Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2013, 04:50 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,473,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Expand the social programs even more.
Isn't that what we're doing today using the excuse "No jobs to be found" ?

Not much in the way of social programs for nonworking able bodied childless adults. Even food stamps are restricted to 3 months in a 36-mopnth period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2013, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Already happening.

But the homeowner majority is unwilling to relax housing standards to make said lower standard of living affordable. That is not sustainable.

Old 02-14-2013, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
What ever advantage gained by employees by an increase in minimum wage, will soon be eaten up by higher prices and layoffs to compensate for it. If you think employers are going to absorb the cost of higher wages, you are mistaken. The cost of higher wages will be passed along to the consumer and the employee will be paying his own salary in the higher prices of consumer goods. In the end, it will cause increase in prices for all.

Yes, God forbid that my former employer spend only 12 weeks a year globetrotting instead of the 16 weeks he spends now.

Old 02-14-2013, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
They should be living at home or renting a room somewhere or have roomates. I had four roomates when I graduated from college. As each of us earned more money, we got our own place. I am talking three civil engineers and a software developer.

I've had enough of my stuff stolen by roommates (note: roomates are marsupial siblings) over the years. I want a tiny house of my own, thank you.

Old 02-14-2013, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Only 5.2 percent of workers in the US make minimum wage. To hear our Fearless Leader talk, you'd think that half the workforce was making $7 an hour.

That's actually something which supports a higher minimum wage - there are so few people actually paid it that reports of impending economic demise are greatly exaggerated.

(Sorry, Mark.)

Old 02-14-2013, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Right on.

Not to mention that raising the minimum wage will raise the cost of living and raise prices on all goods and services for everyone - including the poor.

I can't think of anything I buy that is produced, distributed, or sold with minimum wage labor.

Old 02-14-2013, 05:15 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,956,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
But the homeowner majority is unwilling to relax housing standards to make said lower standard of living affordable. That is not sustainable.
Safety standards? Fire codes? What standards do you want to relax?

So freemkt, why hasn't the free market flooded the country with inexpensive homes that people can afford? That is what capitalism teaches us -- if there is a demand, someone will rush in to fill it.

Old 02-14-2013, 05:17 PM

Quote:
And I don't know about anyone else, but the only time in my life that I've made minimum wage was when I was fifteen years old and working part time at Burger King.

If you're stuck for more than a few months at minimum wage, I got news for you - it's not the system that's flawed - it's YOU. Your work and your skills are apparently not in high demand, or are not of good quality, or you're underemployed and seriously need to get out and find a better job. Don't tell me you can't do that - if you truly can't, then maybe your skills really ARE only worth minimum wage and you need to embark on a quest of self improvement.

Get real. Only 5 percent of American workers make minimum wage. That means 95 PERCENT of Americans make more than minimum wage. If you're not in that 95 percent, the problem probably lies with you.

Where I work one-third of the employees have college degrees. All of us earn within a few cents of minimum wage. There's something wrong with all of us?

Old 02-14-2013, 05:18 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Safety standards? Fire codes? What standards do you want to relax?

So freemkt, why hasn't the free market flooded the country with inexpensive homes that people can afford? That is what capitalism teaches us -- if there is a demand, someone will rush in to fill it.
land, labor and materials cost is why. All the demand in the world won't help if the cost to build it is expensive.

Old 02-14-2013, 05:21 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,267,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I can't think of anything I buy that is produced, distributed, or sold with minimum wage labor.
Do you shop at a grocery store? Walmart? Bookstores, gamestores, amusement parks, restaurants, Walgreens, gas station, Home & hardware stores, anything packaged in plastic, etc. All of these types of companies employ min wage labor somewhere in their supply chain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies