Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 11:36 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,633,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
He supports people paying for their own healthcare, big difference.
Did he say what is supposed to happen to sick people who don't have the money to pay for health insurance or medical care? I don't think the emergency room wants repeat visits from people who are chronically sick.

Old 02-17-2013, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
There is something wrong with it, no amount of education can fix the stupidity found on the left today. It's just wasting more money like all of their other failed plans.
So ObamaCare needs to be fixed by telling sick people to come to your front door to beg you for money to pay for their medical care, so the government can stay the hell out of the way in paying for it.?

Old 02-17-2013, 11:43 PM

21,474 posts, read 10,572,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortal technique View Post
Republicans rant and rave about Black Republicans, but when it comes to pulling the lever for President, they rarely seem to do it. Dr. Carson will not be nominated, I wonder if they will blame the Democrats for this?
Dr. Carson is not running for president, but if he did I'd vote for him and I wouldn't be surprised if you didn't vote for him too. He is a very persuasive individual - just full of common sense and common ground. I don't think his message is necessarily conservative, but he does think some of the things Pres. Obama has done have not been good for this country. He strikes me as a person who has probably pulled the lever for both democrats and republicans (think Reagan and Clinton) if he thought they would be good for the country.

Personally, I think he's milking all the coverage he got from the Prayer Breakfast speech to help his foundation, which provides scholarships to kids. But that's okay with me because it is a good foundation. He also made some very good points, like we need more doctors and scientists in Washington instead of lawyers. Lawyers are trained to win at all costs, to fit the facts to suit their argument. Scientists are trained to assess the facts to help them find solutions to problems. Honestly, he impresses me more each time I see him in interviews. The man is amazing, and has an amazing story. I bet his mother was an incredible person.

Old 02-17-2013, 11:49 PM

I found his speech to be rather boring except for the only humorous part where he said birds who can talk should speak up before they are eaten.

Old 02-17-2013, 11:51 PM

554 posts, read 608,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Lawyers are trained to win at all costs, to fit the facts to suit their argument.
Lawyers are trained to make arguments. Juries (and judges, in non-jury matters) determine facts.

If you were sued, or involved in a divorce, or otherwise needed a lawyer, I'm sure you'd be seeking the best possible representation.

I find that lawyer-bashing is typically the reserve of people who don't have a clue as to what lawyers actually do.

5,758 posts, read 11,635,426 times
I don't even know what his stances are on some of the biggest issues of the moment, such as foreign policy or how he feels about interventionism abroad. I'm not sure he has addressed those topics yet.

18,258 posts, read 22,530,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Dr. Ben Carson surprised a lot of people when he gave a speech at the National Prayer Breakfast a week or two ago, pointing out how silly and destructive liberalism and Obamacare were... to the President's face. It's taking a while for the liberals to recover. But the response will be inevitable: Dr. Carson is a rube, a stupid idiot, a dolt, a heartless supporter of the Top 2% or whatever the proportion is now, etc. These are the things they call EVERY conservatives when rthey can't refute most of what he says. The question is not IF they will begin these attacks on Dr. Carson, but WHEN.

Why is it taking them so long? It's been more than a week.

Anyone want to guess when they will have reduced him, in their own minds at least, to "Goofy" or "McCarthy" status?
What I find so ridiculous about this thread and all of the clueless Republicans jumping on the Dr. Ben Carson bandwagon is that the vast majority have never even read the man's book and aren't familiar with his success story and definitely had never heard of him before a week ago.

Dr Ben Carson's book "Gifted Hands" probably sits on more nightstands of churchgoing Black people than the Republicans are even comfortable with. And yet the same old rhetoric that is used to denigrate Black Americans continues despite proof (the 2012 Presidential election) that the old tactics no longer work.

Dr. Carson is beloved by the "Black community" and yet the RWNJs are too deeply entrenched in their tired old talking points to even realize it.

Last edited by calipoppy; 02-18-2013 at 12:14 AM..

Old 02-17-2013, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Did he say what is supposed to happen to sick people who don't have the money to pay for health insurance or medical care? I don't think the emergency room wants repeat visits from people who are chronically sick.
He said instead of paying all that healthcare money to hospitals for indigent care, we should give every newborn a birth certificate, a social security card, and a health savings plan to which they can contribute pre-tax money to all their lives (and we could do it for poor people). The idea was that people would be more responsible with spending their own money on healthcare. Instead of going to the emergency room for high blood pressure, they could go to a private clinic where the doctor will not only give them medicine, but help them with the underlying problems. People don't get that in emergency rooms.

These are just common sense things that politicans will tell you are impossible to implement, but they really aren't.

Old 02-17-2013, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
I found his speech to be rather boring except for the only humorous part where he said birds who can talk should speak up before they are eaten.
I'm not sure what speech you watched. I thought it was one of the best speeches I've heard in a long time. But then again, I'm always bored by Barack Obama's speeches when so many are enthralled. To each his own I guess.

Old 02-18-2013, 12:01 AM

30,348 posts, read 51,937,226 times
Two questions - why are you guys drooling over this person, and why are you so anxious for "the left" to hate him? I know nothing about him, didn't even know of his speech until it was posted here, and so far have only heard right-wingers giving their opinions. You know why it's been a week with none of your predicted name-calling? Because most of us don't care about him! Seriously, give it a rest and stop asking us when we're going to react; we aren't, game over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies