Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2013, 06:56 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times

Advertisements

I wanted to add that, even as a Jewish person myself, I think neo-Nazis should be treated equally too. While my job is a bit different, since I actually do work for a PUBLIC institution (library), I would treat them as any other customer regardless. Business is business, and should have little do with personal beliefs - unless they're asking you to partake in said beliefs, but I don't think the lesbians were asking this owner to be gay.

FWIW, I have served neo-Nazis at the library without any complaints. They received the same service I give every patron, and I never passed judgment (at least not to their faces). Fair is fair, and what they believe has no bearing on whether they should be served. They were polite, I was polite and helpful in return... simple as that. I still find their views to be despicable, but that is neither here nor there when it comes to doing my job.

P.S. I can pretty much guarantee this shop owner has made cakes for "sinners" in the past, whether they were an unfaithful partner, divorced, non-virginal, disrespectful to their parents, not a Christian, etc. So why is he only drawing the line at THIS couple? Selective self-righteousness, I suppose.

Last edited by gizmo980; 02-04-2013 at 07:06 PM..

Old 02-04-2013, 07:11 PM

554 posts, read 608,795 times
I wonder how Ms Cake-Maker would feel if she needed heart surgery, and discovered (on the morning of surgery) that her nurse (or scrub tech, or surgeon) was gay ? Would she go through with the surgery ?

How about if the best available heart surgeon in her area was gay, and somehow found out that Ms. C-M hated gays ? "Sorry, I can't operate on you, madam." Would Ms. C-M file a lawsuit alleging discrimination ?

The world would be so much better without religious lunatics.

Old 02-04-2013, 07:14 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,256,164 times
A couple of the comments on Yelp:

Quote:
Because the Owners are homophobic and refuse to make wedding cakes for gay couples, perhaps the owner should have a sign on their window and website with these warnings based on biblical scriptures: Shellfish will not be used as decorations because it is an abomination (Lev. 11:12) - nor will women menstruating be served because they are UN-clean (Lev. 15:19-30), and married non virgins will be immediately put to death on entering their establishment (Deut. 22:21).
Quote:
Really Pika, stopping giving CHRISTIANS a bad name. Not all CHRISTIANS feel the way you do and not all christians treat the Bible like a buffet where they can pick and choose what should be following. Look at some of the ridiculous prohibitions in the Old Testament that people do not follow. Tattoos? I think Leviticus says "No," but it looks like the baker's got one.

Besides, Jesus never said a word about homosexuality. I would never frequent an establishment that refuses to serve people because of who they are.
Sweet Cakes by Melissa - Gresham, OR

Old 02-04-2013, 07:17 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,568,283 times
Do any of you remember that episode of The Jeffersons where George saved the life of the racist man?

I wonder what would happen if a gay man saved the baker with CPR.

Would he say, "He should have let me die." like the guy on The Jeffersons?

Old 02-04-2013, 07:22 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sibelian View Post
I wonder how Ms Cake-Maker would feel if she needed heart surgery, and discovered (on the morning of surgery) that her nurse (or scrub tech, or surgeon) was gay ? Would she go through with the surgery ?

How about if the best available heart surgeon in her area was gay, and somehow found out that Ms. C-M hated gays ? "Sorry, I can't operate on you, madam." Would Ms. C-M file a lawsuit alleging discrimination ?

The world would be so much better without religious lunatics.
Amen to that.

And for all those who say "I would just take my business elsewhere," I would bet money they'd cry discrimination too if it happened to them! One of these days I'd like to conduct an experiment, maybe by refusing to serve Christians at a business... then let's see if they just go "okay, I support your right to make that decision" and walk out the door without a complaint. Somehow I'm guessing they would not, and we'd be reading a thread about the "war on Christians" within an hour. I mean, they even claim discrimination when a Walmart clerk wishes them a Happy Holidays - LOL.

Old 02-04-2013, 07:32 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,139,020 times
At our place of business we have a big sign that reads.... "We have the right to refuse service to anyone".

We don't need a reason.

20yrsinBranson

Old 02-04-2013, 07:35 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,103,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
At our place of business we have a big sign that reads.... "We have the right to refuse service to anyone".

We don't need a reason.

20yrsinBranson
Just because you put up a sign doesn't make it legal. Try not to serve someone because he's black or Jewish or in a wheelchair and see how far that goes.

Old 02-04-2013, 07:37 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I wanted to add that, even as a Jewish person myself, I think neo-Nazis should be treated equally too. While my job is a bit different, since I actually do work for a PUBLIC institution (library), I would treat them as any other customer regardless. Business is business, and should have little do with personal beliefs - unless they're asking you to partake in said beliefs, but I don't think the lesbians were asking this owner to be gay.

FWIW, I have served neo-Nazis at the library without any complaints. They received the same service I give every patron, and I never passed judgment (at least not to their faces). Fair is fair, and what they believe has no bearing on whether they should be served. They were polite, I was polite and helpful in return... simple as that. I still find their views to be despicable, but that is neither here nor there when it comes to doing my job.

P.S. I can pretty much guarantee this shop owner has made cakes for "sinners" in the past, whether they were an unfaithful partner, divorced, non-virginal, disrespectful to their parents, not a Christian, etc. So why is he only drawing the line at THIS couple? Selective self-righteousness, I suppose.

Forcing someone to do something they don't want to do, only breeds resentment. It does no good. it does more harm than good.

Choice is a thing all mankind has until men take the choices away.

The gay community has choices. The baker has choices.
No one forced the gays, yet they wish to force the Baker......

Funny how individual freedom works, when there is no individual freedom to choose.

Old 02-04-2013, 07:40 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,003,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.XXX View Post
Does the baker feel the same way about making wedding cakes for those who have divorced and are serial hetro marriage partners? Those kind of people always make judgment on those that are easily discriminated against in this society.

Old 02-04-2013, 08:17 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,163,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
Yes, I did have to bring it up. WE have freedom of and from religion in this country.
According to the Bill of Rights we have freedom of religion, it does not say anything about freedom from religion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies