Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 09:01 AM

11,761 posts, read 14,665,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Raise the minimum wage, and you'll get layoffs, stagnant pay and inflation.
So let me get this straight. At the same time you're saying that if the minimum wage goes up employers will cut positions so that their total outlay for personnel doesn't go up, and that if the minimum wage goes up personnel costs will rise and that will cause employers to raise their prices.

Or, in other words, an increase in the minimum wage will both cause wages to go up and to stay stagnant, which means employer costs will both go up and stay the same.

Thanks for that explanation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2013, 09:04 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,960,872 times
The MW was $1.60 in 1968. Had it kept up with inflation it would be $10.56 today.

Old 02-13-2013, 09:05 AM

45,244 posts, read 26,477,444 times
Hehe out of one side of his mouth Obama calls for an increase in min. wage and from the other side he calls for the destruction of the dollar through money printing.
All glory to our central planners.

Old 02-13-2013, 09:05 AM

1,456 posts, read 1,512,199 times
It is an issue that requires more attention than I can currently give it. You make a good point about classically minimum wage being an ENTRY level wage. I wonder though if in the 30 years since I started working that may have changed? Maybe what they are getting at is now many low skilled people actually do live off those wages forever? So their way of addressing it is to create a "living wage". Have you read Fast Food Worker? I think taht is the name of it about a woman who goes to work in fast food and observes the lives of the workers.

Here is an article about the issue.

Press Articles - Rolling Stone 1

Old 02-13-2013, 09:10 AM

10,581 posts, read 9,791,415 times
BTW, if you're wondering the real reason behind liberals' constant insistence on raising the minumum wage higher and higher... most union wages are tied to the minimum wage. If they raise the minimum, then EVERYBODY in most unions gets a raise, whether the employers they are soaking can afford it or not. Union contracts often demand this.

Any time you think liberals are doing something "to help the little guy", think again. It always turns out to be another source of corruption and vote-buying.

Old 02-13-2013, 09:10 AM

3,216 posts, read 2,087,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The standard of living in the US is going down but the prices are not so government has to step in and somehow fill the gap either through expanded social welfare programs or mandating higher wages.

That's just reality folks. Walmart is the #1 employer in the US today is proof enough about which way we're headed.
How else are these folks going to afford thier I-Phones, I-Pads, Laptops, X-Boxes, Plasma TV's, cable, internet, and such...... you know..... with the standard of living going down and all....

Old 02-13-2013, 09:18 AM

10,016 posts, read 12,586,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashed Potatoes View Post
Well last night the dumbass called for raising the minimum wage to a "livable wage".

Where do these morons get the notion that minimum wage is meant to be a living wage? It is an ENTRY level wage, it's not something meant to support your family on.

Minimum wage is for low to no skilled workers, nothing more nothing less. This is just another tactic designed to increase the costs incurred by business owners and will result on a net loss of jobs if this jackass gets his way.
You calling the POTUS "dumbass" is sort of like the worm calling the chimp, slow. I guess in your world there are no people who will never attain to a position higher than an "entry level" job. Let me tell you something. I have travelled all over your country for years and I have seen that there are many millions of hard working people who will never read at more than a grade 2 level. In your world these people don't deserve a life I guess and you know what? I'm glad I don't live in your world.

Old 02-13-2013, 09:18 AM

1,456 posts, read 1,512,199 times
Some would say that the left and right are encouraged to fight against each other so we don't focus on the real issues which is greed by US companies that has progressively gotten worse over the past several decades. So they say they can't pay a higher wage cause they would then not be able to hire people but how did all these companies do it 30 years ago? They used to have a sense of fairness and share some of the ups and downs with their own people. Companies now want to profit at the top and give the least to the people below. I think focusing on Obama is once again allowing us to be split into parties rather than looking at the bigger issues. Lets look at the issue and solutions unrelated to whose idea it is.

Personally I feel that all those companies that took their work to China and other places should be booted out of the US for good. Their citizenship revoked. If you can't keep your company here and support America are you really American?
If more of us banded together to make this a reality there would less issues with poor folks trying to make a living from work in fast food for 30 years.

Old 02-13-2013, 09:19 AM

39,086 posts, read 51,266,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Raise the minimum wage, and you'll get layoffs, stagnant pay and inflation.

But since according to Obama, if we raise the wage, everything will be good. So if that's the case, raise it. And if you're making minimum wage, you don't qualify for welfare or food stamps. I think that's a fair trade.
Utter baloney! We hear that every time an increase is proposed and it never comes to pass or is only a temporary effect. Employers will hire the number of employees they need to do the job. As long as demand for the product remains the same, the number of employees will remain the same. The cost of the product may rise or the employer will find other ways to adjust to higher costs - but they will not cut employees if employees are needed to deliver the service or good. Employee numbers are not elastic in a well run business. Fact!

Anyway, the real advantage in minimum wage is not to those who receive it. An increase in minimum wages always translates to an increase in wages above minimum - to you, and you and you, too. Learn a little bit about econ and you will quit parroting dumb statements that have no basis in fact.

Last edited by Ponderosa; 02-13-2013 at 09:27 AM..

Old 02-13-2013, 09:20 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,211,198 times
You can't support a family at $9/hour. It's a little over $18,720 a year. The current minimum wage at $7.25 is $15,080/year for a full time person. You can't support ONE person on that if you live anywhere but the tiniest rural community, and even then it would be tight. Would you rather have them make a little more in their paycheck, or get it from the government in food stamps and welfare benefits? You don't get it both ways. I thought that the D's were all trying to keep people on welfare to buy votes? Raising the minimum wage doesn't exactly jibe with that....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies