Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2013, 10:23 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,210,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
And you also see a commensurate increase in wages that matches the gains in productivity. Until the 80s. When trickle down economics & social Darwinism became popular.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan34 View Post
All you have illustrated is that productivity has increased exponentially in modern times. We agree on that. What you left out is that wages were also increasing exponentially until around 1980. Since 1980, wages were suppressed and did not keep pace with productivity (or inflation). You also did not illustrate is where are all of these lazy people? Where were they in the 90's when unemployment was virtually zero? Why did they suddenly decide to be lazy and not work in the 2000's? This is just a total myth.

The minimum wage stopped increasing around 1980 and has only been increased a few pennies since. Is it just a coincidence that wages have remained stagnant since 1980? Should we just keep doing nothing and let wages remain stagnant forever because a few lazy people (who you haven't proven exist) might be out there?
Obviously wages didn't increase in the '80s, and it has absolutely nothing to do with trickle down economics or 'social darwinism'. Given the Fed's push to combat inflation in the 70's rather than pushing employment as they did earlier than that, how in the world could wages continue to increase coming out of a deflationary period?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
You know, I just saw this. Who are you, to accuse me of being late for my job or leaving early? HOW DARE YOU? You don't know me from the man (or woman) in the moon, and yet you, who complain all the time about people being "rude" to you, make these kind of personal attacks. Who the hell are YOU to tell ME to "take some ownership of my life and show up for work on time"? How can someone the same age as my youngest CHILD be so arrogant and presumptuous as to ass*u*me that I am frequently late for work or leave early? I'm mad as hell at that comment and I"m not going to take it any more! You have lost what little credibility you ever had.

Did you completely forget what you said earlier in this thread? Let me remind you

Quote:
Q#1: We are still in recession, in case you didn't notice. Sometimes it's hard to do two jobs due to overlapping shift requirements, and believe me, from personal experience, these min. wage jobs are not real forgiving if you're late, or have to leave early. It's hard enough to get 40 hours in these minimum wage jobs.
You brought up leaving early or being late to work first, not me. Don't act offended or accuse me of personal attacks because I responded to something you brought up.

Good god, you are seriously mad because you can't remember what you wrote in the post I was directly responding to? Yes I assume you are late or leave early. You brought it up! It would never occur to me to say something along the lines of what I bolded in your post above because I am not late for work! Why the hell did you even bring that up if you were going to get so offended for someone responding to it? Either grow some thicker skin or try and remember what you say in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2013, 10:32 AM

691 posts, read 771,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
Well if something happened to you in that year, your wife could have been in that same boat.
She would have been in exactly the same position she was in the day before we married. She was not a "veal" that had no skills or education that was taken care of by someone else.

Old 02-15-2013, 10:33 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
People in your situation usually have to pay their taxes quarterly... ...
Nope - we work very closely with our CPA. We have an LLC.

We can choose to pay quarterly or once a year. We choose to pay once a year and allow our money to earn a bit of interest in the interim. We save on tax preparation fees as well that way.

But thanks for the free tax advice - which is worth exactly what I paid for it.

Old 02-15-2013, 10:34 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,496,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parried View Post
All I hear is "entitled worker, unemployed people think they are entitled, nobody owes you a job" blah blah blah. What about employers? Nobody owes you a profit! You aren't just entitled to slave wages. You aren't entitled to even good workers. So before you go ragging on unemployed people try looking in the mirror. Sheesh.

If you're not paying the wage that an employee you consider is qualified for the job would accept, then they won't be interested. It's that simple and not hard to understand. The Free Market works BOTH WAYS. Not just yours! You want the benefits and none of the hardships. A profit is something you have to earn, you aren't entitled to profit just because you run a business.

Only in america. The most ridiculous, corrupt, dog eat dog brain dead nation on the planet.
hmm

most small businesses...fail

most small businesses have a 2% profit ratio OR LESS

you people do understand rations and comparisons...you do???

minimum wage is less than 5% of the working population

minimum wage is UNSKILLED workers...even the fast food places PAY MORE than min wage

wages are based on need and SKILL

you pay this level worker $7...this level worker $9...this level worker $11, this level worker $18...etc

when you raise ther min....what happens to that DSKILLED worker that was making $9

raising the min wage in 07,09 was PART OF THE RECESSION we are trying to get out

Old 02-15-2013, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
You said you were all making about minimum wage, in spite of college degrees. I'm just saying that's no surprise.

That is what happens when people get degrees in marine biology but decide to live in the desert.

Old 02-15-2013, 10:36 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,937,175 times
It wasn't advice... ...

Old 02-15-2013, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Well, considering that my husband and I now cut a check to the federal government every April 15 for more than most people earn working all year long, I'd say we've more than repaid any tax credit we ever received.

But according to liberal doctrine you could afford to NOT take the deduction for your kids. They think Bill Gates should not be permitted to collect Social Security of Medicare when he retires.

Old 02-15-2013, 10:38 AM

23,175 posts, read 26,211,073 times
Quote:
That is not CD's definition.

So unless this letter was a personal letter to you, someone likely copyrighted it in their article. It's even worse that you didn't provide a link, though that may have been intentional, so the mods couldn't find out where it came from.

CD generally says "3 sentences".
If I remember correctly, it is also a violation to call out the possible violations of others in a thread.
You are supposed to report what you think might be a violation and let the real mods handle it.
(Like, how fast will you report this one?)

Old 02-15-2013, 10:39 AM

1,923 posts, read 2,411,237 times
I don't support higher minimum wage. I'd like it to be how it was during the pioneer hunter and gathering days. You showed up to a work site, waved down the boss and asked for work. When you were done you got compensated. I was just pointing out how stupid the argument people make is. You say everyone else feels entitled, as if you don't yourself.

Old 02-15-2013, 10:39 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
It wasn't advice... ...
I wasn't being serious either. I certainly don't assume that you are qualified to give me one shred of financial advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies