Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 02:16 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,211,532 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
I live in Central Fl. The school my granchildren attend is rated the best academically in the county but there is a high incidence of racial tension, fights, etc. The resource officer is black and he admits it often times is escalated by the blacks. They are poised to take offense and rail against the offender or perceived offender quickly and to an extreme way. It is very bad. The other HS in the area or worse. I don't know the answer.
Not surprising. Starts at home, with parents who are on top of what is going on with their children. Sounds like misplaced frustration. Place that energy into their schoolwork, and the results would be amazing. As they are children, they need proper guidance more than anything.

Old 02-17-2013, 02:17 PM

1,288 posts, read 2,931,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
According to your link, it states "Early admission applicant should represent students who are in the top 25 percentile of his class, usually a 3.5 or better on a 4.0 scale, and a strong performance on the SAT or ACT."

It means about 75% of its Freshmen has a GPA lower than 3.5. In comparison, less than 10% of UF's freshmen have a GPA lower than 4.0. Why are we even comparing again?

http://www.admissions.ufl.edu/ugrad/frprofile.html

Old 02-17-2013, 02:17 PM

73,233 posts, read 62,923,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
Starts at home and with parents who are on top of what it going on with their children.
This is a good place to start. We can have a civilized conversation from here.

Old 02-17-2013, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timing2012 View Post
According to your link, it states "Early admission applicant should represent students who are in the top 25 percentile of his class, usually a 3.5 or better on a 4.0 scale, and a strong performance on the SAT or ACT."

It means about 75% of its Freshmen has a GPA lower than 3.5. In comparison, less than 10% of UF's freshmen have a GPA lower than 4.0. Why are we even comparing again?
Actually, what this means is the student should be in the top 25th percentile of his high school graduating class or have a 3.5 GPA to get into Morehouse.

Again, I will ask you a question that you have been evading since I we started. What is your agenda? What exactly do you want?

Old 02-17-2013, 02:24 PM

1,579 posts, read 2,349,198 times
[MOD CUT]

Is there ONE public high school in all of America that is 70%+ black with above AVERAGE ACT or SAT scores?

Last edited by Ibginnie; 02-17-2013 at 03:16 PM.. Reason: discussing moderation

Old 02-17-2013, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post

Again, I will ask you a question that you have been evading since I we started. What is your agenda? What exactly do you want?
I have no agenda. I just don't like it when people put false facts out there. State the facts as they are. Period.

Why are you making false claims that the average Moorehouse student has 1400 SAT score?

Old 02-17-2013, 02:25 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,309,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
I have a lady friend that's a teacher and she can confirm what Edward A is saying. The kids don't care, the parents don't care. She can't even get most of the black parents to show up to open house/parent teacher night. It's like what Bill Cosby was saying about you have parents out here who will spend $200 on a pair of Air Jordans but won't spend the money on hooked on phonics knowing there kids can't read.
Let's not get carried away with the exaggerations just because Dr. Cosby said it...few parents of any race will drop 200 on Jordans, and blacks are certainly no exception to that. Parents with those type of resources are likely to be involved in their children's education to at least a minor degree.

Look, Hooked on Phonics ain't about to cut it. Parental involvement has to go deeper than that, and if you discover that your children can't read, you've already abdicated your responsibility as a parent. Now that my son is a teacher, I'm starting to see just how pathetic many parents are when it comes to their children's education. Negligent doesn't even begin to describe it.

When it comes to kids from a regressive background like a hell of a lot of black kids find themselves in, it's obvious that the system we have now isn't working, and we can't MAKE the damn parents care! That means that some new methods are needed in lower socio-economic areas and schools.

I've heard that making schools one gender instead of co-ed seemingly works better for kids with troubled backgrounds. Mandatory uniforms, and some uniform system of accountability for low performance and poor behavior. Maybe vouchers can play a bigger role. Hell, I'm willing to try anything that works.

Old 02-17-2013, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by things and stuff View Post

Is there ONE high school in all of America that is 70%+ black and scores even AVERAGE in ACT or SAT scores?
No way! That's just probably a solid fact.

Old 02-17-2013, 02:26 PM

2,860 posts, read 3,399,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by things and stuff View Post
[MOD CUT] Is there ONE high school in all of America that is 70%+ black and scores even AVERAGE in ACT or SAT scores?
Well it would probably be "racist" to have those statistics listed somewhere.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 02-17-2013 at 03:17 PM.. Reason: edited quted post

Old 02-17-2013, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timing2012 View Post
I have no agenda. I just don't like it when people put false facts out there. State the facts as they are. Period.

Why are you making false claims that the average Moorehouse student has 1400 SAT score?
I was not talking about AVERAGE. I was talking about admission requirements. There are requirements, but sometimes students can get around them.

I have to ask questions about the agenda because why else would someone say things about Blacks other than to justify their own prejudice? Why else? No one ever says something for nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies