Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 01:57 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Being in sports does require you to pass your classes. That is true. However, some student athletes have told me about that for them to get a scholarship, the SAT admission requirements were lower for them than someone who was just going in as a non-athlete.
Yes, there are different rules for athletes than non-athletes.
And many colleges provide one on one tutors to keep those athletes passing their coursework while in college.

You know how big college football is.

And then some go and destroy the chance given to them anyway.

I could link several instances just out of UT alone.

Old 02-17-2013, 01:58 PM

1,288 posts, read 2,924,497 times
Quote:
Given what you have stated, what is your point? What is your agenda? No one I know says this stuff without a reason, a reason, I may add, that could hurt me in the end. And that being said, you have not answered MY first question. What were you proposing be done? I
I don't have a solution as to what can be done. I do know the facts and the state we're in.

What about you? Why are you stating false facts with those inflated SAT numbers and possibly GPA for Morehouse students?

Old 02-17-2013, 02:00 PM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Yes, there are different rules for athletes than non-athletes.
And many colleges provide one on one tutors to keep those athletes passing their coursework while in college.

You know how big college football is.

And then some go and destroy the chance given to them anyway.

I could link several instances just out of UT alone.
It's about attitude and handling things responsibly.

At my alma mater, there was a cheating scandal on the basketball team. A few people got suspended as a result. I think one of the players went to play basketball in Spain after that.

Old 02-17-2013, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timing2012 View Post
I don't have a solution as to what can be done. I do know the facts and the state we're in.

What about you? Why are you stating false facts with those inflated SAT numbers and possibly GPA for Morehouse students?
I wasn't inflating the numbers. I went on a website to find them.

I was asking you what you propose because normally, no one says what you say, except for one reason. Usually, the reason is to justify their own prejudice of Blacks, or to say "avoid Blacks altogether, no matter if they are decent or not". My perspective is that you are looking for reasons to justify your own prejudice. But I know how individuals like you think. It's about power and control.

Old 02-17-2013, 02:04 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,535,626 times
Quote:
I highly doubt that the average SAT of Morehouse's freshmen is 1400 out of 1600. Is that something you dreamed of?
Quote:

3.5 is questionable as well, but, that's nothing to be too proud of either. Flagship state schools in that state or surrounding states, such as UAlabama, UGA, and UF have the median GPA of about 4.0.

Um....okay. Morehouse is known as one of the top 3 black schools. Is its stats anywhere near the top 3 predominantly white schools? Let's go easy on you, how about any of the top 30 predominantly white schools?

Source: Princeton Review

Morehouse College
Average High School GPA: 3.2

University of Alabama
Average High School GPA: 3.6

University of Georgia
Average High School GPA: 3.8

University of Mississippi
Average High School GPA: 3.4

West Virginia Univ
Average High School GPA: 3.4

Howard University

University of Texas - Dallas
Average High School GPA: 3.3

Louisian State Univ
Average High School GPA: 3.5

Old 02-17-2013, 02:04 PM

Quote:
I wasn't inflating the numbers. I went on a website to find them.
Right!! LOL Can you link us to this "website?"

Quote:
I was asking you what you propose because normally, no one says what you say, except for one reason. Usually, the reason is to justify their own prejudice of Blacks, or to say "avoid Blacks altogether, no matter if they are decent or not". My perspective is that you are looking for reasons to justify your own prejudice. But I know how individuals like you think. It's about power and control.
See how racist you are by always assuming that everything is racism all blacks are oppressed.

Old 02-17-2013, 02:07 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,159,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
I have to be honest and say that I would not trust the motivations of some White teachers to educate young Black minds. If these teachers are going into the schools with a prison guard mentality even with 1st graders then these students never had a chance in that environment.
Why would you automatically not trust them or assume they are up to no good? I would be ticked off as all get out if some white person said they didn't trust my motivation to educate young white minds. Sheesh. You can't complain about people using stereotypes if you are guilty of it yourself.

Quote:
Some Black parents whose children attend public schools need to push hard against the status quo and complacent attitudes of MANY educators. They need to realize that their children's teachers may not have their child's best interest in mind. Being proactive and being a warrior for your child's education is the only way.
Being willing to push hard for your child to get the education they deserve is what every parent should do. However, before accusing the schools or teachers of picking on your child make sure your child has clean hands in the event you are discussing. Too often parent (of all races) listen to their child's account of an incident and come to the school with guns blazing. But in reality, had their child behaved the way they should have the conflict with the teacher would have never occurred. Parents are too quick to scream that their child was disrespected. I have four children and only one seemed to have multiple clashes with teachers, funny how every time I took the time to discuss the event in depth it turns out he was very busy pushing buttons. He is a fine adult, despite the issues, but the point is the other three could have the exact same teacher with no problems.

Old 02-17-2013, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Right!! LOL Can you link us to this "website?"

See how racist you are by always assuming that everything is racism all blacks are oppressed.
Seeing how you used the term "racism" you don't know what it means. It means thinking and believing that one race is superior or inferior to another.

And here is the link: HBCU College Information

and https://www.morehouse.edu/admissions...freshmen.shtml

And I have another question. If racism isn't your aim, then what is your agenda? I've asked questions for you to answer.

Old 02-17-2013, 02:11 PM

Quote:

Source: Princeton Review

Morehouse College

University of Alabama
Average High School GPA: 3.6

University of Georgia
Average High School GPA: 3.8
A huge difference there, isn't it?

Old 02-17-2013, 02:15 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,535,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Why wouldn't you trust them? I would be ticked off as all get out if some white person said they didn't trust my motivation to educate young white minds. Sheesh. You can't complain about people using stereotypes if you are guilty of it yourself.
I used the word "some" in my previous post for a reason. "Some" teachers are not great educators and do not have the best interest at heart when standing in front of a classroom of Black students (or any other students for that matter).

Am I placing blame solely at their feet? No, but I do believe that many have no interest in educating young Black minds. I feel that it is the parents duty to hold their own children, the teachers, the schools and themselves accountable. I have heard enough horror stories about teachers to know that my concerns are valid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies