Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2013, 04:04 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,947,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
They don't get stuck in anything less that 18 " of snow. They are far better than any other all wheel drive.
It's not the vehical its the driver. I drove a Toyota FJ 40. I was great on rock, sand, mud...but the first time I tried to drive in less than an inch of snow I was all over the place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2013, 04:10 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,154,196 times
Quote:
Do you have a reading comprehension problem? I have gone off the road in my suby to get around stuck 4X4s.
No but apparently you do. You keep comparing an AWD to a 4WD. Of course the AWD is going to outperform the 4WD. The fact that you think that is a reasonable comparison shows how little you know. Compare your Subaru to a Lancer Evo and I bet you'll be singing a different tune.

The fact that you're supporting the previous poster in saying that a Subaru can handle just fine in "this storm" where Mass is expecting 24-36" of snow is absurd. You should get a clue. You're Subaru won't make it in this storm any better than a Honda Civic.

Old 02-09-2013, 04:24 AM

65 posts, read 73,672 times
Quote:
Do you have a reading comprehension problem? I have gone off the road in my suby to get around stuck 4X4s.
You're the second person to say that a Subaru can outperform a 4x4. You need to read the thread you're posting in so you don't look like a fool. NJBest already pointed out that by saying an AWD can outmaneuver a 4x4, you're not saying much. You have to compare apples to apples.

And if you think you can get by with your Subaru in this 30" snow storm, be ready to be surprised.

Old 02-09-2013, 04:59 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,507,138 times
It's not going to be an even 24 inches or so across the entire state. Some areas will get less, and then the wind is making some roads bare as well. A properly equipped vehicle can handle the snow in several areas. Which is why this statewide ban is absurd (but then I expect the absurd from MA).

Old 02-09-2013, 05:09 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,245,092 times
One would think that any snow higher than one's front bumper, well, you'd be plowing snow with it, and probably get stuck with a snow packed front grille and radiator.

Old 02-09-2013, 05:16 AM

1,251 posts, read 2,578,250 times
Nanny state mentality. We are too stupid to realize that driving in a snowstorm is not a wise decison So Nanny says we cant.

Old 02-09-2013, 08:34 AM

19,653 posts, read 12,239,759 times
Mass - one year in jail plus a $500 fine for driving car. NH gets hit just as hard in some areas and no driving ban.

Old 02-09-2013, 08:50 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,541,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchuckie View Post
Nanny state mentality. We are too stupid to realize that driving in a snowstorm is not a wise decison So Nanny says we cant.
Well, YOU may not be too stupid to realize that driving in several feet of snow is unwise - but surely you understand that plenty of people will try it anyway IF they don't make some kind of public service announcement. Those stupid people then put the emergency service personel in danger because they have to go and rescue them.

Personally, I never minded these 'snow emergencies' - good excuse to 'work from home' and to stay home and catch up on some housework, television watching or much needed rest.

I have a 4WD SUV but ~ why chance it if you don't have to?

Old 02-09-2013, 08:52 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,554,711 times
Lightbulb Since when can the government ban the use of cars on the roads?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
Alert: Road travel banned in Massachusetts after 4pm

I don't like the precedent. To ban all Motor Vehicle traffic statewide is ridiculous and I don't think the government has any right to do so, especially for something relatively minor such as a snow storm.

Friendly suggestion...

Why don't you go out, get in your vehicle and see if you can drive around today?

Old 02-09-2013, 08:54 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,060,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
Alert: Road travel banned in Massachusetts after 4pm

I don't like the precedent. To ban all Motor Vehicle traffic statewide is ridiculous and I don't think the government has any right to do so, especially for something relatively minor such as a snow storm.
They can.

It's a safety issue during a large storm.

I fully agree with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies