Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2013, 08:13 PM

50,327 posts, read 47,080,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepsis View Post
I see a lot of older people working at these stores now. There's a reason why teen unemployment rates are going up... Because people have to take these menial jobs to support themselves.
I'm amazed at the number of people that thought SS was going to support them in old age and save zippo. The same thing goes on today.

The Govt will take care of me...............NOT

In CA the illegals are the one taking over jobs teens and seniors used to do. Three million strong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2013, 08:39 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
yes, I think you can work more than 40 hours per week. I have personally worked between 75 and 90 hours per week for the last four years. I have very little respect for people who make excuses as you do instead of actually finding a way to make something of themselves.

I have worked and studied between 75 and 90 hours per week for the last four years to insure I could be successful. People either make excuses or try harder to make something of themselves. It isn't "hard to get 40 hours in minimum wage jobs". Why the hell are you ever late to your job? Why do you leave early? Take some ownership of your own life and show up to work on time. That is a pretty basic part of being a productive member of society.

So live with more. Do what is needed to support yourself. That is what the rest of us do.
You know, I just saw this. Who are you, to accuse me of being late for my job or leaving early? HOW DARE YOU? You don't know me from the man (or woman) in the moon, and yet you, who complain all the time about people being "rude" to you, make these kind of personal attacks. Who the hell are YOU to tell ME to "take some ownership of my life and show up for work on time"? How can someone the same age as my youngest CHILD be so arrogant and presumptuous as to ass*u*me that I am frequently late for work or leave early? I'm mad as hell at that comment and I"m not going to take it any more! You have lost what little credibility you ever had.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 02-14-2013 at 09:15 PM..

Old 02-14-2013, 09:21 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,942,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
It should certainly be enough to support the worker himself though.

do you agree?
No.

All wages should be an agreement between the employee and the employer. If a worker wants to accept $5.00 hour to sweep a floor, why should they be prevented from doing so?

Old 02-14-2013, 10:11 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,312,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashed Potatoes View Post
Where do these morons get the notion that minimum wage is meant to be a living wage? It is an ENTRY level wage, it's not something meant to support your family on.
Are there enough non-minimum wage jobs available for everyone to eventually have one?

if not, then the minimum wage becomes a wage that some have to live on, right?

Old 02-14-2013, 10:39 PM

8,895 posts, read 5,376,871 times
Default I thought the law stated .....

that this was the minimum wage. How did it suddenly get changed to be the "living" wage?

Old 02-14-2013, 11:00 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,267,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
Are there enough non-minimum wage jobs available for everyone to eventually have one?

if not, then the minimum wage becomes a wage that some have to live on, right?
If a robot can do the job cheaper there will be no wage or benefits.

Old 02-14-2013, 11:09 PM

5,190 posts, read 4,841,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Nope, and that's why they are getting their butts handed to them by the super stores. Who pays 30% extra for basic items? So a grocery bagger can have a pension? Absurd.
what's so absurd about a grocery bagger having a pension - seems fair enough to me

Old 02-14-2013, 11:13 PM

5,190 posts, read 4,841,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
No.

All wages should be an agreement between the employee and the employer. If a worker wants to accept $5.00 hour to sweep a floor, why should they be prevented from doing so?
you could probably support yourself off five bucks an hour , but how about 1 or 2 an hour?

that wouldn't be right, and any employer trying to do that should have his butt kicked IMO

Old 02-14-2013, 11:44 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
If anything, children are an investment. Sure, you pay to raise them for the first 18 years or so. But then they leave the nest, hopefully earn more then you did, and bring you wealth of love for decades to come. children bring grandchildren and great grandchildren, and take care of their parents and grand parents when they grow old.

Most of the other luxuries you listed will be long gone, and hopefully your children will last for your entire life, getting better with age.
You got that right. So far so good! Four great kids and seven perfect grandkids!

And when I had my kids, we couldn't even afford cable TV - and they shared a room with a sibling their entire childhoods. OH THE HORROR. The NEGLECT.

Old 02-14-2013, 11:48 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I can't think of anything I buy that is produced, distributed, or sold with minimum wage labor.
Well, if you're like most Americans, most of what you buy comes from China, so technically you're right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies