Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2013, 12:31 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,828,756 times

Advertisements

NJ did the same in 1995 during that particular storm of the century. It was a solid call on the state's part.

Chicago failed to do so in 2010. About a thousand cars were abandoned on LSD during the February storm in 2010. Otherwise unnecessary rescue operations were necessary to remove thousands of people from cars stuck in the snow all over the city. The otherwise unnecessary need to tow cars seriously delayed the massive snow removal operation to get the city moving again.

It's unlikely that Chicago will allow for a repeat situation during the next big one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2013, 12:31 PM

3,617 posts, read 1,825,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
No but apparently you do. You keep comparing an AWD to a 4WD. Of course the AWD is going to outperform the 4WD. The fact that you think that is a reasonable comparison shows how little you know. Compare your Subaru to a Lancer Evo and I bet you'll be singing a different tune.

The fact that you're supporting the previous poster in saying that a Subaru can handle just fine in "this storm" where Mass is expecting 24-36" of snow is absurd. You should get a clue. You're Subaru won't make it in this storm any better than a Honda Civic.

Actually, I already stated that it would be insane to even try to negotiate this storm even in a Subaru. I said I was intentionally silly. But now that you have said it at least twice... I gotta correct you on something because all AWD systems are NOT the same. As a matter of fact... EVO my tail. The only thing remotely close to an EVO with the Subaru name on it is the WRX STI, and personally, I'd rather have a tried & true Forester, Outback or Legacy with winter tires, and maybe even chains.

I've personally pulled too many people who thought they were invincible with, in their minds the BEST 4wd or AWD, out of the mud, snow and ice. In some cases I've literally driven circles around those folks just to rub the name Subaru in their noses. I've had people swear there was no way I could get close enough, much less pull them out, but in every case where I tried, I pulled them to sissified better driving conditions.

NOTHING, no regular highway vehicle with 4wd or AWD compares to a Subaru with the right shoes. Tiny car... tiny engine... unmatchable AWD.

When the going gets too tough for a 4wd or AWD sissy car or truck... better hope a Subaru comes along to save the day.

But that's just MY opinion... and sorry, I didn't mean to hijack the thread.

Old 02-09-2013, 12:36 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,219,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
That does seem rather odd. They only close roads in Alaska in the event of an avalanche or an earthquake that makes the road impassable. Even then only that segment of road is closed until it can be made safe for travel. Closing down the entire state to motorized traffic seems extreme. What about snowmobiles? They do not need roads.

Upon further reflection, Massachusetts is a rather small State. At only 8,262 square miles, only New Jersey, Hawaii, Connecticut, Delaware and Rhode Island are smaller. The weather in one part of the State is going to be similar to the weather in any other part of the State.

Still, shutting down all road traffic is too extreme.
Is it because Alaska is so heavily forested and there's not a lot of drifting?

MA is only 190 miles long and 50 miles wide. They shut down huge stretches of interstate 80 between Grand Island NE and the Colorado/Wyoming border all the time out here. They're getting very heavy snow and high winds out east. When we have weather like that, it can mean 20 foot snow drifts in spots. The only thing that can break through those drifts is a huge snow plow. If you're stuck with your car because you were dumb enough to try to drive, you might well be underneath one of those drifts, because your car blocks the wind and the snow piles up around it. That's not safe for you or for the road crews--they can't see you under the snow, so they are very likely to hit you while they're trying to clear the roads. It makes perfect sense to keep people home, especially since people in MA aren't used to those types of road conditions.

Old 02-09-2013, 12:38 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,976,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
Alert: Road travel banned in Massachusetts after 4pm

I don't like the precedent. To ban all Motor Vehicle traffic statewide is ridiculous and I don't think the government has any right to do so, especially for something relatively minor such as a snow storm.
A Governor has inherent police powers in order to protect the public safety. This is nothing new. It's just that the wacky modern right-wing views any reasonable action by any level of government as an affront to their imaginary right to be irresponsible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Rossi View Post
I'll be he is a Democrat.
Yea, because a Republican wouldn't close roads with 40 inches of snow on them during a blizzard in respect for the freedom to drive and create a hazard for other people, including first responders who would have to risk their lives to save you.

Old 02-09-2013, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
Is it because Alaska is so heavily forested and there's not a lot of drifting?

MA is only 190 miles long and 50 miles wide. They shut down huge stretches of interstate 80 between Grand Island NE and the Colorado/Wyoming border all the time out here. They're getting very heavy snow and high winds out east. When we have weather like that, it can mean 20 foot snow drifts in spots. The only thing that can break through those drifts is a huge snow plow. If you're stuck with your car because you were dumb enough to try to drive, you might well be underneath one of those drifts, because your car blocks the wind and the snow piles up around it. That's not safe for you or for the road crews--they can't see you under the snow, so they are very likely to hit you while they're trying to clear the roads. It makes perfect sense to keep people home, especially since people in MA aren't used to those types of road conditions.
But they don't shut down vehicle travel in the towns in those areas. Just the interstates and some of the state highways.

Old 02-09-2013, 12:41 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,828,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post

I ended up driving, and for several miles I was doing so with the door open so I could stare down onto the roadway for the yellow line - it's the only way I knew we were still on the road.
The South Bend area of Indiana is highly prone to " lake effect" snow. They don't always close the roads. I once did about 5 miles alternating my head out of the window and drivig with the door open to speculate where the road was. That was the night I ended up in a motel, in Gary Indiana. Better there than flipped in a ditch.

Old 02-09-2013, 12:44 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,219,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KS_Referee View Post
But they don't shut down vehicle travel in the towns in those areas. Just the interstates and some of the state highways.
We live with weather like that. People grow up learning to drive in it, and knowing when they need to stay home. People just driving through on the interstate--not so much. It's more than even the drifting--no one can see to drive in a white out, but unless you've been through one you don't realize that...

Old 02-09-2013, 12:48 PM

Quote:
We live with weather like that. People grow up learning to drive in it, and knowing when they need to stay home. People just driving through on the interstate--not so much.
Yes, I suppose they need to protect those hyper-educated folks in Boston from their, "But I read it in a book once!" mentality. LOL!

Old 02-09-2013, 12:50 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,976,976 times
Quote:
We live with weather like that. People grow up learning to drive in it, and knowing when they need to stay home. People just driving through on the interstate--not so much. It's more than even the drifting--no one can see to drive in a white out, but unless you've been through one you don't realize that...
That's not the point of this thread. The OP was contending that the state doesn't have the right to close roads, for safety reasons (and I presume for any other reason,) but that is preposterous.

Old 02-09-2013, 12:50 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,189,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KS_Referee View Post
Yes, I suppose they need to protect those hyper-educated folks in Boston from their, "But I read it in a book once!" mentality. LOL!
It's those same hyper-educated folks that we put into the whitehouse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies