Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2013, 10:19 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashed Potatoes View Post
If they are unwilling to obtain further marketable skills and use any one of the numerous adult education programs, then yes, they deserve the bare minimum. If they are complacent and think thats all they can get, then it is their fault and theirs alone.

Oh, and yes, the president is indeed a dumbass. His knowledge of economics, the Constitution, and reality in general is similar to that of a retarded goat.

??? I'd love to obtain further marketable skiklls, where do I sign up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2013, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
If you can't get more than minimum wage, then you should have paid more attention in school.

??? In school my GPA was 3.9 and I graduated in the top 5% of my class, with test scores also in the top 5%.

Old 02-13-2013, 10:23 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,207,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Public Libraries

Free public libraries holding information on any subject you can think of studying. No need to thank me.

Old 02-13-2013, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
If it's not meant to be something to support a family on... then how are people who aren't college educated / MBAs supposed to make a living for themselves and their kids?

We all know that skilled manufacturing jobs that previously paid well have been going the way of the dinosaur in this country. And not everyone is college material. Not everyone is going to be a Warren Buffett or a Bill Gates. And real estate / construction in this country imploded, quite clearly. Many of the people in these low service jobs are people who previously would have gone for some skilled labor, and there is less and less of it to go around. China makes everything now.

So what do these people do? Just die?

The conservative solution seems to be that these people should live in SRO rooms and not have kids.

Old 02-13-2013, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Public Libraries

Free public libraries holding information on any subject you can think of studying. No need to thank me.

Employers want credentials. Free public libraries do not issue credentials. Sheesh.

Old 02-13-2013, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Raise the minimum wage, and you'll get layoffs, stagnant pay and inflation.

But since according to Obama, if we raise the wage, everything will be good. So if that's the case, raise it. And if you're making minimum wage, you don't qualify for welfare or food stamps. I think that's a fair trade.

High turnover will mitigate any need for layoffs, and if layoffs actually occur, teens with the least experience will probably be laid off first.

Old 02-13-2013, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
both Minimum wage and "living wage" are unnecessary. It is up to employees to not accept a salary that they can't live on. If you want to raise the minimum wage you should modify unemployment insurance, medicade, welfare to make up the difference.

Families wouldn't accept a non-living wage if they couldn't fall back on those safety nets, and thus the wage goes up.

and if you are competing against a TEEN for your daily bread, I suggest a move to China, i'm sure you could compete a little better there.

??? People who can't live on minimum wage should not accept min wage jobs, thereby hastening their homelessness and demise???

Old 02-13-2013, 10:32 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,202,662 times
Quote:
Employers want credentials. Free public libraries do not issue credentials. Sheesh.

You could print out all your posts from here on C-D.
They would,no doubt, be so impressed with your industrious, ambitious,innovative,get-ahead ,do-what-needs-to-be-done attitude, they'd overlook the lack of credentials.

Old 02-13-2013, 10:33 AM

1,137 posts, read 972,202 times
Quote:
What skills are you interested in developing and what state do you live in?

Old 02-13-2013, 10:35 AM

1,137 posts, read 972,202 times
Quote:
The conservative solution seems to be that these people should live in SRO rooms and not have kids.
IF people are making minimum wage, they definitely should not have kids. They obviously wouldnt be able to afford to support the child, and it would be tremendously irresponsible for them to have kids they couldnt afford.

I know the concept of personal responsibility is a foreign concept to some people, but without it, tough love is definitely needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies