Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2013, 07:11 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,074,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
I'm just wondering where they're going to put the snow when they try to plow it off the roads.
After '93 and '96 in my area in the cities they had to load it into triaxles and dump it elsewhere. Most of towns with just houses have tree lawns, most have a no parking even side of the street and then odd side of street the next day. They just plow it up onto the tree lawn as best they can. It got to be dangerous becsue if you were in car you couldn't see down the street ar an intersection, walls of snow everywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2013, 07:47 PM

256 posts, read 617,349 times
All roads were closed in Connecticut too.

Old 02-09-2013, 08:02 PM

415 posts, read 616,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Since when can the government ban the use of cars on the roads?

We should be asking this about many things the government is doing nowadays. Sadly, most of us do not. And THAT, in a nutshell, is why they can do it.

Actually, while this would be an outrage if the Fed govt did it, there is nothing in the U.S. Constitution that says states can't do it - which means, the states and localities CAN do it.

Whether they SHOULD, is a different question.

Massachusetts citizens, are you going to let your government take this kind of power over you?
Funny logic coming from someone who lives in an area where inclement weather is really bad fog with a possible chance of hail and where below freezing temps haven't been heard of at least since Elvis was still alive.

Have you ever seen what blowing snow looks like in Northern Nevada or Utah (let alone the northeast)? In places where it snows, there are times when the roads close. Its not an issue. Why? Because the roads can truly be so bad that they are really really unsafe to drive on.

Its not the government's job to bail out stupid people who persist in driving in three feet of snow. It really isn't. I'd rather they closed the road than hear stories about how stupid people, cops, firemen, etc died slow painful deaths freezing in the really nasty cold weather because a stupid person had to drive on the bad road...and the police/fire department was sent after them and they died too.

Old 02-09-2013, 08:10 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,462,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponypenny View Post
All roads were closed in Connecticut too.
When wind and snow get that bad in Alaska, they do not have to tell us to take the day off or close the roads. We look outside and say, "Screw that! It is time to take a 'snow day'."

There are some days when it is simply not worth taking the risk.

Old 02-09-2013, 08:24 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,208,953 times
Oh my gosh--how long does it take to do the snow blower into trucks thing? It could take a month to just move through all the city streets! How would you do something like that in a city with super narrow streets like Boston?

Old 02-09-2013, 08:30 PM

2,072 posts, read 1,757,106 times
Its turning into a police state not only were they banned but if caught on the roads you were subject to fines or jail time!Its amazing people aren't allowed to drive their vehicles which they own or pay for on roads they pay for with their taxes the state steals from them.People are literally slaves to the state. It takes what you make and then tells you what you can and can't do with things you own and pay for.

Old 02-09-2013, 08:36 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,462,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
Oh my gosh--how long does it take to do the snow blower into trucks thing? It could take a month to just move through all the city streets! How would you do something like that in a city with super narrow streets like Boston?
It takes about 72 hours to clear the streets of Anchorage after a big storm. Any longer and we tend to get surly.

Old 02-09-2013, 08:46 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,580,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelYell14 View Post
Its turning into a police state not only were they banned but if caught on the roads you were subject to fines or jail time!Its amazing people aren't allowed to drive their vehicles which they own or pay for on roads they pay for with their taxes the state steals from them.People are literally slaves to the state. It takes what you make and then tells you what you can and can't do with things you own and pay for.
The shame of this order, banning drivers from the road way , during the major storm is that people just didn't have the smarts to do it on their own . If you have never driven a snow plow , trying to keep the road ways open with all of those fools that don't know how to drive in the snow or who don't have a properly maintained/ equiped vehicle for that type of hazardous travel only to get stuck and block the road for even emergency workers klike my self in the past.

Old 02-09-2013, 08:51 PM

2,072 posts, read 1,757,106 times
I understand that.People should have been smart enough to get off the road. I was driving in WV in December my truck broke down on the side of the road and they were scraping the road...nothing I could do...stuff happens but to throw them in jail or threaten them with fines for roads they pay for is tyrannical.

Old 02-09-2013, 10:31 PM

3,617 posts, read 1,822,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter 1 View Post
The shame of this order, banning drivers from the road way , during the major storm is that people just didn't have the smarts to do it on their own . If you have never driven a snow plow , trying to keep the road ways open with all of those fools that don't know how to drive in the snow or who don't have a properly maintained/ equiped vehicle for that type of hazardous travel only to get stuck and block the road for even emergency workers klike my self in the past.

I have cleared interstates and state highways for KDOT. The policy there was go around them, do NOT assist them in ANY way. It is not that difficult to go around most stranded vehicles. A little inconvenient? Not really. It just seems you don't like the fact that you feel someone did something to you, which you are taking personally and for no good reason. At KDOT, people who held those kinds of grudges were usually moved to dispatch positions during snow emergencies. It seemed to suit them better.

I've had to use the 'force' (Star Wars) upon occasion while clearing a road because I really couldn't see past the hood or past the end of the grader. Still, I never hit a vehicle and I never ran completely off the road. Furthermore, we had KDOT snowplows get stuck in the snow in western Kansas even without a stranded vehicle for miles. It happens. That is why we also had BIG motor graders with VERY BIG plows.

Personally I LOVE the snow. I love the challenge. I love the concept of me and my (well maintained) machine vs whatever mother nature decides to throw in my direction, and I don't expect to lose. I plan for the worst, but will be damned if I'm gonna end up a victim to some snow. So... let it snow baby! Bring it on!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies