Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2013, 11:49 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Where I work one-third of the employees have college degrees. All of us earn within a few cents of minimum wage. There's something wrong with all of us?
Apparently so. Sorry about that. Work another plan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2013, 11:52 PM

Quote:
The West Coast has a lot of imported poverty aka illegal aliens, er, temporarily displaced travelers!

I live in Texas.

Old 02-14-2013, 11:53 PM

Quote:
??? Back when I delivered pizzas, I had one job which paid 20 cents above minimum wage. When minimum wage was increased, my new wage was the new minimum.

NOTHING says ALL hourly wages MUST be increased. Sheesh!
I'm beginning to see a genuine correlation between your reasoning skills and your pay grade.

Old 02-15-2013, 12:28 AM

2,198 posts, read 2,736,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
I'm confused as to the path of your logic. You acknowledge that Costco pays a higher than minimum wage so they can attract and retain higher quality employees. You acknowledge that better wages attract harder & more qualified workers. Then you say that Costco would LOVE to see minimum wage increase. Please explain that to me. What would Costco gain by having the minimum wage increase. If that happens, and if Costco's competition is forced to pay wages more similar to what Costco already pays, does not Costco LOSE at least a major part of the competitive advantage is currently has in the quest to attract & retain those higher quality workers? Will Costco not be compelled to increase their own wage scale as well, so they can retain the advantage they currently have in the hiring market?
Costco already pays well above $9 an hour. So if Wal-mart is forced to start their employees off at $9 an hour and Costco already starts theirs off at $11 an hour, you're still going to want to work at Costco whether they bump their pay further or not. Not to mention that Costco's employees move up in pay far more quickly and after a few years are making ~$17-18 an hour while the Wal-mart employee is probably making $10-11. Plus Costco has health benefits and is a much more employee-friendly business.

If minimum wage jumps to $9 an hour, Costco doesn't lose its compensation advantages. But Wal-mart either loses some of its profit margin or price competitiveness.

Old 02-15-2013, 12:39 AM

5,190 posts, read 4,841,059 times
to get me working at WM would need at least $30hr

I am worth that much to anyone - don't like it, your loss!

Old 02-15-2013, 01:40 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,473,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I'm beginning to see a genuine correlation between your reasoning skills and your pay grade.

My pay grade was equal to or better than the others with whom I worked. Which means either everyone failed at my workplace, or perhaps the workplace failed.

Old 02-15-2013, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I'm amazed at the number of people that thought SS was going to support them in old age and save zippo. The same thing goes on today.

HowTF much did you expect a burger flipper to save for retirement?

Old 02-15-2013, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
No.

All wages should be an agreement between the employee and the employer. If a worker wants to accept $5.00 hour to sweep a floor, why should they be prevented from doing so?

All housing should be an agreement between the lessor (landlord) or seller and the lessee (tenant) or buyer. If a $5.00 per hour worker wants to rent or buy a cottage or a hovel, why should they be prevented from doing so?

For some reason, conservatives and even most libertarians fail to apply their reasoning consistently.

Old 02-15-2013, 01:50 AM

5,190 posts, read 4,841,059 times
I think the argument against that one is that you should have become manager.

See, we should have a restaurant full of managers but only 1 or 2 flippers.

In that way , min wage would be a thing of the past.

This is how the Con brain ticks.

lol

Old 02-15-2013, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
that this was the minimum wage. How did it suddenly get changed to be the "living" wage?

When the composition of minimum wage workers changed from teens who don't need to live on that wage to adults who do need to live on that wage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies