Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 10:10 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,477,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Yale prof confirms what all should have known: Bush did not lie about WMD.
I feel better already. At this point all I can do is shrug.

[shrug]

Old 02-05-2013, 11:44 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
I've had a slight change of heart on Iraq. If Bush and his henchmen thought that the invasion was necessary to keep America safe, then I can live with that. At the end of the day though, I believe that only Bush had good intentions. I can't say the same for the group comprising Cheney on down to the rest of the neocon cabal.

Old 02-05-2013, 11:58 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
I admit that I did not read all the replies. To me the problem was not whether or not the WMD statements were lies. These same claims were made for years by politicians of both parties before Bush made them.

The problem for me is taking a decade of war to address what was addressed in a very short time. Saddam was disposed of quickly. We still wasted trillions of dollars, got many of our kids killed and for what?

Old 02-06-2013, 12:03 AM

1,730 posts, read 1,362,551 times
When Syria collapses, you'll find Iraq's WMD's.
Ask Clinton or Kofi, they know.

Old 02-06-2013, 12:05 AM

89,029 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I've had a slight change of heart on Iraq. If Bush and his henchmen thought that the invasion was necessary to keep America safe, then I can live with that. At the end of the day though, I believe that only Bush had good intentions. I can't say the same for the group comprising Cheney on down to the rest of the neocon cabal.
You seem to be forgetting that Clinton signed the Iraq Liberation Act in 1998 and Clinton Admin and UNSCOM intel was used to decide the invasion was necessary. It had nothing to do with Cheney or any imaginary neocon cabal.

Biden himself confirmed this in 2007:
Quote:
MR. RUSSERT: I want to go back to 2002, because it’s important as to what people were saying then and what the American people were hearing. Here’s Joe Biden about Saddam Hussein: “He’s a long term threat and a short term threat to our national security.”

“We have no choice but to eliminate the threat. This is a guy who is an extreme danger to the world.”

“He must be dislodged from his weapons or dislodged from power.” You were emphatic about that.

SEN. BIDEN: That’s right, and I was correct about that. He must be, in fact—and remember the weapons we were talking about. I also said on your show, that’s part of what I said, but not all of what I meant. What I also said on your show at the time was that I did not think he had weaponized his material, but he did have. When, when the inspectors left after Saddam kicked them out, there was a cataloguing at the United Nations saying he had X tons of, X amount of, and they listed the various materials he had. The big issue, remember, on this show we talked about, was whether he had weaponized them. Remember you asked me about those flights that were taking place in southern Iraq, where—were they spraying anthrax? And, you know, what would happen? And, you know, so on and so forth. And I pointed out to you that they had not developed that capacity at all. But he did have these stockpiles everywhere.

MR. RUSSERT: Where are they?

SEN. BIDEN: Well, the point is, it turned out they didn’t, but everyone in the world thought he had them. The weapons inspectors said he had them. He catalogued—they catalogued them. *This was not some, some Cheney, you know, pipe dream. This was, in fact, catalogued.*
MTP Transcript for April 29, 2007 - Meet the Press | NBC News

Old 02-06-2013, 01:14 AM

1,596 posts, read 1,159,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
Clinton invaded Iraq? Way to deflect.
Clinton laid the groundwork.

His speech comprised the elements supplied him by Intel to be bogeyed later as Al Quaida.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCqmI1SQB5o

Old 02-06-2013, 01:32 AM

3,406 posts, read 3,450,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
We almost never agree till now. This is the most honest post of yours in awhile. Thank you for looking at this without partisan glasses on. Bush took alot of heat, but along with his dad, reagan and even clinton wanted what was best for the USA. I am not so sure about our current commander in chief. It is why alot hate Obama, and has nothing to do with his left leaning views or the color of his skin. Heck i didnt like clinton but at least i thought he cared about all americans not just libs. I could live with that. Bushes mistake was filling his cabnet with the old hawks instead of going young and fresh. There was a agenda that was different than bushes compassionate conservatism that he cared about.

Old 02-06-2013, 04:58 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,763,548 times
I always believed he had them as he used them on his own people in the past.

Old 02-06-2013, 05:12 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,242,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
George W. Bush did not knowingly lie about WMDs in Iraq | Other voices - The News Tribune

A good op-ed by a Yale prof who also does a column for Bloomberg News. He confirms what any reasonably intelligent person not suffering from a derangement syndrome should already know: there were no "lies about WMD" from the Bush admin. He cites a book by Brit journalist Gordon Corera for his evidence:

As I have posted before, even Saddam's own senior officers believed it. It was all a consequence of Saddam's 'deterrence by doubt' strategy which was mainly intended to cow the Iranians. Saddam confirmed this in interrogations after being captured.

I believe that the "Bush lied, thousands died" meme will be remembered by historians as one of the biggest idiocies of US politics ever. Maybe even more worrisome that the meme itself was the fact that it was so widely embraced by so many Americans. There is doubtlessl a large percentage of the population, maybe even a majority, who still believe it. If a large number of people in a democratically-run nation can be persuaded of a stupid and easily disproven proposition, that nation is in trouble.
Ok. op-ed = opinion.
But, it is known that Saddam killed Kurds with chemical weapons.
Quote:
The Halabja poison gas attack (Kurdish: کیمیابارانی ھەڵەبجە Kîmyabarana Helebce), also known as Halabja massacre or Bloody Friday, was a genocidal massacre against the Kurdish people that took place on March 16, 1988, during the closing days of the Iran–Iraq War, when chemical weapons were used by the Iraqi government forces in the Kurdish town of Halabja in Southern Kurdistan.

The attack killed between 3,200 and 5,000 people, and injured around 7,000 to 10,000 more, most of them civilians; thousands more died of complications, diseases, and birth defects in the years after the attack. The incident, which has been officially defined as an act of genocide against the Kurdish people in Iraq, was and still remains the largest chemical weapons attack directed against a civilian-populated area in history.

Old 02-06-2013, 05:24 AM

1,229 posts, read 1,147,877 times
They knew he did not have them or at minimum they knew that it was very unlikely but it was a lie of convenience. A way to keep Saddam from doing the thing they really did not want done that is to take the oil of Iraq off the dollar and on the euro. It was a war of oil nothing more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies