Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2013, 02:46 PM

2,918 posts, read 5,608,002 times

Advertisements

nice posts KS, thanks.

find this thread amusing thus far. i thought americans were supposed to be individualists? apparently some on here believe people shouldn't strive to succeed or innovate, because "society" will pick up the slack. lets completely deny the achievements of the individual, it's all thanks to "society".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2013, 02:53 PM

2,468 posts, read 1,918,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KS_Referee View Post
And you wouldn't have to because no government program created that smartphone. You might try to argue that without government interference there would never be cell service, phone service or electric service in the country (rural areas), but as a person who works in one of those industries I know there is a lot of money to be made by building that infrastructure and providing those services for a fee. That fee might cost a lot more at first, in order to help offset the costs of investment, but that is ALWAYS the case in a free market capitalism system. That bag phone, even as outdated and antiquated as you think it is, was once the BEST technology had to offer, and you can bet it wasn't cheap. So why should the technology, investment and infrastructure be provided to people cheap if it costs the company a lot of money?

I can get a cheap Chinese red display led watch for under $5. But in 1972 Pulsar had one pretty similar to that watch for $2,100.00 My brother had a $200 dollar version in 1978. Innovation and technology costs. It can produce great results, but it costs drastically up front.

You seem to be advocating to disperse those costs to society. Um... would that be that redistribution of wealth thing again?
Thats the point - we have a civil structure and a stable government which allows people to focus on innovation, work and contributing to society. We could have an ideal libertarian environment such as in Somalia where government really does get out of the way and most of the populace is focused on surviving and providing for the most basic of needs by themselves instead of being able to divert their skills to true innovation.

Old 02-03-2013, 02:57 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,075,809 times
Quote:
Yours and others' displayed ignorance is utterly amazing!
I love it when idiots preface their posts with assertions like that. I live for irony.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KS_Referee
How did Americans survive when they didn't have all your societal government redistribution of wealth scheme programs? How did a single medicine ever get invented without the FDA?
Although it is not an exclusive causal relationship (although the contribution is huge) not all that well. The FDA was essentially founded in 1906 when Teddy Roosevelt signed into law the Wiley Act. In 1906 the life expectancy at birth for American men was 46.9 years. For women it was 50.8. By 2010 (after roughly a century of the FDA) men had increased that life expectancy 63% for men and 6-% for women to 76.4 and 81.4 years respectively.

And most of that derives from governmental programs to reduce the impact of childhood diseases via vaccines along with public health programs specifically around water and sewage infrastructure.

All of these programs would have been impossible without government participation.

Old 02-03-2013, 02:58 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,075,809 times
Quote:
And YOU can KMA, f'er.
Kicking your ass would be no particular achievement, I suspect.

Old 02-03-2013, 02:58 PM

1,389 posts, read 1,312,791 times
If u legalize drugs, that would end most crime over time.

Old 02-03-2013, 03:03 PM

1,264 posts, read 1,552,348 times
Sounds economically dystopian If you ask me.

Old 02-03-2013, 03:06 PM

1,389 posts, read 1,312,791 times
Slavery is easy, freedom is hard. Some folks liked to be bossed around.

Old 02-03-2013, 03:14 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,461,212 times
Quote:
The thing I find most disheartening is the original OP, RebelYell14 posted a link to an article written by Jacob G. Hornberger. Of the 10 ways he supported as libertarian, Nobel Laureate, Milton Friedman and Claude Frédéric Bastiat would have agreed 100% on all of them. The principles are rooted in an understanding of how to get the best productivity and beneficial results for ALL people based on true human nature.

Almost all dissent to these views seems to come from those who hold free market capitalism in contempt. Maybe those of you who completely oppose these ideas would benefit from watching Milton Friedman's Free To Choose series. Here is a link to that series: Common Sense Capitalism: Free to Choose

Or maybe you want to better understand Frédéric Bastiat. If so, here is a link to his highly acclaimed (in economist's circles) The Bastiat Collection. http://library.mises.org/books/Frede...Collection.pdf
So you too want completely open borders. Interesting.

Old 02-03-2013, 03:20 PM

2,918 posts, read 5,608,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
So you too want completely open borders. Interesting.
i want completely open borders, but im not libertarian.

Old 02-03-2013, 03:23 PM

2,072 posts, read 1,755,977 times
Does anyone who says ending the income tax would destroy us not realize we have only had the income tax for 100 years yet this nation has been around for almost 250?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies