Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2013, 01:56 AM

9,659 posts, read 10,230,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KS_Referee View Post
Tell me something Glitch, do you sit there, like a useless bump on a log, waiting for your government to come rescue you every time you get some heavy snow or some ice or a blizzard of clueless idiot reporters looking for the next scoop on Sarah? My guess is the answer is no. My guess is you and most people around you aren't dependent upon the government to fix all of life's boo-boos.

I bet a lot of those people on the east coast won't even go out & clear the snow on their sidewalks. They'll sit there, waiting for the government to "Hep" them. Do you remember that gal sitting on the roof after Katrina yelling, "Hep me... HEP me!!!"

I think it is sad that people have listened to politicians telling them how the government can FIX the problems they face in their lives. They have become so accustomed to hearing it, they actually believe it, then when it comes later than expected, they somehow think the government has failed them.
Well I will tell you one thing, the clean up of high way roads is probably best handled by people with professional equipment. For things like that, it's best if there is minimum interference so that the roads can be cleared quickly and efficiently.

Also, if you are stuck in heavy snow and there is a blizzard going on and visibility is minimum, it's best to stay inside your car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2013, 02:01 AM

3,617 posts, read 1,822,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
Also, if you are stuck in heavy snow and there is a blizzard going on and visibility is minimum, it's best to stay inside your car.
Thank you for the sound advice. I'm sure no one would have come up with that idea.

Do you work for the government?

Old 02-10-2013, 02:06 AM

9,659 posts, read 10,230,482 times
Quote:
Thank you for the sound advice. I'm sure no one would have come up with that idea.

Do you work for the government?
Winter has claimed many lives due to people being stupid and ignorant . With that said, it's entirely possible for drivers to get stuck in snow needing roadside assistance, government or not.

Old 02-10-2013, 02:18 AM

15,534 posts, read 10,507,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
It takes about 72 hours to clear the streets of Anchorage after a big storm. Any longer and we tend to get surly.
I've seen them take 72 hours at our place in Colorado too. Then after they do come by you get the thrill of digging out. You can easily end up with six+ feet at the end of your driveway.

Old 02-10-2013, 08:52 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,290,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basic Problem View Post
Well I did hear on the news that one state was going to punish violators with up to 1 year jail/prison time for being out on the roads. This puts them in the felon class of law breakers since any crime with a jail sentence with 1 year or more is a felon. So what better way to disarm a population than to classify them as felons so they can no longer possess guns?

At this stage in the game I wouldn't put anything past these gun-grabbing tyrants.
Oh for ford's sake.

Old 02-10-2013, 09:32 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,458,697 times
Quote:
Tell me something Glitch, do you sit there, like a useless bump on a log, waiting for your government to come rescue you every time you get some heavy snow or some ice or a blizzard of clueless idiot reporters looking for the next scoop on Sarah? My guess is the answer is no. My guess is you and most people around you aren't dependent upon the government to fix all of life's boo-boos.

I bet a lot of those people on the east coast won't even go out & clear the snow on their sidewalks. They'll sit there, waiting for the government to "Hep" them. Do you remember that gal sitting on the roof after Katrina yelling, "Hep me... HEP me!!!"

I think it is sad that people have listened to politicians telling them how the government can FIX the problems they face in their lives. They have become so accustomed to hearing it, they actually believe it, then when it comes later than expected, they somehow think the government has failed them.
You have to keep in mind that the northeastern States are a bunch of government-addicted wimps who could not put their own pants on correctly without government instruction. They love their fascist State because it means one never has to come to the aid of their neighbor. That is what taxes are for, right?

Thankfully we do things differently west of the Mississippi River. I could not handle their environment any more than they can handle mine.

Old 02-10-2013, 09:43 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,458,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
Well I will tell you one thing, the clean up of high way roads is probably best handled by people with professional equipment. For things like that, it's best if there is minimum interference so that the roads can be cleared quickly and efficiently.

I we waited around for "people with professional equipment" people would starve to death.

I use a snowblower to clear my driveway, but it is still a long way from the end of my driveway to the highway. My neighbor has a plow on his truck, and can usually cut a path to the highway. Otherwise, I have to wait until the snowmobiles pack the snow down enough so I can use my 4x4 to make it to the highway. That usually does not take more than a day or two. I live in the boonies, so a road-grader may take up to 10 days before showing up, if it shows up at all.

Your last sentence is very good advice, I wish people listened. There was a family of four who broke down on their way to Glennallen. They were maybe 10 miles from the town of Sutton. Instead of staying in their vehicle and waiting for help, they decided to walk back to Sutton. The children did not make it more than three miles, and the parents never made it more than five miles.

Always stay in the vehicle during the winter, it is the best protection against the elements. Help will arrive eventually.

Old 02-10-2013, 09:44 AM

15,534 posts, read 10,507,413 times
Well it seems they lifted the ban. But from the looks of things, I hope those folks have chains. Wowza, they got dumped on.

Old 02-10-2013, 09:47 AM

5,261 posts, read 4,157,597 times
Since when can someone tell me to do something I don't want to do? And are we to McDonald's yet???

Old 02-10-2013, 09:48 AM

5,261 posts, read 4,157,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
Well it seems they lifted the ban. But from the looks of things, I hope those folks have chains. Wowza, they got dumped on.
Who do you think the first people are that we should chain? I'll offer my list later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies