Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2013, 12:54 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,207,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
That's not the point of this thread. The OP was contending that the state doesn't have the right to close roads, for safety reasons (and I presume for any other reason,) but that is preposterous.
I understand that, and I think it makes perfect sense that they closed all the roads in MA. As I said, they don't do that here, but we're more used to those types of conditions. When you have a big chunk of the population that has never experienced a storm like that, you don't want them out on the roads. I think it's true for any primarily urban state. We're very rural, and people are used to having to pay attention to the weather--it's a bigger factor in our daily lives. In the city, not so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2013, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KS_Referee View Post
Yes, I suppose they need to protect those hyper-educated folks in Boston from their, "But I read it in a book once!" mentality. LOL!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
It's those same hyper-educated folks that we put into the whitehouse.
Have you ever seen idiots trying to drive after a couple of inches of snow or an ice storm in the south? It's not just Boston and it doesn't have a whole lot to do with education. I have a masters and my husband is an attorney. It has to do with an entire state dealing with a very unfamiliar situation, so they don't know the common sense thing to do. Common sense is based in learning from experience. If you don't have the experience, you don't know.

Old 02-09-2013, 01:00 PM

3,617 posts, read 1,822,566 times
Actually, I think it's high time we get back to demanding some personal responsibility and accountability from people. Stop mandating that people not do stupid things. Just require them to face the consequences of their stupidity. No matter how much government intervenes, attempting to protect people from their own stupidity, we cannot completely protect people from it. This is because people are constantly inventing newer and more efficient ways to be stupid.

Old 02-09-2013, 01:01 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,150,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
Have you ever seen idiots trying to drive after a couple of inches of snow or an ice storm in the south? It's not just Boston and it doesn't have a whole lot to do with education. I have a masters and my husband is an attorney. It has to do with an entire state dealing with a very unfamiliar situation, so they don't know the common sense thing to do. Common sense is based in learning from experience. If you don't have the experience, you don't know.
What's your point? The same thing that I've been saying this entire thread? I'm not going to give you a pat on the back for regurgitating information back to me.... if that's what you're looking for.

Old 02-09-2013, 01:05 PM

3,617 posts, read 1,822,566 times
Quote:
Again, I was being silly. I understand that some people just aren't experienced in things. I threw the jab at Mass because they consider us here in the midwest to be back-woods, inbred, ignorant folks. In 1981, when I moved away from the east coast I had folks tell me to say hi to Dorothy and Toto. WTF? Many thought we didn't have paved roads or cable tv. Many thought we may not even have electricity.

It was just me returning a dig at the east coast.

Old 02-09-2013, 01:06 PM

Quote:
What's your point? The same thing that I've been saying this entire thread? I'm not going to give you a pat on the back for regurgitating information back to me.... if that's what you're looking for.
I read ONE of your posts--don't flatter yourself--and if you're going to join in on the all too boring band wagon that educated "elites" (god forbid that anyone actually has an advanced degree) have no common sense, then don't be surprised when you get a push back.

Old 02-09-2013, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KS_Referee View Post
Again, I was being silly. I understand that some people just aren't experienced in things. I threw the jab at Mass because they consider us here in the midwest to be back-woods, inbred, ignorant folks. In 1981, when I moved away from the east coast I had folks tell me to say hi to Dorothy and Toto. WTF? Many thought we didn't have paved roads or cable tv. Many thought we may not even have electricity.

It was just me returning a dig at the east coast.
Got it It's hard to tell on CD, because we so often get nuts who rant along those lines and mean it... And you're right--people out east don't have a very good concept of the rest of the country. I've had them ask me if Nebraska is a state.

Old 02-09-2013, 01:08 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,568,805 times
Why should rescue personnel risk their lives on hicks who choose to be defiant?

Old 02-09-2013, 01:11 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,150,886 times
Quote:
I read ONE of your posts--don't flatter yourself--and if you're going join in on the all too boring band wagon that educated elites (god forbid that anyone actually has an advanced degree) have no common sense, then don't be surprised when you get a push back.
You can't be serious. I'm from Jersey. I am an educated elite.

I was making a sarcastic comment in response to what I assumed was a joke post to begin with. You're taking this conversation way too seriously.

Old 02-09-2013, 01:15 PM

Quote:
You can't be serious. I'm from Jersey. I am an educated elite.

I was making a sarcastic comment in response to what I assumed was a joke post to begin with. You're taking this conversation way too seriously.
You never know when people are joking on CD, because we have so many nuts who say those things and mean it. If it was intended as a joke, there was no reason to give such a nasty response back to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies