Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 02:24 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,233,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
I am just curious how all of these laws will be enforced..
Like all the others, they won't or selectively enforced to "make a point".

BATFE is so disfunctional, they should be disbanded and all duties assumed by the FBI.

I had a Title 3 FFL at one time. As such, compliance checks were the norm. All too frequently, my books were used to correct the books ATF had and then they would try and give me an infraction for a form not being signed. ATF needs to get its own house in order before they start enforcing any laws.

Old 02-10-2013, 02:29 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,357,057 times
As i understand it, anyone who commits a felony can not own a gun, I know a guy who was a convicted felon and they took his guns as soon as he was arrested and his home was searched. Even at that he still has guns he has bought from private parties.

Anyway I feel a background check when you purchase any gun is enough, not all circumstances can be covered.

Old 02-10-2013, 02:35 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,576,036 times
I fully support to establish a National Criminals and Legally Insane Registry.

This way a background check can be easily done by private parties. :-)

Old 02-10-2013, 03:22 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCityWanderer View Post
Quote:
Nope, because it's not my claim and it's not my point. The burden of proof is on the person making the claim, not the person listening to it. Any more then I need to do research to see if lizard people, faeries, or jedi are real every time some one makes a claim. If I did that with every claim I couldn't leave the house, which is okay for those who wouldn't anyways.

Thank you for providing the back up for your point that it's around 65%, though even your references state that it is often exaggerated to be much higher.
Most of the studies I posted show that percentage to be about 70 percent and up. Also, for future reference, you may want to hold off on saying things like, "Can you prove that, because I seriously doubt you're right" until you do a simple search yourself. I was quickly able to give you a long list of sources that verified what I was saying -and that was just the first page of the search!

Quote:
I have checks to see if I can drive a car in order to buy one, or that I have a good record to have a job...if felons shouldn't have guns in your opinion and you refuse to close this hole that lets people buy them anyways then the position makes no sense.
Yet another example of why it's difficult to have a logical conversation with you. I never did "refuse to close this hole" or ANY hole. I clearly stated in the OP that I am torn about what we need to do as a society when it comes to who has lawful access to guns, and how to safeguard both our people and our rights.

[quote]

Last edited by CaseyB; 02-11-2013 at 03:42 AM.. Reason: off topic

Old 02-10-2013, 03:27 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
As i understand it, anyone who commits a felony can not own a gun, I know a guy who was a convicted felon and they took his guns as soon as he was arrested and his home was searched. Even at that he still has guns he has bought from private parties.

Anyway I feel a background check when you purchase any gun is enough, not all circumstances can be covered.
They took his guns before he was tried and convicted? I thought we were innocent till proven guilty????

Anyway, I have NEVER known a felon whose guns were taken from him and his house searched. Of course, I don't know very many felons either.

I like to think that background checks upon purchase would work -but how is that even enforced with private sales? And what about when a person commits a crime with a gun that they don't own? How is that gun tracked through a variety of owners, private sales, gifts, etc?

I just have a lot of questions that I would like to see answered OBJECTIVELY before a bunch of new laws are passed.

Old 02-10-2013, 03:37 PM

2,023 posts, read 5,314,540 times
Parents buy their kids firearms all the time, heck I got several in my closet from when I was a kid. One of my little nieces already has a 22 rifle. This registration nonsense will not ever work.

Old 02-10-2013, 03:41 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,205,940 times
this thread almost sounds like another compromise thread. well, with NFA34, GCA68, GCA86, former AWB94 and thousands of federal and state gun control laws already on the law books, i dont think we should be compromising anymore. it is time for the politicians and everyone else who wants more gun control laws to compromise.

want another AWB? fine, get rid of NFA34, GCA68, GCA86, and allow anyone wanting to be in the unorganized or organized state militias to have any type of firearms available to cops and the military that they can personally afford.

Old 02-10-2013, 03:42 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,576,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
They took his guns before he was tried and convicted? I thought we were innocent till proven guilty????

Anyway, I have NEVER known a felon whose guns were taken from him and his house searched. Of course, I don't know very many felons either.

I like to think that background checks upon purchase would work -but how is that even enforced with private sales? And what about when a person commits a crime with a gun that they don't own? How is that gun tracked through a variety of owners, private sales, gifts, etc?

I just have a lot of questions that I would like to see answered OBJECTIVELY before a bunch of new laws are passed.

If you want to see whether or not registration would work, look at Canada.

Old 02-10-2013, 03:51 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,858,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
You need enough gun control to hit your target... Preferably in a tight grouping.....
this.

to answer the OPs question though, i have some experience with your situation. my late uncle, may he rest in peace, also was not allowed to own firearms due to mental illness. his family to my knowledge did not own firearms though, but if they had, they would have locked them up to keep them away from my uncle. but my uncle was one of those people who didnt favor firearms for self defense, or offense. his preferred weapon was a machette. he preferred it because it was a quiet weapon, and was quicker than a firearm.

in the end the best thing you can do is try your best to keep weapons away from your family who are not allowed to own firearms through the use of gun safes, trigger locks, etc. but recognize that if they want to get your firearms, they will find a way to get them, you cant stop them 100%.

Old 02-10-2013, 04:11 PM

3,204 posts, read 2,869,339 times
I also wonder what criteria would constitute mental illness.

I lost a daughter in a car accident a few years ago and was on Paxil for a few months. Would that be considered a problem?

Adam Lanza wasn't diagnosed with a mental illness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies