Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2013, 03:30 AM

621 posts, read 658,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashed Potatoes View Post
Well last night the dumbass called for raising the minimum wage to a "livable wage".

Where do these morons get the notion that minimum wage is meant to be a living wage? It is an ENTRY level wage, it's not something meant to support your family on.

Minimum wage is for low to no skilled workers, nothing more nothing less. This is just another tactic designed to increase the costs incurred by business owners and will result on a net loss of jobs if this jackass gets his way.
The flip side of this is that if you push the minimum wage far enough it will cause inflation. Enough to undo the damage done by the popping housing bubble.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2013, 09:37 AM

89,060 posts, read 44,866,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pie_row View Post
The flip side of this is that if you push the minimum wage far enough it will cause inflation. Enough to undo the damage done by the popping housing bubble.
You do realize that the poor would be no better off, right? Wages increase -> prices increase. The poor still have the same struggle. Where's the benefit except to those who owe debt and can now pay it back with devalued dollars? Meanwhile asset value increases and debts are more easily paid off. Guess who that really benefits?

Old 03-05-2013, 10:37 AM

621 posts, read 658,502 times
http://www.bearishnews.com/wp-conten...l-debt-gdp.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
You do realize that the poor would be no better off, right?
Doesn't matter.
Quote:
Wages increase -> prices increase. The poor still have the same struggle.
Doesn't matter.
Quote:
Where's the benefit except to those who owe debt and can now pay it back with devalued dollars?
That is the point
Quote:
Meanwhile asset value increases and debts are more easily paid off. Guess who that really benefits?
The banks for one and everyone else for another as the total debt is a big drag on the economy. And as asset values go up then the money flowing through the economy will put very one to work.

Old 03-05-2013, 11:09 AM

8,806 posts, read 6,114,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
So which one is it? Is not wanting to become a manager too stupid, too lazy, or too inept?
Quote:
But I decided long ago I never wanted to be a manager. So what else is there?
This is the attitude that keeps you flipping the burgers. If YOU CHOOSE not to go for something better, why should your employer pay you more? It's your own lack of initiative that keeps you in that position.

Quote:
??? Everyone at my workplace is paid within 25 cents of minimum wage, and the only ones paid more than minimum wage are lifers who have worked here more than ten years.

Individual performance and productivity vary substantially. Do we ALL have a lack of initiative?

And what's the path to higher wages?
Then go to a different workplace....

Yes, anyone in a min wage job for more than a few months (i.e., you should be able to start getting raises at least at your 90 day review), has a major problem on their hands.

The path to higher wages is to suck it up and do a job you may not like, that is, if everyone is like you and doesn't want to be a manager. Or you could switch jobs. Or you could go to school. Or you could do an apprenticeship or learn a trade.

So tired of all the dang excuses. Minimum wage is for people with no skills and no education. It's for people just starting in the work force to learn a work ethic. It's for high schoolers and college kids who want to work part time for spending money.

If after years of doing the same thing and still making min wage or a little more, that is no one's fault but your own, and that does not mean you are entitled to start popping out kids since frankly, you will not be able to support a family on min wage. You may not even be able to support yourself in some localities on min wage, so that REALLY means you shouldn't have kids.

This is all COMMON SENSE stuff.... If something isn't working, try something else and quit whining about how unfair life is.

Old 03-05-2013, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Wait, you left something out.

How/where did he get the money to start multiple companies? I've had several business ideas but never any meaningful amount of money to actually start them.

And if he started businesses with funds earned with his law degree, well, I prepared for law school but couldn't afford to actually go to law school.
Again with the excuses. There's something called student loans, and something else called business loans for people who need capital to start a business.

Maybe your problem is that you're not very informed on how the world works so you don't know what opportunities there are for you to take advantage of. In that case, you probably shouldn't even be voting.

Old 03-05-2013, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
A burger flipper can work his way up in the restaurant business. If he doesn't want to be a manager he can be a cook for better restaurants, thus getting paid better. At one point, he could go to a culinary school, and become the head chef of a quality restaurant.
It's too hard for them to comprehend this idea, I guess.

I always give the example of my husband. He started out in his teens as a delivery driver and we now own a pizza franchise. He has a HS diploma and no formal post secondary education or skills (well, he did construction for awhile, too). He makes enough to support our family just b/c he worked his butt off. He had the motivation to become a manager and was good at it and became one of the highest paid GMs in the franchise (for our area, I'm sure GMs in NYC and places with a high COL make more). Then he was offered an ownership opportunity and we picked up and relocated 1200 miles from all we've ever known.

This is what people do to be successful in life. Work hard, master what they do and take some risks. Anyone not willing to do that needs to just accept what their employer is willing to give them and stop complaining.

Old 03-05-2013, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Time and transportation constraints. I have no car and no license, plus many daytime medical appointments, getting from home to Job 1 to Job 2 and back home the same day, repeat daily, would be quite a project. Takes me an hour or so to get to and from my job now.

OMG then take your driver's test and save up for a $500 or $1000 crappy car. It wouldn't take you an hour to get to and from your job if you had a car, so then the time issue would be taken care of.

Old 03-05-2013, 11:23 AM

89,060 posts, read 44,866,510 times
Quote:
And as asset values go up then the money flowing through the economy will put very one to work.
That's a non sequitur. There's no indication whatsoever that devalued debt and increased asset values will result in increased employment.

Old 03-05-2013, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad3 View Post
There are different classes of people,

1. the poor.
2. working poor.
3. middle class.
4. rich.

The rich hate high minimum wage laws, because high wages cause them to make less profits.
Why do you choose to support the rich, rather than supporting the working poor ??

I would (not) want to raise min. wage laws, to the point they shut down businesses. But I would choose to gives Americas working poor as much money as possible. But you want to give the rich as much money as possible.
A lot of people dislike minimum wage laws and it's not necessarily b/c it leads to lower profits, but you're right, in a roundabout way. It's more about not having to pay someone more than they're worth. These people are often just fired and replaced but in areas like fast food and retail, I'm sorry but nobody is worth $9 an hour, at least when just starting out. It's cost prohibitive to start a business when min wage is that high. And it's harder for businesses to make a profit without raising prices, which makes sales go down, which could lead to the business going downhill and laying off workers. See how that cycle works?

So the selfish-sounding "less profit" reason is way more complex than you make it out to be. It's not about "supporting the rich," it's about helping the economy grow and encouraging free market capitalism. Nobody will work for a wage they are not happy with. If I can't get any employees to work for the wage I offer, I'll have to raise the wage. We own a restaurant and employ people. If min wage goes up to $9/hr, you can rest assured our prices WILL go up and we WILL lose business and possibly go bankrupt. We are NOT rich by any means, we are solidly middle class and just trying to make our way in the world. It's not necessary to demonize the rich when raising the min wage affects many, many more people than just them.

Old 03-05-2013, 11:33 AM

Quote:
http://www.bearishnews.com/wp-conten...l-debt-gdp.jpg

Doesn't matter.
Doesn't matter.
That is the point
The banks for one and everyone else for another as the total debt is a big drag on the economy. And as asset values go up then the money flowing through the economy will put very one to work.
Someone should remind this guy of Zimbabwe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies