Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 08:29 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,787,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn
Oh, I see.

You are fine with government deciding for us, what trips are important and which aren't.

And, I suppose, if we disagree with government that the trip we want to make IS important, then we must first go to government in supplication and beg for them to grant us permission to make the trip after all.

As I said, in a word, THAT is why government thinks it has this power.
How many blizzards does San Diego get?

Believe me, there are dummies out there who think getting to the store because they ran out of butter is of PRIME IMPORTANCE.

In any case, there have been days of warnings. People have had plenty of time to get whatever they think they need for the day or maybe two days they cannot travel by car.

I've lived through many blizzards, so I know what to do and I also know there are all manner of dummies out there who do nothing but get into trouble sliding into a drift and wasting the time of people who are trying to clear the roads. Some people even die. Butter just isn't that important IMO.

Your third paragraph lets me know that you know absolutely nothing about a state of emergency. You have no credibility. You are spouting hyperbole by the gallon. You are not affected by this blizzard or any other. What is your silly point?
I see. You're assuming I've lived in San Diego all my life, and nowhere else, is that it?

(Did somebody mention "no credibility"?)

Back to the subject:
So, you expect us to let some third party who isn't here with us, decide for us that the trip we need to make is "not important"? Somebody who decides, without knowing anything about what's going on in our house, that the trip we want to make is just "for butter"?

No wonder Obama won. If people with your level of wisdom and understanding are as common as he seems to think, he's got a lock on the next five elections.

Can everyone else see what we're dealing with here? If people like this mouthy ignoramous are the ones who think they should be making these decisions for us, I can think of no better advertisement for the reasons liberalism is a terrible way to govern.

I'll make the decisions on whether I think I need to go out in blizzards like this, thanks anyway.

And if I think I need your "opinion" on the matter... at that point I'll need to get my head examined.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2013, 08:43 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,207,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
Alert: Road travel banned in Massachusetts after 4pm

I don't like the precedent. To ban all Motor Vehicle traffic statewide is ridiculous and I don't think the government has any right to do so, especially for something relatively minor such as a snow storm.
Two foot of snow isn't minor, and I live in Nebraska where we get that mixed with 40 mile an hour winds and -30 temps at the same time. The road crews can't keep up with clearing roads with that much snow, and if you have any wind at all it's going to drift and they'll become impassable. If you're out on the road and you go in the ditch, someone has to come and try to help you. There's no guarantee that emergency vehicles would be able to get to you or even FIND you in a major blizzard. That causes a drain on emergency response services, and it puts them in danger too, because it's dangerous for ANYONE to be out in that kind of weather. Did you ever stop to think that if they're trying to help you because you were stupid enough to go out in a major blizzard, then they CAN'T HELP the person having a heart attack or having a baby? Have some freaking common sense and stay home. That's what the rest of us who live in blizzard country do, because we know it's IDIOTIC to be out.

Stupid city people...

Last edited by mb1547; 02-08-2013 at 09:03 PM..

Old 02-08-2013, 08:46 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,596,615 times
The state government has a general police power to ensure the safety of its citizens and allow for quick emergency response. Clearing the road reduces the number of accidents, frees up emergency crews and allows road maintenance trucks to work uninterrupted. I don't see a big problem with this. They closed the roads during Sandy, it isn't anything new.

Old 02-08-2013, 08:48 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,060,237 times
Why do threads like this have that same feel as an adolescent temper tantrum?

Old 02-08-2013, 08:55 PM

2,325 posts, read 2,653,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
We do have a nation of ill informed people.
I recall a few years ago hearing stories on the radio of some flood rescues happening in Pa.
One woman interviewed who was rescued didn't know about the storm, had nothing at home for the kids to eat and was just on her way to McDonald's to get them some lunch. (she went around barricades and car stalled out in flooded road and had to be rescued by LE).

There's a lot more idiots walking the streets than we assume.
Sadly we do need local governments to shut down the roads if only to protect those workers that have to be out there during a storm.
Some years ago during flash floods in Southern California a woman drove around a police barricade into a flooded area. Her car ended up in high water and her young child drowned as a result. I believe she was prosecuted.

Old 02-08-2013, 08:59 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,909,798 times
To OP: Since forever. The roads are public property so if you want to use them you have to comply with the rules and regulations such as buying a yearly car license (what we call registering your car), having the driver himself licensed (getting a driver's license), making sure the vehicle meets all applicable standards (is in good working order, passed smog, that the safety equipment is working, etc...), and they get to enforce the law wrt driving laws. They also routinely close roads for safety reasons if the roads are flooded, if a bridge is out, if the pass is snowed in, or any of dozens of other reasons.

Don't like? Then stay off the public roads.

Old 02-08-2013, 09:01 PM

15,534 posts, read 10,507,413 times
Quote:
Alert: Road travel banned in Massachusetts after 4pm

I don't like the precedent. To ban all Motor Vehicle traffic statewide is ridiculous and I don't think the government has any right to do so, especially for something relatively minor such as a snow storm.
They close huge portions of highways the size of Massachusetts out west all the time. It's no big deal.

Old 02-08-2013, 09:02 PM

45,232 posts, read 26,457,645 times
Well after all these "there was this person once" stories, I am now for shutting down all the roadways, maybe curfew w/ martial law might be good too?
Can never be too safe lol

Old 02-08-2013, 09:34 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,193,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
They close huge portions of highways the size of Massachusetts out west all the time. It's no big deal.
Well there are gates on highways out west that allow them to close off any section of highway if a snow storm is too dangerous to be on the road. Thankfully when I lived in the Northwest I never had to deal with a highway being closed, though there were times where it was bad enough for a highway to be closed.

Old 02-08-2013, 10:04 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,372,524 times
Quote:
Hurricane is much different imo. Maybe I have been oblivious, but I have never heard of this. Particular highways, and particular cities shutting down the roads, yes I have heard of that. But an entire state banning travel on the roads completely is not something I have ever heard before.

I think people should be able to make up their own minds. Some things are actually important enough to need to drive, yet not something to call 911 over.
A storm dropping 3 feet of snow is not something minor, very few people would be competent to drive in it and most of those who are wouldn't be foolish enough to try it for less than life or death - and in that case the police aren't going to cite them for driving in it anyway.

As for being shut down in "the entire state", well it's a little state, many counties (not countries) west of the Mississippi are bigger than Massachusetts. Shutting down all the roads in one county for a major blizzard doesn't seem like such a big deal. There are bigger things to get outraged about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KS_Referee View Post
I question the statewide part of the ban. But as a loyal 5 time Subaru owner, I think they should ban all non-Subaru vehicles from driving on the roads during this snowstorm, including government and emergency vehicles that are not equipped with snow removal equipment.

Subaru... What you need when the road to Grandma's house is covered with lots of snow.
That's funny. Out here Subaru drivers are absolutely the least competent drivers on the road, they should use Subaru dealerships as honeypots to lure in people who should be banned from driving for life.

Seattle Subaru driver in just a couple inches of snow:

Car Crashing Queen Anne Ave First Snow Nov 2010 - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies