Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2013, 01:28 PM

3,617 posts, read 1,822,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Does the entire state of Alaska even HAVE $140 billion in infrastructure?
How much of America's economy was impacted by that storm?
How many people live in the area of that storm?

If your governor didn't ask for aid, then none will be forthcoming.
Besides, people in the rest of the country do not receive oil royalty checks every year.

Am I understanding correctly, that due to the lack of economic impact Alaska has on the rest of the US...

Never mind. I find your post and the message it conveyed distasteful and downright shameful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2013, 01:58 PM

2,256 posts, read 2,131,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
My rights ARE impacted when they can't clear the roads quickly enough because you and your spoiled breatheran have your cars stuck all over the streets and, because the roads can't be cleared quickly enough, I can't get an ambulance to take me to the hospital when I have a heart attack or I can't get a fire truck when my house catches fire.....or when I can't get to work for 3 days because it took that long to get all the idiot cars towed away so the roads can get cleared.
You don't have a right to clear roads or emergency care.

I don't recall reading those rights in the Constitution.

Hyperbole much?

Try again maybe???

Old 02-10-2013, 01:59 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,651,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KS_Referee View Post
Am I understanding correctly, that due to the lack of economic impact Alaska has on the rest of the US...

Never mind. I find your post and the message it conveyed distasteful and downright shameful.
But money is what conservatives are all about, I thought.
That's why they doggedly try to protect the JOB CREATORS, right? Protect them even unto their own detriment, they just don't see it.

Economic impact...not people...the conservative way.

I don't really know if you, personally, are one of these posters who worship the dollar and say that the poor or infirm should just find a way to get along without the 'nanny' state; who think that it is a poor person's fault that they are poor, ad nauseum.

But there is certainly no lack of them here on C-D.

And, yes, I was pleasantly surprised with your somewhat backhanded compliment of the people of the northeast. I avoided this thread until I couldn't take the continuous put-down of the people in this part of the country.

If you want to read 'shameful' go back and read posts by Aeroguy, KUchief, Roysoldboy, and their ilk. And let's not forget RebelYell.

My posting that you found distasteful was also distasteful for me to write. Forcing my mind to think like a conservative was extremely distasteful and I don't want to do that again.

Old 02-10-2013, 02:02 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,230,482 times
Nobody has a right to clear roads indeed.

But clear roads are a necessity for economic activity. In my opi

Old 02-10-2013, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymouseX View Post
You don't have a right to clear roads or emergency care.

I don't recall reading those rights in the Constitution.

Hyperbole much?

Try again maybe???
Really? Even though we pay for many of these things through our taxes?

Old 02-10-2013, 02:08 PM

Nobody has a right to clear roads indeed.

But clear roads are a necessity for economic activity. In my opinion, the government is justified to close roads for non emergency vehicles. If you violate said road closure and interfere with their clean up, you should be prosecuted by the entire state and pay heavy fines for interfering with the restoration of normal life.

With that said, roads should open once they are clear and safe for travel.

Old 02-10-2013, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Really? Even though we pay for many of these things through our taxes?
Yup.

Your taxes pay for the police and ems but the Supreme Court already ruled the police have no duty to protect you.

DC vs Warren.

Firefighters have no legal duty to save you. In fact, only hospitals are required to stabilize you.

All these rights you invoke are not rights at all. Notice how FEMA and Louisiana did not have to pay or get in trouble for not responding properly during Katrina?

I can't believe people are so unaware of how our country works...

Old 02-10-2013, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymouseX View Post
Yup.

Your taxes pay for the police and ems but the Supreme Court already ruled the police have no duty to protect you.

DC vs Warren.

Firefighters have no legal duty to save you. In fact, only hospitals are required to stabilize you.

All these rights you invoke are not rights at all. Notice how FEMA and Louisiana did not have to pay or get in trouble for not responding properly during Katrina?

I can't believe people are so unaware of how our country works...
The plows clearing roads in my township are being driven by either township or state employees. Taxes pay their salaries. They damn well better clear the roads!

Old 02-10-2013, 02:17 PM

My question is, should people be sued for interfering with the restoration of economic activity?

Old 02-10-2013, 02:23 PM

Quote:
The plows clearing roads in my township are being driven by either township or state employees. Taxes pay their salaries. They damn well better clear the roads!
Lol... And what will you do if they don't? Or if they take excessively long?

You have no real recourse...

Of course, in practice they usually work as fast as possible and I doubt anyone can find one person arrested or fined for being out in snow or on a closed road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies