Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2013, 05:23 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,267,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Where I work one-third of the employees have college degrees. All of us earn within a few cents of minimum wage. There's something wrong with all of us?
Liberal art degrees aren't worth very much... aside from math.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2013, 05:24 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,473,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Safety standards? Fire codes? What standards do you want to relax?

So freemkt, why hasn't the free market flooded the country with inexpensive homes that people can afford? That is what capitalism teaches us -- if there is a demand, someone will rush in to fill it.

How about minimum lot size standards? I rented a cottage that was legal to rent independently but not buy independently. Since it was legal to rent and to occupy, there were no safety standards in conflict.

The inexpensive homes that people can afford to buy do not exist because governments have prohibited them through zoning. When they do exist, they are called 'accessory dwelling units' and are considered to be associated with a larger dwelling unit and ownership cannot be segregated. (i.e. property owner can sell both at the same time to the same buyer, but cannot sell one at a time and also cannot sell one to buyer A and the other to buyer B).

Old 02-14-2013, 05:24 PM

1,137 posts, read 972,562 times
Quote:
Yes, God forbid that my former employer spend only 12 weeks a year globetrotting instead of the 16 weeks he spends now.
It's his business, he can use his time in any way he sees fit.

Dont like it? Start your own business and run it the way you deem appropriate.

Old 02-14-2013, 05:31 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,267,905 times
Quote:
How about minimum lot size standards? I rented a cottage that was legal to rent independently but not buy independently. Since it was legal to rent and to occupy, there were no safety standards in conflict.

The inexpensive homes that people can afford to buy do not exist because governments have prohibited them through zoning. When they do exist, they are called 'accessory dwelling units' and are considered to be associated with a larger dwelling unit and ownership cannot be segregated. (i.e. property owner can sell both at the same time to the same buyer, but cannot sell one at a time and also cannot sell one to buyer A and the other to buyer B).
I don't think that is quite true. What is to stop person A and person B from forming an LLP and buying the homes from the property owner.

Ex: Main house is $100K rental house is $50K down payment is 20%. Person A puts down $20K & person B puts down $10K. They form an LLP get the loan through the LLP and each party owns the respective properties and owes their respective share of taxes. A lawyer would tell you if it's legal, but that's how I would do it.

Old 02-14-2013, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Unemployment rates in Washington state and Oregon are above the national average.
Unemployment Rates for States

Cost of living in all three of these states is above the national average, so even though their minimum wage is higher, between unemployment and cost of living, I wouldn't think their workers are too happy with the economy.

The West Coast has a lot of imported poverty aka illegal aliens, er, temporarily displaced travelers!

Old 02-14-2013, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
I don't think that is quite true. What is to stop person A and person B from forming an LLP and buying the homes from the property owner.

Ex: Main house is $100K rental house is $50K down payment is 20%. Person A puts down $20K & person B puts down $10K. They form an LLP get the loan through the LLP and each party owns the respective properties and owes their respective share of taxes. A lawyer would tell you if it's legal, but that's how I would do it.

That sounds like it would work but most burger flippers probably don't know a person willing and qualified to go through all that. There also is the issue of being tied to the financial vagaries of another person, e.g. you could lose your home and equity if the other person becomes unable to carry his mortgage weight, which is a good reason others might not want to go into the deal with a burger flipper.

Also, in states with split roll property taxes, ownership by an LLP might disqualify both homes from homestead exemptions, which would negate one of the bigger reasons to own.

Old 02-14-2013, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
OK listen up.

Say you're a $12 an hour worker whose been working someplace for a couple of years and you've got a good work record.

Suddenly all the minimum wage workers get a $1-$2 an hour pay raise. For doing nothing. The least skilled workers there suddenly get a 15-20 percent pay raise.

Wouldn't you expect a pay raise as well? I would think so - and everyone above you on the food chain as well. Why should the least skilled and least qualified and least experienced workers get a big pay raise and yet the other workers don't?

When minimum wage is increased, ALL hourly wages (and many salaried wages) must be increased in order to retain quality workers.

THIS is what makes labor costs - which are passed on to all of us - go up.

??? Back when I delivered pizzas, I had one job which paid 20 cents above minimum wage. When minimum wage was increased, my new wage was the new minimum.

NOTHING says ALL hourly wages MUST be increased. Sheesh!

Old 02-14-2013, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
The average minimum wage is $7/hr. Look at teenage unemployment figures, if we raise the min wage by two to three dollars, a lot fewer teens will get hired, and lot of jobs will just go away, because they just won't be worth it.

It's common sense. A simplified way of looking at it, if I raise my wages from $7 to $9. If I have 100 employees, and I pay them each $2/hr more, I will be paying $8,000 more a week, @40/hr a week, that's the equivalent of 27 more paychecks a week. I will probably cut some of them back on their hours, and raise prices. Or try to compete with my competitors and cut more jobs to try and keep my costs or prices to my customers lower.

I sure as hell will not be paying some 15 year old kid $9/hr to sweep floors or help customers at my gas station to check the oil, tire inflation and clean their windows either.

By golly, you'll sweep your own floors!

Old 02-14-2013, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
The only people that should be qualifying for food stamps are those that have ZERO job only. If you can't survive on $7/hr then you should be sharing your living space.

Many communities make it unlawful for more than two unrelated individuals to share a dwelling.

Oops.

Old 02-14-2013, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
land, labor and materials cost is why. All the demand in the world won't help if the cost to build it is expensive.

2,500 sq ft lots are expensive? What planet are you on? Lots of cheap illegal labor available as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies