Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2013, 12:58 PM

89,029 posts, read 44,853,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
It's called living in a society.... If you'd rather have an even larger and greater underclass..... then fine.
I don't wish that, which is why I'm against incentivizing a 3 times higher birth rate for the welfare-dependent, and illegal immigration and any amnesty proposed for such. As I've already stated...

How "moral" or "kind" is a country that incentivizes the highest rate of birth among its poor? What kind of future are all those children born into poverty going to have? Right off the bat there are overwhelming odds AGAINST them. Why would any country do that to its own children? Why is incentivizing an increasingly larger poverty class Democrat/liberal policy? Welfare programs make it easy and profitable for irresponsible people to bear child after child with NO thought whatsoever to providing for that child, guiding that child to adulthood, and helping that child develop his/her potential so they can be contributing members of society.

Globalization and global wage arbitrage (thank Clinton for NAFTA, and Obama for the Pacific Rim version of NAFTA), onerous U.S. regulations, and corporate taxes that are so high that they put corporations operating in the U.S. at a competitive DISadvantage in the global arena, so jobs and wages have both suffered stagnancy and/or decline.

Additionally, wage stagnancy for no/low-skilled workers, has been a direct result of allowing millions of no/low-skilled illegal immigrants to flood the country and compete for those jobs. Illegal immigration further harms the country when those without documentation are paid cash under the table which means that neither they nor their employer pays any state or federal income tax or payroll tax on that cash salary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2013, 12:59 PM

Quote:
They aren't facts just because you say so.
Exactly, which is why I link sources.

Old 02-08-2013, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Probably not. I think it's reasonable to assume that if you are paying $15K in taxes that you will receive more services than someone paying $700.
Why is it reasonable to assume that? Is there any verifiable proof that someone who pays 21.4 times more in taxes (using your example: $15K/$700) gets 21.4 times more police or military protection?

Old 02-08-2013, 01:20 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,735,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Probably not. I think it's reasonable to assume that if you are paying $15K in taxes that you will receive more services than someone paying $700. Notice that I didn't say the rich receive a disproportionate amount of service, they may or may not, but I don't have any studies to indicate they are.
I agree with you. Not only does someone who is rich have more to lose, but has also received and receives greater benefits from simply being here, than someone who is not doing well.

The rich get monstrously more benefits from living in this country and from the government because they use more of the services government provides, and due to the government providing for them more benefits allowing them to remain rich, or become richer. These include services and benefits that the poor and middle class will seldom or likely never use because they don't deal in such expensive properties, goods, benefits, etc. For ex., additional law enforcement to protect their greater ownership of property and goods, additional air traffic controllers for their private airplanes, taxpayer-funded research, corporate welfare to the tune of $100 billion, zoning rules, property rights, copyright and patent laws, contract laws, government agencies which benefit primarily the rich, special deductions, special exemptions, credits, exclusions, the SEC and the SBA, anti-trust laws which allow them to limit the number of any certain professional who may practice (keeping the wages high), almost $300 billion in tax subsidies. They get social benefits which translate to financial benefits, such as cronyism, the greater taxpayer cost of seeking politician and government time to mass-lobby and move their money and economy via the use of government to tool this, repairs of what the rich do wrong (one example - oil spills by Exxon), reliance for business on public fiber-optics, public artificial intelligence, and the use of such things as are public, which they make money from or use as their vehicle (for ex., Microsoft and Google), and millions more examples of how the rich get greater benefit from living here, than someone poor or middle class. The addition of all this would total up to an incalculable benefit. It would be astronomical. Oh, and let's not forget the added cost of tracking down the crooks among the rich.

I think of it as the rich and their corporations using the U.S. as a lowly paid *****. Of course, then whining when a poor man working man gets a measly food stamp coupon.

And then the apologists of the rich pretend the rich are getting nothing more than a regular middle class dude out in Kansas.

Old 02-08-2013, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
I agree with you. Not only does someone who is rich have more to lose, but has also received and receives greater benefits from simply being here, than someone who is not doing well.
Prove it. Quantify those supposedly greater benefits. Enumerate them and cite actual proof that the government benefits and services they receive are commensurate with the federal income taxes they pay, which are multiple times higher than their income differential.

Old 02-08-2013, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Prove it. Quantify those supposedly greater benefits. Enumerate them and cite actual proof that the government benefits and services they receive are commensurate with the federal income taxes they pay, which are multiple times higher than their income differential.
The rich get monstrously more benefits from living in this country and from the government because they use more of the services government provides, and due to the government providing for them more benefits allowing them to remain rich, or become richer. These include services and benefits that the poor and middle class will seldom or likely never use because they don't deal in such expensive properties, goods, benefits, etc. For ex., additional law enforcement to protect their greater ownership of property and goods, additional air traffic controllers for their private airplanes, taxpayer-funded research, corporate welfare to the tune of $100 billion, zoning rules, property rights, copyright and patent laws, contract laws, government agencies which benefit primarily the rich, special deductions, special exemptions, credits, exclusions, the SEC and the SBA, anti-trust laws which allow them to limit the number of any certain professional who may practice (keeping the wages high), almost $300 billion in tax subsidies. They get social benefits which translate to financial benefits, such as cronyism, the greater taxpayer cost of seeking politician and government time to mass-lobby and move their money and economy via the use of government to tool this, repairs of what the rich do wrong (one example - oil spills by Exxon), reliance for business on public fiber-optics, public artificial intelligence, and the use of such things as are public, which they make money from or use as their vehicle (for ex., Microsoft and Google), and millions more examples of how the rich get greater benefit from living here, than someone poor or middle class. The addition of all this would total up to an incalculable benefit. It would be astronomical. Oh, and let's not forget the added cost of tracking down the crooks among the rich.

And pal, I'm not here to research this for you. You have fingers, don't you? Or better yet, hire someone to type your google searches for you.

Old 02-08-2013, 01:56 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,121,492 times
Quote:
Exactly, which is why I link sources.
That's rich! First you cherry pick what you'll answer, ignoring the other points I made. That's your MO.

So are you suggesting that merely posting evidence that has linked sources makes them facts?

Old 02-08-2013, 01:58 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,264,758 times
Quote:
Why is it reasonable to assume that? Is there any verifiable proof that someone who pays 21.4 times more in taxes (using your example: $15K/$700) gets 21.4 times more police or military protection?
Police distribution hasn't been studied that much, so I'm not sure how to prove it to you. I don't even know if response times are publicly available. You don't think that that the police in poor neighborhoods receive the same equipment, personal, and resources that the rich do, do you? I know that where I grew up had more resources than Detroit, hell, where I grew up had more resources than the outlying areas. This is even evident in Chicago. There is a ton of police presence in the loop and Northshore, but go to south-side neighborhoods and it is a completely different story.

Here is Detroit. Now, compare Detroit to cities that are buying SUV's for their police.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpNSrW6PAeI

Old 02-08-2013, 02:04 PM

Quote:
That's rich! First you cherry pick what you'll answer, ignoring the other points I made. That's your MO.

So are you suggesting that merely posting evidence that has linked sources makes them facts?
Expect that to be his MO.

Old 02-08-2013, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
The rich get monstrously more benefits from living in this country and from the government because they use more of the services government provides, and due to the government providing for them more benefits allowing them to remain rich, or become richer. These include services and benefits...
All bogus opinion. No verifiable facts. Once again, prove your statements. Quantify those supposedly greater benefits. Enumerate them and cite actual proof that the government benefits and services they receive are commensurate with the federal income taxes they pay, which are multiple times higher than their income differential.
Quote:
And pal, I'm not here to research this for you.
Translation: there is no verifiable proof whatsoever of what you're saying. It's all just your ill-informed opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies