Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 08:06 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
" it would require a constitutional amendment.."

IMO, I don't think so.
Your own postings says, "To establish Post Offices and Post Roads;"

It says NOTHING about HOW they are to operate. The Post Offices have been established for a long time.

They open and close Post Office buildings all the time.
So, you think Congress should give/sell the offices to private companies, and then force them to operate them in rural areas where they are quaranteed to not make a profit? Does that make sense?

Delivering mail was never profitable, yet it was important enough for the founders to make sure it is delivered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2013, 08:09 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,285,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Pederman View Post
And, from what I read somewhere along the way, heavily influenced by UPS & possibly FedEx lobbyists. Be a nice tit for tat if they were required to prefund their pensions for employees who haven't even been born yet, wouldn't it? Yes, I know, they are like most American companies and don't do pensions; they do 401(k).

Old 02-06-2013, 08:09 AM

59,088 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneftp View Post
My real problem with the USPS closing on Saturdays is the 6-7 federal holidays that occur on Mondays of each year.

So you are basically screwed if you miss a package (those packages that are left at the post office for you to pickup).

Has the USPS clarified what happens to missed deliveries that require signatures? If I miss it on Friday, I come to the post office on Saturday to pick it up.

But since the USPS closes on these Mondays. That means you won't get the package till Tuesday at the earliest.

So when the USPS says they will still delivery packages on Saturday. Will they redeliver missed Friday packages on Saturdays?
My real problem is people who post without reading any info beforehand.

The USPS will STILL deliver packages on Saturday, "The plan to shrink delivery from six days a week to five would only affect first-class mail, while packages, mail-order medicines, priority and express mail would still get delivered on Saturdays". .

Even if they didn't, if that package is so important, pay a little extra for and you can have it on Friday.

Old 02-06-2013, 08:14 AM

88 posts, read 94,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
My real problem is people who post without reading any info beforehand.

The USPS will STILL deliver packages on Saturday

Even if they didn't, if that package is so important, pay a little extra for and you can have it on Friday.
Furthermore, if your local Post Office is one that has Saturday hours at the building, you could still pick up that missed delivery from Friday. The office itself will still be open on Saturday.

Also, ALL mail will still be delivered to PO Boxes on Saturday which should keep most large companies happy.

Old 02-06-2013, 08:22 AM

88 posts, read 94,075 times
Imagine for a minute that you run a large company with a lot of employees. You provide a service that is critical to those in your town. You're responsible for the budget and making sure you bring in enough profit to survive. Sounds like a pretty typical business, don't you think?

BUT, here's the catch. You're not allowed to make big decisions which could have a major impact on your business. No, you depend on 535 people who have nothing to do with your business and almost no knowledge of how your business works, to make those decisions for you. You have no recourse against them.

That's what it's like to run the USPS.

They were profitible, even with the sharp decline in first class mail, right up until the new law regarding pensions was passed in 2006. They went from being profitible, safely in the black to billions of dollars in debt overnight. They are fully funding retirements for employees who haven't even been born yet.

Please tell me how that's not ridiculous? Please point to another private company who operates that way, and be specific citing verifiable data?

Last, to those crying about privitization...please tell me how much the USPS takes from the taxpayer each year?

Old 02-06-2013, 08:30 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I think we should just privatize the entire system, and enact laws so that ups and fedex can't charge excessive rates for mail delivery.
LOL... the excessive rates UPS or Fedex charge for first class mail are mandated by the government to insure the USPS's monopoly on it.

If the post office is going to start cutting services it's time for the monopoly to go.

Old 02-06-2013, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
USPS' big thing over UPS and FedEx is that they have to serve everybody. People out in the sticks can still get mail.
That's not necessarily a bad thing, when you're in the delivery business the way you make money is by having an area saturated with customers. Because of the monopoly on first class mail the USPS has 100% saturation.

Old 02-06-2013, 08:38 AM

1,579 posts, read 2,342,152 times
I just hope the Republicans don't turn this into a corruptible situation where there's still the USPS but its contracted out.

Id much prefer they just stop providing the service.

Old 02-06-2013, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
The problem the post office has is that Congress requires them to WAY over fund their pension program,.
Is it over funded? The post office has about 500K employers and their business is in slow decline and will continue to decline. Their bread and butter is first class mail because of the mnadate and that is no longer going to sustain them. We have pensions across this country with huge financial issues, sounds like responsibility to me.

Old 02-06-2013, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
FedEx and UPS routinely use/pay the USPS to make deliveries in rural areas. The private sector cannot compete.
The USPS doesn't need a monopoly on first class mail then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies