Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2013, 04:07 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,473,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
He was married. Both parents worked. I think he may have been in the military at some point and was working at CVS after the downturn. I don't remember what he did before that, but the house was bought before the downturn.

DING DING DING there you have it. I keep repeating and repeating and repeating the importance of buying a home (and escaping the trap of rent inflation) for all low earners - or for anyone in this economy who is vulnerable to becoming a low earner.

Question is, how would they have gotten by if they did not own their home? Would they have split up, ended on welfare, etc to make ends meet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2013, 05:41 AM

6,175 posts, read 12,942,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
you could probably support yourself off five bucks an hour , but how about 1 or 2 an hour?

that wouldn't be right, and any employer trying to do that should have his butt kicked IMO
So if I'm willing to accept $2.00 hour, in order to make myself more competitive for the job available, I shouldn't be allowed to do so? Why not? Who are you, or who is the government, to tell me I have to lose that job to someone else simply because you think I should be paid more?

Old 02-15-2013, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
All housing should be an agreement between the lessor (landlord) or seller and the lessee (tenant) or buyer. If a $5.00 per hour worker wants to rent or buy a cottage or a hovel, why should they be prevented from doing so?

For some reason, conservatives and even most libertarians fail to apply their reasoning consistently.
No one prevents you from buying or renting any house cottage or hovel you want, at whatever price you & the owner agree.

Old 02-15-2013, 05:52 AM

Quote:
When the composition of minimum wage workers changed from teens who don't need to live on that wage to adults who do need to live on that wage.
Another case of "not enough people can reach the bar, so let's set it lower."

Old 02-15-2013, 05:54 AM

Quote:
I did work on improving my own pathetic situation, that's why I researched starting my own business.
Yet you claim that the SEC prevented you from opening that business. Perhaps more research is in order. Most businesses arre started with a level of funding that doen't get near the level at which the SEC would be involved.

Old 02-15-2013, 05:55 AM

9,659 posts, read 10,231,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
So if I'm willing to accept $2.00 hour, in order to make myself more competitive for the job available, I shouldn't be allowed to do so? Why not? Who are you, or who is the government, to tell me I have to lose that job to someone else simply because you think I should be paid more?
I am pretty sure there are ways to do that, by contract work or salary work, perhaps...

Old 02-15-2013, 05:59 AM

691 posts, read 771,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post

Exactly! Also, the minimum wage hasn't even kept up with inflation and increases in the cost-of-living!

You are not supposed to be "living" on minimum wage. Those expenses are incurred by your parents. Miniumum wage is to get you some experience in the job world so employers can evaluate your talents and abilities. If you are worth keeping, you will be given a raise in six months.

Old 02-15-2013, 06:01 AM

9,659 posts, read 10,231,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelStraker View Post
You are not supposed to be "living" on minimum wage. Those expenses are incurred by your parents. Miniumum wage is to get you some experience in the job world so employers can evaluate your talents and abilities. If you are worth keeping, you will be given a raise in six months.
Explain that to my parents, who kicked me out.

Old 02-15-2013, 06:02 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Quote:
Another case of "not enough people can reach the bar, so let's set it lower."
Post of the day. This is exactly what has been going on for quite some time.

Lower the bar, lower the expectations, spew excuses and then throw in some government subsidies and still claim we are #1 and getting better.

We're still fooling a lot of people though. Not enough see the light of what is happening because it's happening so slowly.

Old 02-15-2013, 06:03 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Quote:
Yet you claim that the SEC prevented you from opening that business. Perhaps more research is in order. Most businesses arre started with a level of funding that doen't get near the level at which the SEC would be involved.
He set his sights high maybe ? Form a corporation and issue stock is the only way the SEC will get involved as the SEC regulates the stock market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies