-28-2013, 09:20 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,619,694 times
Quote:
So you are upset about the nickels and dimes that went to other things. Do you even know the percentage of the bill that will be going directly to the aid of those effected by Sandy?

As for the VA, their hospital in NYC was severely damaged and there is need for massive repairs if not a better location.
There is money for repairs. This is additional money for planning and design of another hospital.

Nickel and dime ? It's in the tens of billions my friend.
How much is actually going to NY, NJ and CT for direct disaster relief ?
Do know ?

That bill is a pork fest and that "tax the rich" money is gone before they can even collect it.

Old 01-28-2013, 09:21 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,251,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
The people of NJ were warned about the possibility of this happening for decades and millions of people ignored the warnings. There's no reason why the American people should be burdened with obnoxious pieces of pork in a spending bill which should only be aimed at helping people recover from a disaster.

If the idiots in NJ don't understand why some intelligent people voted against this wasteful bill they can just fix their flooded or destroyed homes on their own, move to higher ground or buy proper insurance morons.
Does your area generate over $1 trillion in revenue? Is your state a funder of moocher states? It is very important for the country to make sure its financial powerhouse is up and running.

Should people be building on the coast lines to better handle hurricanes? Yes, I totally agree with that, but the area also had an outdated flood map, are you honestly going to waste money on flood insurance if you don't live in a flood zone? A lot of people that lost homes due to floods didn't live in an identified flood zone.

I think our concern right now should be helping our fellow Americans rather than bitching and whining about money being spent in a time of need for these people. And believe me, when your area is hit with a natural disaster, we will be there to help you out and provide your area with the needed funding even though you are acting ungrateful about helping out fellow Americans now.

Old 01-28-2013, 09:22 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,619,694 times
Quote:
Guessing you think no bill should ever be passed because I doubt there is ever a single bill that is passed without having these add-ons. It is apart of politics and I will bet Texas has some money coming their way on this bill too.
Go read the damn bill. Texas is not getting any money.
I did read the bill, not the cherry picked news articles.

I even posted a link to the PDF.

The good times of rolling in the dough for pork can't go on forever.
And the Dems just think it's "nickels and dimes".

Old 01-28-2013, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
There is money for repairs. This is additional money for planning and design of another hospital.

Nickel and dime ? It's in the tens of billions my friend.
How much is actually going to NY, NJ and CT for direct disaster relief ?
Do know ?

That bill is a pork fest and that "tax the rich" money is gone before they can even collect it.
So you have no idea how much money is going to the people affected by Sandy, gotcha. You continue moaning and groaning about the nickels and dimes and be sure to have your hand out when your area gets hit with a natural disaster. I am sure you will be crying for the government to come help when the day comes, much like it has already happened in the past.

Old 01-28-2013, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Go read the damn bill. Texas is not getting any money.
I did read the bill, not the cherry picked news articles.

I even posted a link to the PDF.

The good times of rolling in the dough for pork can't go on forever.
And the Dems just think it's "nickels and dimes".
You read the whole bill yet you don't know how much money is going to the Sandy damaged areas? Maybe you should read the bill again and crack out your calculator to help you figure out the numbers.

Old 01-28-2013, 09:27 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,195,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
That's exactly why they stuff pork into bills like this, because they know most people won't have the balls to vote against them even though they should. This thread is a perfect example of why this crap always happens and the tax paying public always gets screwed. Create an emergency aid bill and vote on it, leave all the crap out. If you stuff it with pork it should get voted down until it's fixed.
If there's no pork in it, it won't get bipartisan support. That's how stupid Washington is right now. It's hard to argue that aid shouldn't go to the northeast (esp NJ,NY,CT).... I mean it's the northeast. If it were possible to push through without all the pork in a timely manner, I'm certain it would have been done. The reality is that with the bozos in Washington, it would not have been possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies